FORUMS: list search recent posts

A puzzler for you.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Roark
A puzzler for you.
on Jan 31, 2013 at 1:22:03 am

My question is, a friend of mine is making a doc about a wrestling legend from the old school days. His last experience in editing before imovie he did deck to deck editing.

I told him that his familiarity with imovie would let him pick up FCPX really quickly, and that it's pretty foolproof. I need to be more careful what I say.

When he cut deck to deck, he would take his edit tape, and then cut over it. Since it had window burns, it wasn't a problem. Well, he did the unthinkable and rendered out timelines, then brought them back in and started cutting those up. But, no window burns.

Is there a way to affect every instance of each time a clip is used in a timeline? I want to take the original timelines that reference the camera files as compound clips and somehow reconnect them to the timeline. Is this something one of the other edit systems can do? I can import and export from FCPX with 7toX and Xto7.

Anyway, it's almost a thousand cuts. If there is a way to automate this, that would be amazing.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: A puzzler for you.
on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:10:48 am

I'm sorry, can you explain this more?

He is editing self contained exports...and what's the problem?

You want to relink to the original media instead of the exports?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:36:51 am

Sorry for not being clear..

- He would cut a scene say ten minutes or so, then render it out as a self contained element with no window burns.

- He would bring that scene back in and intercut it with other self contained timelines and in some cases camera files.

- I was hoping there was a way to overlay the original timeline with the camera files over the self contained clip in the event and have all it's instances in the project refer to the change.

I tried (open in timeline) and overlaying the compound clip of the timeline to it's identical self contained twin, but it will only affect future edits.

In older school terms, it's like if FCP7 could relink a nested clip instead of the self contained one. (I know it cannot do this or I would have made the round trip)

Is there an edit system that could do this? It would save a ton of work in this 2.5 hour rats nest of a mess. The worst case is that I'm able to use the self contained clip as a reference for each cut I need to replace with the compound clip that contains the camera files.

This is a head scratcher. I'm not sure if it's possible.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:48:42 am

Fcpx is bad at relinking to nothing but the original media.

That being said, this particular situation would be hard for any NLE as there is no direct relationship between the edited cut downs and original material.

By eye seems to be the only way.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:51:08 am

Yeah, FCPX is a fussy one. I have managed to trick it by making a new clip exactly the same length and format, etc.

In this case, I'm hoping that in effect a nested sequence could replace all the cut apart self contained instances. I doubt it's possible, but I had to try and ask!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:02:02 am

[Darren Roark] "In this case, I'm hoping that in effect a nested sequence could replace all the cut apart self contained instances."

There's no way that I know to connect these two disparate sources.

Do you have the original timelines that he exported to make the self contained versions?

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:00:28 am

From my partial understanding you want a compound clip to replace all the instances of a regular clip in the timeline. Unfortunately regular clips are not "reference clips" as compound clips now are.

I can think of some possible solutions for this but it is hard to explain here. Shoot me an email and I can try to help by screen sharing and we could talk on the phone. Email my first name without the period at my company name and then ".net"

Also, can you explain why you need to do this? I understand that the timeline is just a bit less than ideal, but is there something wrong with the edit that you have to fix?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:22:45 am

By the way, my thought was to do what you started doing in that you open each and every clip in the timeline and then replace it with the compound clip as the INs and OUTs will be marked when you open the clip.

Then as you go back to your timeline you can break apart the clip (Command-Shift-G) and then you will have a clean compound clip in the timeline that refers back to your single Parent Compound Clip.

You can go one step further to restore the original clip by breaking it apart again.

This will be a tedious thing to do, but setup some custom keyboard shortcuts for Replace Edit and I'll bet you can get it done in an hour or so.

Does that make sense?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:35:26 am

I know how to set up keyboard shortcuts, but I'm not sure how to make one to replace edit that would help this.

BTW, there are over 1000+ cuts, so anything that speeds it up would be a huge help.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:49:21 am

Oh sure,

I would setup Option-T as "open in timeline". Then locate your first compound clip in the event browser and select it (clear any old selections with option-X).

Then in the timeline open your timeline index and filter for the name of the clip that corresponds with that compound clip. That will just show the clips you need to replace with that compound clip.

So select your first clip in the index then press Option-T to open the timeline. Once there select the video clip and press Shift-R to replace it with the compound clip. Then delete the extra audio from the old clip. Back out of the clip with Command-[ and move to the next clip in the timeline index.

Obviously this will be contingent on the compound clip and the exported version that he did having the exact same length.

Alternatively, instead of replacing, in the clip timeline press x to select the in and out, and then Q to connect the compound clip. Then you can assure it is correct and delete the old video and audio and move the compound clip to overwrite the primary storyline.

Does this make sense?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:56:10 am

I must be misunderstanding.

I thought the point was to replace edited self contained movies with the actual clipped captures.

Are you saying you have the original timelines from which the self contained movies were made from?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:03:13 am

It's now confusing even me. Let's say for ease, there are ten edited timelines that were exported as self contained clips. Then those ten timelines were brought back to FCPX and chopped up to make a new project.

I have then went back to those ten timelines projects that reference the original camera files and created compound clips that are identical to their self contained rendered counterparts.

The need is in order to finish this film I need to have a timeline that is linked to the original camera files. (They rendered out h.264s with temp color corrections >:(

Yes, it's a mess, and I will have to replace them shot by shot. With 1000+ cuts it's going to be no fun.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:17:34 am

Got it. Sorry for being a dunce.

Those self contained movies have a tc of zero, right?

Why can't you just follow the self contained clip tc back to the orig sequence tc mark an in, shift f, option r? Shift f matches back to clip in event, option-r, replaces from start?

Am I making sense?

It saves the step of the compound.

For instance, first clip on your timeline is from "self contained 5" at 2:45:12.

You go to the self contained 5 timeline at 2:45:12, shift-f, mark in, back to edited timeline, option-r (or add video as connected clip if there's been extensive audio work done on the timeline).

No matter what, this will be a shot by shot process.

As T said, you can do all of the shots from each self contained at once by searching in TL index.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 1, 2013 at 3:44:07 am

If the big problem is that the self contained exports have temporary color corrections, just reexport those ten timelines with the same name and specs. Then reconnect the 10 clips in the event to the newly created non-color corrected ones. Done no?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:17:46 pm

That might just be a great solution! The main issue is the story is going through a recut and not having the camera files on the timeline is difficult for the editor who is used to doing everything on timelines. (He has never used a bin in his 15 year career!)

But this may be a good compromise. At least he can have those timelines as well.

Great idea.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:57:52 am

I think that may work! I'm going to try it and report back.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:19:30 pm

This is a great workflow idea. I was able to tackle one of the lesser reels in just over an hour. One down seven to go.

Thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]