FORUMS: list search recent posts

add notes to multiple clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
add notes to multiple clips
on Feb 2, 2013 at 4:08:40 pm

Hello.
I am currently building up a three episodes documentary from a ten day shooting. I have a lot of clips divided by date in the event browser, and each has a keyword describing the origin (f.e. ambient, underwater, above water...). Now it would be very useful for me to further divide the clips under the keywords using the notes, as I used to do in FCP7. For example, adding "car trip", then "launching the boat", then "riding the boat to the spot" and so on to the "above the water" keyworded clips, so that I can visually know where a set ends. I can't find a way to do this other than individually highlight the clips and paste the description.

Kind regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: add notes to multiple clips
on Feb 2, 2013 at 6:40:11 pm

If you go into the event browser (where yiur clips are), you can change the view to have a clip at the top (whatever one is active) and list view below it. There is a notes column in there. Click it at the top and drag it to a position you can see it in. Then type in your notes. The text is searchable.

Is that what you're looking for?

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Feb 2, 2013 at 7:51:02 pm

Well, not really.
What I'd like to be able to do is adding the same note to multiple clips, like I was in FCP7. It's a feature I used a lot. In FCP7, in one of the "comment" columns (there were two, if I remember right, plus another column that could be used for the same purpose), I could select a few clips at the same time, ctrl-click on the column on the line of the clip I wanted to apply the text to, write the description, and it would apply to all the selected clips at once. Right clicking or ctrl-clicking on the column would bring up a window with all the already applied text descriptions, making it easier and faster to tag more clips. It was also very useful to reveal used clips. I could use the "find" tool, look for the used or unused ones, and then apply the desired tag that would stay visible. Unless there's something I am missing, it seems there's only one notes column in FCPX, and I can't apply the text to multiple clips at one (f.e., "driving to Cartagena" or "preparing for dinner"). A workaround could be batch renaming the clips in the event browser, but it would not be the same.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 2, 2013 at 8:40:23 pm

Use the info tab of the inspector.

Select multiple clips, Click the "info" tab, and add a note.

All selected clips will get the note.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 2, 2013 at 8:45:17 pm

With the event in list view, you can select multiple clips. Open the inspector to the info pane and enter the same text (or copy and paste it) into the appropriate field. It will be applied to all the selected clips at one time. For example, all clips from the same scene. Type in the scene name/number once in the inspector info pane and it then appears in that column for all of the selected clips.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Feb 2, 2013 at 9:36:13 pm

Thank you!
Problem solved.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Feb 3, 2013 at 12:17:10 am

Also, consider the power of Keywords and Smart Collections more. This took me a long time to get used too, but when you do, I found that I can eliminate most of my multi column workflow, use keywords to describe an interview, b-roll, location, event, type of shot etc. and then either use a marker (which I think I better as it applies to only that moment, not the entire clip like a note column would) or note column. I do wish custom meta data fields were tabable in the browser and not a click to the inspector or multi key press.

Director, Editor, Colorist
http://www.trsociety.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Feb 3, 2013 at 12:58:51 am

I already like and use the keywords a lot. However, I need a more "nested" way to visually individuate clip within a keyword defined macro category. I find it very helpful to sort the clips in sub-collections (my main line of docs is some kind of travel chronicles), so that when I inspect a smart collection with the clips sorted by date, I can go past the meaningless naming FCPX sets and have a hint of what logical and timed sector the clips belong to. So, under the "Out of the water footage" keyword collection I can define time ranges like "packing bags", "driving to destination", and so on, keeping the main smart collection view so that I don't really need to sub define each clip. I know I can apply multiple keywords and use combined sets, but I think it gets a bit complicated. BTW, if I am not doing something wrong, it seems I can't use the timeline index or select the timeline clips and mark them as "used" or "unused" in the browser in one of the editable columns.
Regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]