FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having difficulty BREAKING APART and RE-ATTACHING audio from clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Swift
Having difficulty BREAKING APART and RE-ATTACHING audio from clips
on Feb 1, 2013 at 3:16:06 pm

I had thought that to break apart the audio from a clip you double clicked on the clip, but I can only do from the clip menu or SHIFT-COMMAND-G. Question in FXPX 10.0.7 when you have an audio track that is broken apart should it be green or blue (like the video track) because mine is green very similar to its colour if I DETACH the audio from the clip.

So then after I have edited the audio I am supposed to be able to double click on it and bring the video and audio back together but I cant. Also I dont see a menu item to do this either.

Can anyone help and please be gentle :-) as this is only my first week using the product.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: Having difficulty BREAKING APART and RE-ATTACHING audio from clips
on Feb 1, 2013 at 3:38:41 pm

You are confusing 2 commands:

- Detaching audio: where indeed, the audio file becomes green, and the only way to get it back with the video again is compounding it again. Also, if your audio and video get out of sync in this way, you will never know (there are currently still no out-of-sync markers in FCPX).

- EXPANDING audio and Video: this is what you mean. There, you double click on the waveform of a clip (but be sure not to be on the volume-level line, it can be a but clumsy sometimes) to expand it for that clip. You can there make a J-cut or L-cut. Double click it again, and FCPX shows it as one clip again (called collapse audio-video). (which can be misleading, if you make a J-cut where the audio starts a lot earlier than the video, and collapse it again, you won't see anywhere that your audio is starting a lot earlier - although you will hear it - unless you expand it again). The easiest way to get what you want is go to View - Expand Audio/Video - For all. After you are done, click Collapse Audio-Video.

I've asked Apple multiple times trough the feedback form for one change, where if you click the menu item: Expand Video/Audio - for All, that FCPX would always show that expanded view also for clips that you put in the timeline AFTER you have clicked on that menu-command. Oh well.

Since 10.0.6 there is also an Expand Audio Components command, to get all your channels seperately.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2013 at 4:27:30 pm

What Mathieu says.

Control-s expands audio.

Control-option-s expands audio components.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Roy Swift
on Feb 2, 2013 at 2:11:26 am

Both you guys ROCK !!! thanks gents I was using totally the wrong command and so couldn't get the damn video back together with the audio !

Born Again Video Editor !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]