FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorting out Mattes from keys

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Dickson
Sorting out Mattes from keys
on Jan 26, 2013 at 2:18:03 am

Hi there,

I'm a rookie when it comes to advanced editing techniques and need some help with the following issue.

I'm working on a corporate video in FCPX

I downloaded a stock shot of a laptop computer opening up. There was a green screen in the laptop's screen area and the shot also came with a black/white matte of the laptop screen opening.

I want to kay onto the stock shot a still jpeg of a web page. I've managed to do this for when the laptops screen comes to rest in the fully open position, but am having trouble getting the image to follow the screen being raised up. Hope that's a satisfactory explanation.

Would appreciate if anyone can run through the entire process so that I can check to see if I'm doing it right. At this stage I have

Still jpeg on Primary track
Black/white matte on V2
Stock shot of laptop on V3 with Key filter applied.

I tried keyframing the shot frame by frame (adjusting the jpeg still as I went) but it's not smooth.

Thanks

Phil

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Sorting out Mattes from keys
on Jan 26, 2013 at 4:35:33 am

Either the key or travel matte won't help with the perspective.

Perhaps Motion, but I know Ae will help here.

You'll need to map the corners of the jpeg to the corners of the screen. Does the screen have tracking markers own it or is it all green?

Return to posts index

Phil Dickson
on Jan 26, 2013 at 4:53:23 am

No Jeremy, the shot didn't have tracking markers on it, something I know bugs the hell out of graphics dudes. Don't have Ae but have Motion (with a limited knowledge of it - still working thru the training manual)
Using distort, I can get the right shape and perspective, but tracking through keyframes comes out jittery and jerky.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2013 at 5:15:12 am

[Phil Dickson] "Using distort, I can get the right shape and perspective, but tracking through keyframes comes out jittery and jerky."

Yes, you need to be super diligent.

Motion has better tools for this.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jan 26, 2013 at 1:17:17 pm

save for the first frames of the opening of the screen you should be able to get a decent track from Motion's Match Move in 4 corners mode. Like most tracks there will be some manual adjustments but the bulk of the work should be possible with the tracking tool.

In fact, since you have a matte for the computer screen, why not track that? The b/w should get you a better track than the actual shot

patrice

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2013 at 2:36:06 pm

Precisely.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]