FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) running very slow on my iMac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Raciti
Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) running very slow on my iMac
on Jan 31, 2013 at 6:49:09 pm

Hi all, thanks in advance for any recommendations you might be able to make. My Final Cut Pro X program is running very slow, making editing difficult. Even placing one word of text over a video takes 5 minutes. I have plenty of space on my hard drive (more than 60% free) and I have 4 GB RAM. 3.06 GHx processor. I am editing directly off the computer's drive and I have no other projects open other than the short video I am working on, and not sure what the problem might be. Hope someone can help - thank you!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) running very slow on my iMac
on Jan 31, 2013 at 10:13:57 pm

Post in the FCPX forum. You'll get a better response to your question. This is the FCP1-7 area.

http://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Michael Raciti
on Jan 31, 2013 at 10:25:28 pm

Thank you Ryan, will do.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jan 31, 2013 at 10:29:39 pm

Does restarting have any effect? Can you move your project to an external drive?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 31, 2013 at 10:36:06 pm

You are going to need more RAM.

Return to posts index

Michael Raciti
on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:37:51 pm

Thank you, I suspected that might be my issue. Is there any temporary band-aid that could get me through the next couple weeks?

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:04:59 am

Ram isn't your only issue here. I used to edit with 4gigs on my macbook pro 13" and it wasn't that slow.

Here are some tips:

Restart your computer once FCPX starts acting up. Usually just restarting FCPX is enough but this is a very easy way to fix lots of problems.

Make sure you're working with easy to use footage. If it's in native format it'll make everything slower. On your system I'd suggest starting by transcoding everything to proxies.

Let FCPX copy your source media into the event folder, and don't store your event on your system hard drive. Edit on a firewire or USB 3.0 external drive (although USB 2.0 for proxy is very workable).

See if your system can use the graphics card, that'll make some renders super fast.

Check the logs in your console app for any funny business.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:58:07 am

You are still going to need more RAM. If you can fit it, I'd go for at least 16GBs if not 32.

A colleagues machine slowed to a crawl until we filled it up with RAM.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Raciti
on Feb 1, 2013 at 3:07:13 am

Thanks very much! I will try all of this out and keep everyone posted in case anyone is having similar problems. Really appreciate it.
-Mike

Return to posts index

Laura Peters
on Feb 4, 2013 at 5:50:00 pm

It's probably time to trash preferences. Check out this article, FCPX: Improving Performance - FCP X: Improving Performance
http://www.larryjordan.biz/improving-fcp-x-performance/

http://www.larryjordan.biz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]