FORUMS: list search recent posts

Skimming? Is it really that great?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chi-Ho Lee
on Jan 24, 2013 at 8:46:43 pm

So I've been playing with X a bit and it seems that skimming is a huge part of using X. In so many posts, people are saying "just skim to this part of the clip and then do X, Y, or Z" or "It's so easy to just skim there..."

Haven't we all said that keyboard shortcuts are way more efficient than click and drag. We have all (generally) agreed that using JKL is way more efficient than drag the playhead thru the clip in the Viewer. But isn't skimming just the same as dragging without the click? Why don't people have a fundamental issue with skimming now when it was basically universally agreed that it was less efficient two years ago?
I know we can still JKL in X but it seems to have taken a back seat to skimming.

Sorry if it has been discussed before but I've been away for a while.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
http://www.chiholee.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Skimming? Is it really that great?
on Jan 24, 2013 at 9:50:41 pm

Yes.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:01:58 pm

Yes it is, best thing in any NLE for finding shots, the fact you can skim all the clips in your event without having to load clips

[Jason Brown] "Skimming? Is it really that great?

Yes.
"

Seconded

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:02:28 pm

I see it as another brush in the palette. FCP X can also be driven quite effectively with keyboard alone. But sometimes you just want to plow throw a mountain of clips looking for one elusive thing and for that Skimming cannot be beat.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:02:29 pm

Chi-Ho,
I think it's fair to say that 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and for some that means that skimming is the best thing since sliced bread. For others, "JKL" will be the first option and for others, a fusion or hybrid of the two will do just nicely.

I believe that Skimming is a feature and one that can be very useful and also has its place. I don't believe that the JKL feature has been deprecated. FCPX is, well, relatively, new and as such, it will introduce new concepts and new features.

But I'll read with fascination what others have to say on the matter.

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:28:38 pm

In a few words - yes, it is.

But, you don't need to click to skim. Just slide the pointer over the clip and move the pointer left and right.

Since my trackpad is right next to my keyboard, and most of my keyboard shortcuts are done with my left hand, it's really easy to simply slide back and forth over the trackpad.

Of course, I've also used Wacom tablets for year to do similar stuff in other apps.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:57:38 pm

Thanks everyone for their replies but if skimming is so great, then why did most of us poo poo'd it (dragging) back in the previous versions? It's essentially the same thing!

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 24, 2013 at 11:05:50 pm

Skimming is fantastic way to preview...it gives you 2 options of interacting with the timeline of positioning actions (blade, inserts, trims) becasue with a simple depression of the "S" key you can use that location or the location of the playhead. It gives you so much flexibility.

In addition, the "clip skimming" function is AMAZING to see content inside of a composite without having to disable tracks to see below them. Now, I always keep my left hand on the keyboard for Q-W-E-S or cmd+1,2,3 for inserting.

Pressing the S key is simple, quick and easy and for the options it gives you...it's an extremely easy way to preview clips. The double click and click and drag is a thing in my past...I'm smiling about that!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
on Jan 24, 2013 at 11:12:13 pm

For my purposes, I didn't find an implementation of skimming that I found particularly compelling to use until I saw it in Final Cut Pro X. I find it quite handy for previewing footage quickly. Previous implementations of skimming weren't nearly as fast to use.

What's your take on it Chi-Ho? Does it work for you?

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2013 at 1:54:27 am

Add another vote for skimming. Clip skimming is particularly useful when you have stacks of elements.

Clicking the top level of the event or kw collection and setting the browser to thumbnail is a fanatic tux way to buzz through footage quickly.

I find myself trying to skim in fcp7. It doesn't work. :(

Skimming is completely different than click and drag for me.

Not to mention there's also the playhead which really cool to be able to use the slimmer and playhead in tandem. The playhead saves your spot, the skimmer goes hunting for something else.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:06:31 am

JKL works great when you are close to where you want to be. But if you have to move 10 minutes away, it takes forever with JKL.

Skimming is very fast and you can cover a lot of ground quickly. So I'd say for precision edits, JKL works well, maybe better than skimming. But for finding a shot in the midst of hours of material, skimming is where it is at. It simply can't be done with JKL.

Of course you still have JKL with FCP X

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:08:51 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "really cool to be able to use the slimmer and playhead in tandem. The playhead saves your spot, the skimmer goes hunting for something else."

Yes. Love that. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:45:49 am

I'll also toss in that even if you're working with JKL in your timeline, since the Event browser can be configured to show assets in what are essentially long filmstrips which are themselves skimmable - I find it useful when I'm in a storyline to park the playhead in a place that I want to be an edit point, reach for the mouse to skim the clips in the Event Browser - and when I land on what I want - a drag and tapping a single key will either magnetically insert, overwrite or attach in a secondary that clip to the playhead position depending on the key I hit. That's one example where skimming in the EB might work well together with using JKL in for transport in the Storyline.

There are lots of ways to approach things in X. And no two editors that I've seen yet does everything the same way. But the range of tools it provides are pretty fun to use.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:00:54 pm

Thanks for all the replies. The current way I'm using the skimmer now, I turn it off a lot and use JKL. I just can't skim to a frame as precisely or as quickly as I can with JKL. Maybe it's a muscle memory thing?

But reading that using the skimmer to see a clip in the middle of a "stack" does sound useful.

I'm still using 7 for 90% of my work. Though I'm starting a small project on X now. We'll see how it goes.

thanks!

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:23:43 pm

I find a combo of skimmer and then arrow keys and space bar is pretty much how I work.

Also, to reiterate, clip skimming, which is an actual function you can turn on or or off separate from general skimming.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jan 25, 2013 at 6:08:54 am

Skimming to me has the same advantages that using a Wacom tablet has over using a mouse: you can jump from one location to another without having to stay "in contact" with the surface.

With a mouse you effectivelly need to slide all the way from A to B for the pointer on your screen to get to B. With a tablet stylus you lift your hand from A and land on B or thereabouts. Much more efficient.

With JKL in a Clip you need to play throughout the clip, accelerating through the bits you are not interested in, but you can't altogether skip them; with skimming you can.

And if you skim with a stylus you also get the added advantage that, unlike with a mouse, you don't have to drop your pointing tool to type on the keyboard, wether it is text or a command you enter.

Patrice

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:24:55 am

skimming is great, agreed. But why cant you skim in the viewer?? If you load a clip in the viewer, you still have to move the mouse to your project bin + find the clip to skim through it!!
Come on, thats bull....!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:36:38 pm

[Eric Sternberger] " If you load a clip in the viewer, you still have to move the mouse to your project bin + find the clip to skim through it!! "

Yes, it works differently than FCP7 or any other NLE with a scrub bar.

It would be nice if you could scrub the viewer itself.

Have your dreams come true: http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:59:11 am

When FCP X was released, it was one of the first things that I put off.

But I learned how to use it after a while, and you have to 'get' how to use it for your own use. I think everyone will have their own combination of skimming, JKL, clicking, ... but once you approach it as another tool, it really can be VERY fast to go trough footage, search for points, work with 2 reference points (your playhead and the skimmer). It's by design pretty clever (turned off when the playhead is running, for instance, coming in when you are paused, ...)
And in very rare cases where it works against you, it's just a shortcut away from being turned off.

To be honest, I couldn't live without it anymore.

In fact, we are using X for the first time on a big job now at work after I dabbled in it for about 10 projects, and adviced to switch (I'm the main editor of the company)
My collegue, which is pretty new to the thing, already said after a first day 'teaching' I gave him: "I opened FCP 7 last night again, and it immediately felt sooo old."

This is after years of working on 7. It's a great program. Sure, it still has to mature, I have my wish list and I know many others too. But it's a bit like the first iPhone: yes it was limited in a lot of ways, but it was also an utter joy to work with and the things it did, it did better then anyone else.
With FCP X it's often the same (not always). I keep looking out for every next update how fast the developers move.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 26, 2013 at 1:43:54 pm

Personally I wish there were two different skimmers. One for the thumbs and one for the timeline. The one on the thumbs i like and use. The one on the timeline I loathe and always turn off.

By having them both work from the same S key stroke I have to keep hitting S when i switch between the two areas during my edit which is a pain. So let me turn the thumbnails skimmer on 'S' and the timeline skimmer off 'CMD+S' and leave them both like that unless I want to turn the timeline skimmer om 'CMD+S', and then I can turn it off again when it invariably gets in my way 'CMD+S' whilst the thumbnail skimmer remains as is throughout.

In addition, make clicking on a new point in the thumbnail not stop the playing of the clip. it's annoying and one of the things CS6 dropped the ball on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]