FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to Replace my Greenscreen with

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wannamake Amovie
What to Replace my Greenscreen with
on Feb 2, 2013 at 4:00:53 pm

Hi I am working on a greenscreen video, which i am supposed to base on this music video:

How could i re-create the light in the background that the artists kanye west and kid cudi are in front of? i'm actually a little confused by the whole scene, because in the rihanna scene it looks as though she is actually standing infront of the light. in the scene with kanye west it and kid cudi it doesn't look as though they were actually filmed infront of the light but rather cut into the scene.

Anyways, my questions are.

1. How can I recreate the light in the background?

2. What else could I cut into the background for a similar scene/look to please the manager?

I have actually tried cutting the characters into the scene but I haven't been pleased with any of the outcomes. It is my first time working with green screen material. I believe most of it doesn't look any good because the artist's manager i am creating the video for insists on overly use of contrast.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: What to Replace my Greenscreen with
on Feb 2, 2013 at 10:52:47 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't see any green screen work in that video. That would have just complicated things. They just shot a couple people performing the song in a couple locations and cut between them. Classic down and dirty music video. Someone knew what they were doing with lighting and shadow to give a pretty dramatic contrasty effect. But it's not overly so.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 3, 2013 at 8:18:18 pm

Rhianna was shot in front of the light. The other two really just look like they were keyed in front of a blurred circle that's supposed to be a spotlight although it may have been shot in a large room with a real spot on a far wall. I don't see enough wrap from the spot light to make me think its real.

If you had to recreate the Rhianna part of the clip where she's obscuring the light, you might look at Boris Continuum Complete's 3D lens flare filter, or similar. With some careful masking, you could probably get a nice spotlight effect that wrapped around and shone "past' the actor in front of it.

In any event, you might want to ask the question in the Morion or After Effects forums as FCPX can do compositing but I'd really want to be doing anything complex in an app that gives me more control.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Wannamake Amovie
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:56:57 pm

sadly, i don't own after effects nor have i ever worked with it, all i've got is final cut. is it possible to create that kind of spotlight background without after effects?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:25:27 pm

While you won't have the control you'd get in AFX or Motion, you can experiment with some generators, effects and transitions available in FCPX. In the Generator tab check out Solids and Elements. They can be modified by Effects. Look at Blurs, Distortion, Light, Looks and Stylize. Play with Transitions in Blurs and Lights. You may be able to adjust the transition parameters to create a frame you can freeze to create a background. Good luck.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]