COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David McWhinney
How do I roll Video Only in FCP X
on Feb 4, 2013 at 4:25:52 am

Hi All

In FCP 7 if I want to roll only the video I hold down the option key
How do I do that in FCP X
If it is possible , does it work in both a primary storyline and connected clips?
Thanks

David

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: How do I roll Video Only in FCP X
on Feb 4, 2013 at 5:15:11 am

First expand Audio/Video (Control-S). Then you can trim audio and video independently.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

David McWhinney
on Feb 4, 2013 at 6:03:52 am

Thanks Noah
Worked as you say...shame you can't hold down a key like FCP 7
Been using FCP since version2 , been checking out X to see if I can do a news edit on it
I am a veteran news editor ( BBC , CNN and now Aljazeera English)
We currently edit our news stories in the field with FCP 7 and FTP back to office.
Shoot on XDCAM at moment.
Trying to get a workflow for FCP X to do a news edit.
Still confused when to use a storyline and a connected clip
Basically will have a reporter track , a couple of interviews and a reporter stand up and wondering where best to place them......cant seem to roll video on connected clips
Anyway, many thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:31:40 am

David,
X should be super easy and effective for what you're trying to do.
A key is to learn to leverage the two stage edit design of X.
Import and work FIRST in the event browser. Do NOT go straight to the timeline as you are used to in FCP7.
To do so robs you of much of what's efficient and special about X.
Pre organize and even Pre-edit in your event browser first. Use the temporary dashboard tags (Favorite or Rejected) to eliminate the dreck from field tapes and narrow your focus. Then skim and range select and tag just the story's narrative thread using keywords. Do this to both the best of your standups and actualities and the best of your B-Roll. Apply keywords to ID them. Only then open a new storyline and Drop those assets into it and use the magnetism to arrange the flow. Essentially you do your clip ID and trimming work in stage one, and your story building in stage two. Lastly use the keywords and ranges you applied to your B-roll to add those shots as connected clips - creating classic cutaways.

It might sound more complex then the classic process of building everything on a timeline in one operation, but you'll soon start to see how the new process of Pre organizing, tagging ranges and applying keywords in advance frees you to blast through edits, alternate versions and changes with amazing speed and efficiency.

It's a new way to think and work, but everyone I know who's embraced it can't imagine going back to single stage editing for short-form time sensitive work like a news story.

It'll take some adaptation and learning on your part, but the X workflow, once learned, I suspect will transform your job and make it a lot easier.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:43:27 am

[Bill Davis] "Import and work FIRST in the event browser. Do NOT go straight to the timeline as you are used to in FCP7.
To do so robs you of much of what's efficient and special about X."

i dont get it? whats to say anyone worked that way in FCP 7.

In FCP 7, i did all my work in the bins too, before starting to cut something. Doesnt everyone? I dont know many people who just whack a ton of clips in a timeline and figure out in&outs/ markers/ etc later. Who works that way? Sure things get trimmed, chopped and screwed as you go but thats editng, no matter the app.

Pretty much standard practice there Bill, no matter the app. If you used to work that way in 7, maybe thats why you think X is such a revolution.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:26:51 am

[Neil Goodman] "Pretty much standard practice there Bill, no matter the app. If you used to work that way in 7, maybe thats why you think X is such a revolution.
"

No Neil. I knew all about Bins in Legacy. What was so dammed frustrating looking back is that no matter how much prep work I did there - it all functionally disappeared the moment I closed a Legacy project. There was no persistent visual representation of what I'd done when the project was shut down. And I could only open one project at a time! Perish the idea that I was working in one project and realized an asset that I'd used in another one could help my edit in this one. Walled garden firmly in place. If it's outside the project, all I can do is go find it an re-import another reference and make sure I remember that I now inefficiently had it in TWO capture scratches. (I never worked on a SAN system) Going back to Legacy in those first months, that's something I deeply missed. The "without an open project you have nothing" reality felt to be a huge step back for me emotionally.

Legacy after X felt like having to work on islands, rather than a cohesive editing continent as I'd gotten used to.

I know I could developed complex arrangements of multiple Projects and timelines and nested clips, and the like to handle the organizational necessities of complex projects. And I've been very impressed at how people in Legacy have created those arrangements of options to make their editing lives easier.

But Legacy wasn't designed to relationally connect assets to data and vice versa. And X is. Legacy's management was nearly totally a flat file construct.

Legacy's Bins are honestly a pretty far cry from X's Event Browser.

That's not that they weren't useful and even flexible. But there wasn't a way to go much beyond what it was because (IMO) of the limited structure of the data management IN the projects.

I know you've kicked the tires with X a good bit, so you should be well aware of those differences if you think about them. If not, you likely haven't explored much of X's organizational depth.

In Legacy I could color code my clips of a particular type. I could copy them into multiple Sequences and manage those - but I could never virtually reach into a those sequences and search out asset classes by agile distinctions that I was allowed to create and manage on the fly , and with X you can.

That's a pretty big distinction IMO.

I'm 1.5 years into X and I'm STILL finding new things I can do with the database nearly every week. I never explored trying to be super creative with bins or the limited color codes or folder names in Legacy because there wasn't much capability under the hood of that system.

And at one fundamental level, more limited the tool, the less creative you can be with it.

My view anyway. I'm open to hearing an argument a countering view if you like. And I'd certainly be interested in how you see the Legacy approach to asset organization as equal to or even superior to the way it's done in X.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:48:14 am

I would agree that asset organization on the front end is better in nearly every way in FCPX than Legacy. Depends on if you throw things like buggy Favorites creation, spinning beach balls on large projects etc, but definitely a step up so large its hard to ever go back.

However, I would say its asset organization on the back end leaves quite a lot to be desired currently, particularly for sizable projects. For one, FCPX doesn't respect the folder structure media was originally nested in. Yes, I know you can leave media right where it is, but the alias' that are created in the Original Media folder are made all the same. The problem comes into large projects that very likely have same file names here and there. Due to its all in one folder methodology it can't have files with the same name inside so it appends these aliases with (fcp2, fcp3, fcp4, and so on). All well and good, but there becomes management issues, for instance in importing XML from other programs like Plural Eyes or Resolve. Only when media is imported into one event does FCPX handle the same file name appending. If you import XML which always makes a new Event and then try any flavor of merging the two (many reasons why this would be desirable) FCPX says there are two files with the same name and operation can't be performed.

And this doesn't even get into the whole "addressable objects" issues and others that comes along with that.

I'm all for FCPX trying to make media managing "dummy proof" but I wish there was almost some kind of Advanced user On/Off switch or slider than let you turn off some file management efficiencies and data loading in exchange for better navigation performance which FCPX completely struggles with on huge projects.

I'm sure everything I said is arguable, but I must be on to something since I was contacted directly acknowledging the very problem and the film I ran into these problems with is now the guinea pig in their labs for a hopeful eventual fix.

Director, Editor, Colorist
http://www.trsociety.com

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 5, 2013 at 5:34:27 am

No argument there Bill.I was mainly just pointing out that the approach is very much the same while in any NLE. X is great at organizing on the front end. Its on the timeline where it falls apart for me a little bit. What can i say, i like tracks.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Jon Cairns
on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:32:46 pm

[Bill Davis] "And I could only open one project at a time! Perish the idea that I was working in one project and realized an asset that I'd used in another one could help my edit in this one. Walled garden firmly in place. If it's outside the project, all I can do is go find it an re-import another reference and make sure I remember that I now inefficiently had it in TWO capture scratches."

However, you can/could have more than a single project open. And drag sequences or bins from one project to another. So reusing assets in a project was doable and you don't need to copy the files, it simply points to the same files in the same location. But maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by reimport it and having it in two capture scratches?

I don't say this to be combative just to point out that that isn't new. I've implemented X into our workflow so this isn't a "Legacy is better and X is flawed" argument.

Jon

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:44:36 pm

[Jon Cairns] "And drag sequences or bins from one project to another."

That might be the rub.

If you rely on finder copying for things. You are constantly shifting the location of assets, and that's precisely what breaks the power of the X relational database.

At least the way X is structured right now - you can't have BOTH the power of the relational database in the Event Browser (and it IS very powerful nearly everyone acknowledges) and preserve the concept of dragging assets around in the finder at will.

They're incompatible approaches.

Return to posts index

Jon Cairns
on Feb 5, 2013 at 8:26:18 pm

Bill,

But it isn't a finder copy. It's all done within FCP 7. You stated earlier that you couldn't have more than one project open in Legacy which meant that you had to reimport footage so you wound up with multiple copies in a scratch folder. What I am saying is that you can have multiple projects open and move elements from one project to another, all of which will reference the original file.

Yes X saves the step of having to open an earlier project to access the element compared to Legacy. Of course if you've moved the Event that media is in out of the Events folder then you need to go an put it back online...

Not arguing that the old way is better, just reacting to the impression that you give that you couldn't move media (references since it's just the pointer in FCP) before FCPX.

FWIW

Jon

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Feb 5, 2013 at 8:29:44 pm

C'mon guys, your arguing pretty stupid shit here. Anyone who bothers to come to this board is well aware of the extremely rudimentary feature set of FCP Legacy your talking about. Its just semantics and no one else educating anyone anything here.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Feb 4, 2013 at 4:13:03 pm

Hi David

I would be interested to know what you think of Bills suggestions about keywording, tagging and pre organising. He is totally correct about that being the best way to make X work and he knows X very well.

What I was wondering was if you feel you have time to do all that in some scenarios. My experience of being on the receiving end of news feeds cut in the field is that you have very little time, often minutes to just quickly top and tail a piece to camera, maybe add some B Roll and play out down the line.
I often work in quick turnaround sports news and we get feeds from correspondents where they literally trim a PTC from a presenter, leave gaps for B Roll that perhaps contain just V/O and play out. I then fill in the gaps with the appropriate B Roll, add a lower third or two, make sure everything is mixed and the file gets transferred to the studio for TX, often with minutes or even less to spare to air time.

There is no reason why you couldn't cut those pieces in the field with X, but do you feel you would usually have time to exploit its excellent database options ?

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 4, 2013 at 4:17:51 pm

[David McWhinney] "Still confused when to use a storyline and a connected clip
Basically will have a reporter track , a couple of interviews and a reporter stand up and wondering where best to place them......cant seem to roll video on connected clips
Anyway, many thanks for your help"

While Bill's answer is a very efficient use of all FCPX has to offer.... You can still just simply throw shots into the timeline to build, without using any of the metadata features of it.

Skimming gets you through your footage very quickly so quick "on the road" edits are easy in FCPX

I put all narrative elements in my primary and add Broll as connected clips, holding the "tilde" key ~ will temporarily disable any clip connections to the primary which means you can roll without any other clips moving.

I find X extremely fast for news style cuts.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Feb 4, 2013 at 4:58:00 pm

Possibly even quicker than making new Timelines or Projects as they are actually called would be to make range selections or even multiple range selections and hit Opt-G making Compound Clips that now become your packages to more quickly pull from in your news story beats. You can really blast ass with this method when blasting ass is needed.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:03:10 pm

Here's the thing.

I'm a huge proponent of editors gritting their teeth and learning the unique X workflow - rather than concentrating on the shortcut ways to use a subset of it's structure to collapse the process down to the essential elements of just getting out a really fast edit.

Why? Because to condition yourself to use the fastest part of a process sequesters your understanding of all the tools the program provides you. And if you do that - you delay your knowledge of when the new tools can make your work incredibly easier, and you won't have conditioned your editing brain to the new operations and keystrokes as reflexes.

Essentially, if you're shooting a one person talking head in the field - YES just working a "timeline edit" might save you minutes. And I fully understand that in a breaking new situation, minutes might count a LOT. But you won't always be on deadline. And I think it's important not to stop there in your learning this tool.

Heck, today's reporter stand up with one actuality and B-roll gig might be today - but tomorrow it might be 3 days with nine interviewees generating hours of content and then you're in the Hotel Room trying to find just the best of ALL THAT footage - your time spent learning all the subtle keystroke efficiencies and the power of the keyword library might potentially save you DAYS in post.

Again, X "can" be made to work like a more traditional editing program if that's what you concentrate on. But it ALSO can work like a new more data and search centric editing program - and there's massive power lurking under it's hood but you only get to that power IF you take the time to learning the whole process.

I guess I'm arguing that sure, it's easier to learn just what you need to do to make the kind of work you used to do somewhat faster.

But it's way more powerful to learn ALL that the program can do, so that you can decide when to employ which elements of it's structure that are best for various kinds of editing.

And I'm sensitive to seeing so many people come to X and the (very natural) first questions they ask are the ones related to how it does what their OLD software did.

But X is NOT your old software. It's new software. And the power of the new approach means you must move mentally and emotionally out of the way you once DID things - and move along to how you might use it's tools to do exciting new things.

I'm remembering Charlie posting about getting home early from his BBC editing and his being surprised at that. That resonated with me because I had similar experiences. The funny thing is that while I was learning X for a while I was worried that because I was spending more time BEFORE my timeline work, it would ADD to my "to do" list and make me slower. But the reality I experienced was that the bit of extra work I did in the Event Browser, was already building my edit in ways I didn't fully understand - and typically led to leveraged efficiency that was making HUGE gains in my actual assembly and editing and revising and perfecting process - so much so that I was getting my overall projects done way faster.

It's not an intuitive feeling, because we're all really well conditioned to think that the "real editing" only starts when you get to the timeline.

But in X, once you learn it's ways, you're often doing REAL editing in the Event Browser and keyword collections - not just prep. And so when you get to the timeline, you already have FOCUSED your edit thinking in so many meaningful ways, that the assembly process can sometimes be so fast that I find myself surprised that I'm actually DONE with an edit after a very few minutes on the timeline.

That's totally counter to my conditioning with Legacy editing where the building of the story only began when I started dropping clips on the timeline and building my edit.

I know I sound like a broken record, but you really do kind of have to know this tool pretty well before you begin to see why it's so powerful for exactly the kind of "distill a body of material to it's essence and arrange it and output it all FAST" process which kinda describes the fast moving world of visual information management today.

And heck, if you understand the overall X workflows, THEN it's possible to dump as much of that as you need and just rock the Storyline by itself to meet an insane deadline.

I just wouldn't train myself that way. It's way too limiting, in my view.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 5, 2013 at 1:02:23 am

[Bill Davis] "But X is NOT your old software. It's new software. And the power of the new approach means you must move mentally and emotionally out of the way you once DID things - and move along to how you might use it's tools to do exciting new things.

I'm remembering Charlie posting about getting home early from his BBC editing and his being surprised at that. That resonated with me because I had similar experiences"

I assume it's another Charlie... :-) In any case... I agree with what you're saying with one caveat. In my case, I didn't have the luxury of time to learn all the intricacies of X before I started cutting with it. It was better for me to learn how to get X to do what I was used to doing, even though I wasn't using X the way you're "supposed" to use it. I needed to get stuff done right away. Over time, as i've gotten used to it, I've started to do more things "the X way", whatever that really means.

The really cool part of X for me, is that you can work lots of different ways. You can move stuff around willy nilly like FCP 7, you can have the timeline behave in a very Avid like way using storylines, it's pretty versatile really. That, to me, is the X way. And if learning to use it means you need to get it to act in a more familiar fashion initially, then I think that's what you should do.

I feel that saying "it's a whole new way of editing that you must learn!" can be counterproductive. In many ways it is, but in many way it really isn't either, and you can make it work in whatever way suits you, digging deeper as you get going. Well, unless you want fixed tracks. Then you're SOL. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:04:46 am

[Charlie Austin] " assume it's another Charlie... :-) In any case..."

Wasn't that you? I cuulda sworn...

Anyway, I get what you're saying, but I just keep feeling like I'm getting more and more efficient with X - and one way is that the more time I spend with work in the event browser, the less time I'm spending in the storyline thereafter.

I seem to be building skills in each that leverage efficiency in the other.

In fact, day before yesterday I had a bunch of radio spots to voice and deliver for an ad agency I do work for pretty regularly.

I spent about 15 minutes in the VO booth, with the usual mistakes, re-takes and alternates in the resulting sound file. What happened next was kinda interesting to me. After I'd used the Event Browser to dump the dreck with REJECT - range trimmed the good takes quickly, but with a practiced "feel" for leaving the right amount of pause before and after the actual content - then a review pass through the "good" takes to tag and rate them with 1 to 5 quality keyword ratings - I noticed I had just one "best" take for each, so I clicked on my "5" rated collection. Selected ALL. Plopped them into a storyline.

And when I played back the result, realized that my job of assembling the client review reel was literally DONE at that point. I'd literally editing my entire project in the EB. I Shared them to the client and put the software away.

Period. no storyline editing AT ALL. I'd done ALL my actual editing work right in the Event Browser.

Now obviously audio editing is NOT video editing. But it reminded me that this one way X's database leverages efficiency really well. Viewing the Event Browser as both first stage editor and QUALITY SORTER simultaneously - can remove tremendous complexity during prep edit. And in my case, I removed so much of the necessary downstream work in the EB that there was literally none left to do in my storyline.

First time THATS ever happened to me working with X!

If the client approves those spots, I have a slate tone clip in my EB to paste-connect to each spot, connect the proper voice ID clip - and BINGO I'm about 3 minutes away from delivery to the media buyer for distribution to the stations in the time buy.

First time I've edited anything where my "timeline" work was literally the most insignificant part of my workflow.

Thanks to how "X" works.

Again, I know audio editing and video editing are two different beasts. But the idea remains. The power of X is in the INTERACTION of the EB and the Storyline. And most often, understanding one without understanding the other obscures concepts that truly can enhance your editing experiences.

Not always, not exclusively, and depending you your workflow, perhaps not at all. But the software makes that kind of pre-editing to eliminate complexity from your timeline possible.

To me, my little radio spot edit revealed a good example of how new thinking can drive a lot of new efficiency - and it was made possible purely though my understanding how X is designed to work.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 5, 2013 at 12:01:39 pm

I'm a 30-year veteran of shooting and editing for the major networks in the U.S. I worked as a freelancer that mostly worked full-time. If you watched the Branch Davidian compound burn on any CBS station you were watching my camera. I've edited hundreds of pieces for NBC's Nightly News and Today Show, CBS Evening News and Morning News and ABC's World News Tonight. I worked at the Dallas bureaus of the nets.

I could write a book about my network news travels but all I have after years of thinking about it is a title. Not a kiss-and-tell book but a network news adventures book.

Going back to the original post of wondering if X can be used to cut news I'm here to tell you yes, yes yes.

Some well-intentioned posters here talk about prep and organization and how it can help and while that's true, it's not so practical when crashing a piece for national broadcast. If I missed a Nightly News deadline, for example, it would be the last time I edited for that show.

The fastest way to build a news piece is to first build the primary storyline, and I mean that in a generic sense. Build the primary sound first; narration, soundbite, narration, standup, soundbite, narration close, for example.

Start covering the narration with picture. Long pictures at first if you're looking at a looming deadline. Then insert some sound pops between narration and soundbite or wherever appropriate. Try to catch levels and color as you go.

The idea here is that if all goes to hell in a hand basket, then you have complete and covered sound to put on the air.

From there its a matter of pretty-ing it up using what time you may have left.

But, back to the answer on whether X is good for crashing a news piece. Absolutely! X, once you 'get it', is an extension of your thoughts and doesn't get in the way. I thought I was fast on 7 but I FLY on X!

Starting three and a half years ago the freelance money from the networks shrank considerably. Now I do a lot of corporate editing and I do it in a department where there are about six others. I was the first to move to X. Before X and now after X I'm considerably faster than anyone else. I point to all the years of making drop-dead deadlines and believe me, some days were nail biters. I mean, have you ever been asked to take the word "the" out of an edited piece six minutes before its the national lead story on NBC Nightly News? When you were still using tape-to-tape? It'll shorten your life span!

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Dan Boyd
on Jan 30, 2014 at 5:07:54 am

Thanks Noah for giving a direct answer to the question David posed. I am certified in FCPX and understand it pretty well but once in a while I run into a FCPX shortcoming that reminds me why I called it iMovie Pro when X was first released. You'd think a pro software editing package would allow you to animate the color board via keyframes and I would certainly think a roll edit on a connected clip would be possible. Thanks to Noah I now know the secret code that allows me to do something that I should be able to do directly in the timeline oh crap I mean storyline or is it a project?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]