FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlaced SD ProRes files do not display correctly - a BUG?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerald Loidl
Interlaced SD ProRes files do not display correctly - a BUG?
on Jan 28, 2013 at 7:37:42 pm

I still have to deliver SD material to a broadcast station regularly. I deliver interlaced (lower field) PAL SD 16:9, ProRes masters which I´m down converting from 720P50 using either Adobe Media Encoder or Compressor.
When I´m trying to play back these files in FCPX - there seems to be an issue as the video is choppy and there are lots of interlace artifacts. Whatever I do - I cant display them correctly. I have tried these files on various systems with FCPX and its the same everywhere. The same files display correctly in FCP7, Avid and Premiere Pro on a broadcast monitor. Also the TV station has no problem with the files.

When I export these choppy files from FCPX and reimport them they display fine. Any files I export from FCPX in the same format look fine, even if I export them through the same Compressor setting I used before which gives me the incorrect playback.

Did anybody else experience this problem? If you want I could provide a couple of seconds of footage for you to test... For me it looks like a BUG

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Interlaced SD ProRes files do not display correctly - a BUG?
on Jan 29, 2013 at 1:50:07 am

Please send a file, I'd love to check.

Are the files DV based?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gerald Loidl
on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:38:14 am

Tom,
here is a link to a short sample file (12sec)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69457265/Interlace-Test.zip

When I import this file into FCPX the playback is skipping frames and its giving me interlace problems. It looks very stuttery. Tried on 4 different FCPX systems - looks the same. No problem with AVID and Premiere. The TV station also has no problem with it. Not sure if you can see it that easily in the viewer, but its clearly visible when monitored on a broadcast monitor through my Matrox MXO2 LE.

This thing really keeps me puzzled.
I did a few more tests with my wifes new Imac. It has no i/O card connected. The clip plays fine in the viewer there.
On my system with the Matrox card connected I can no longer see the problem in the viewer as well - but its still visible on the broadcast monitor.
So I played around with the field order of the clip inside FCPX. I changed it to "upper field" and of course the typical problems of a wrong field order showed up on the monitor. When I changed it back to "lower (even) fields" though the clip was suddenly displayed correctly and without issues!
I tried to replicate it with another clip which gave me troubles before and changed the field order in the information window back and forth and it now also displays correctly.
Looks like there must be a problem with the I/O driver inside FCPX or something. With this workaround I can at least show it to the client correctly inside FCPX without having to open it in another NLE...
This solved my questionThis helped me
Like (0) Reply

Level 6 (15.415 points)
Alchroma
Re: Bug with ProRes SD-16:9 interlaced video?
28.01.2013 14:54 (in response to Tom Wolsky)
Tom Wolsky wrote:

If I remember rightly PAL is supposed to be upper field first.

I don't get this comment?
All PAL SD I've worked with is lower.
Is there something with FCP X I'm not understanding?
Thanks.

Al
Like (0) Reply

Level 10 (92.905 points)
Tom Wolsky The Americas
Re: Bug with ProRes SD-16:9 interlaced video?
28.01.2013 15:01 (in response to Alchroma)
DV PAL is lower. For some mind-boggling reason D1 PAL is upper.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 30, 2013 at 11:16:00 pm

Rufus-

Thanks so much, I'll take a look.

-Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]