FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to "Favorite" when you've opened an Event clip with "Open in Timeline"?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
Is there a way to "Favorite" when you've opened an Event clip with "Open in Timeline"?
on Feb 1, 2013 at 10:22:19 pm

I basically do the same edit 3 times every week, so I'm doing everything in my power to speed up the process where I can.

I first open the original 30-45 minute file from the Event with "Open in Timeline". Then, I sync up the audio with the video.

While I'm there, I'd like to also set the I and O points and save as a Favorite, but I can't seem to find a way to do it in the timeline. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Is there a way to "Favorite" when you've opened an Event clip with "Open in Timeline"?
on Feb 1, 2013 at 10:57:15 pm

set the range in the Event Browser and favorite.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
Re: Is there a way to "Favorite" when you've opened an Event clip with "Open in Timeline"?
on Feb 2, 2013 at 5:05:59 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "set the range in the Event Browser and favorite."

I guess I didn't explain that very well, that's what I do now after I've opened the file, completed my audio syncing in the timeline, and then have left the timeline.

Since this "timeline" comes from the Event Browser and not from a Project, is there a way to set I and O points while I'm in the timeline and then make a favorite out of it? I've tried the Range Tool to set I O points and "Favorite" it, but it doesn't work.

I'm certainly not the first to point this out, but not having a scrubber in the Event Viewer is a bit of a pain. I get it done with arrow keys, but it be nice if there was a way to "Favorite" an Event clip while in the timeline view.

I thought I might be missing something, but maybe not.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Feb 2, 2013 at 9:32:47 am

[Dave Gage] " but it be nice if there was a way to "Favorite" an Event clip while in the timeline view."

This isn't directly answering your question, which I don't think is possible, but when I am working with long interview clips which I want to organise using Favourites I create a project and open the file within it and then use the blade tool to create in and outs. Once I have finished working through the clip I then individually highlight the selections, select reveal in event browser (shift F) and then hit F to create a favourite.

This method enables me to work through clips really quickly with the ability to be able to view the clip in great detail within the project using the adjust timeline view options.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Feb 3, 2013 at 8:24:13 pm

[Mark Dobson] "I create a project and open the file within it and then use the blade tool to create in and outs. Once I have finished working through the clip I then individually highlight the selections, select reveal in event browser (shift F) and then hit F to create a favourite."

I don't think this would speed up my workflow for reasons I won't go into at the moment, but this is a great tip. I've not yet used the "reveal in event browser (shift F)" command. I'll give it a try later.

It's actually not bad using the Event Browser and Viewer to set I O points and then make a Favorite, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 2, 2013 at 1:02:52 pm

[Dave Gage] "Since this "timeline" comes from the Event Browser and not from a Project, is there a way to set I and O points while I'm in the timeline and then make a favorite out of it? I've tried the Range Tool to set I O points and "Favorite" it, but it doesn't work. "

Yes, you can't favorite from a timeline. But you can match frame back to the clip in tge browser and favorite there.

[Dave Gage] "I'm certainly not the first to point this out, but not having a scrubber in the Event Viewer is a bit of a pain. I get it done with arrow keys, but it be nice if there was a way to "Favorite" an Event clip while in the timeline view.
"

Yes, the event viewer's scrubber is still in the event. It would be nice to actually scrub the viewer.

If you had favorites on a timeline, it could possibly conflict with the favorites on the corresponding clip in the Browser.

Match framing back, or making a new compound, selecting a range in the Browser, and favoriting that should get what you want while managing any conflicts.

There are other ways to sync material in fcpx as well.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Feb 3, 2013 at 8:27:03 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Yes, you can't favorite from a timeline."

That was really the main question. I can keep doing what I'm doing, it works fine. With arrow keys in the Event Viewer, it's basically scrubbing anyway.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Feb 5, 2013 at 1:22:53 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Yes, the event viewer's scrubber is still in the event. It would be nice to actually scrub the viewer. "

Yeah. Also would be nice to have a separate time code display for the event viewer and display for tc in and tc out (and then an in to out total that is displayed when you set i and o). Current tc is probably fine where they have it in the middle. In and out tc and range tc need to be added somewhere.

I love the idea of the film strip under the event viewer that has been posted on the feature wishlist. I find that one of the biggest disconnect for a new user is setting rough IOs in the event. If they rely on timecode, they have 3 places to look at the same time; the film strip in the event, the tc reader in the middle, and the event viewer window. You get used to it, but it is difficult to start and could be much faster.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 5, 2013 at 3:08:16 am

[Keith Koby] "Yeah. Also would be nice to have a separate time code display for the event viewer and display for tc in and tc out (and then an in to out total that is displayed when you set i and o). Current tc is probably fine where they have it in the middle. In and out tc and range tc need to be added somewhere."

No doubt tc needs some love, and you're right should be faster and better. I think there should be another tc window for clip tc right next to the sequence tc, or perhaps a popup HUD of tc for all layers. What's weird is that multiclips have a better tc display, it would be nice if that carried over to non multiclips.

Typing tc in the search field would be nice if it could return some results (i.e. move the playhead) for the selected clip.

Control-d will show you the length of a range by the way.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]