FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Toast 11 the best choice?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyler Boudreau
Is Toast 11 the best choice?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:36:38 pm

I just purchased a new Mac with Mountain Lion, sold my FCP7 and moved to FCPX/Compressor 4.

Problem: life was good until I realized I have no way to burn a DVD with a custom menu. The FCPX share isn't going to cut it, and there is no iDVD with Mountain Lion Macs now.

I cannot dump a lot of money into a DVD authoring application. I just want to prep my encode in Compressor 4 and then have an app that will allow the creation of a menu, burning the disc with the Compressor encode file.

It seems that Toast 11 is the affordable route to take? I don't want to get a version of iDVD from the older iLife 11 disk because Apple has dropped it...I don't want products that are not being developed.

Thanks for any feedback!

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: Is Toast 11 the best choice?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:08:34 pm

DVD Studio Pro still is a great choice. And I think your comment about not wanting to use software that is not being developed is strange in the context that DVD itself is a format that isn't being developed anymore as well. I mean, all the limitations of DVD's are being hit with (for instance) DVD Studio Pro or Encore, so what do you think Toast 11 will give you extra?

But considering you sold FCS 3, it's no choice I guess?

Maybe a creative cloud subscription in combination with Adobe Encore? You only use it then when you need to?

Return to posts index

Kyler Boudreau
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:35:03 pm

I get what you're saying, but DVDs and blu-ray discs will continue to be used in the film industry for years. It's what dailies are viewed on, screeners are burned to, films are sold on, etc.

My experience with software is that once it isn't supported, you're just asking for it. And in video production, I don't have the time to take the risk of a new OS from Apple causing an out-of-date DSP or iDVD to not function under a dead line. Hence the need for supported apps.

Any thoughts on Toast 11? The Encore subscription is $30 a month. 3 months would pay for Toast.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 24, 2013 at 2:14:45 am

Toasts custom menus are just barely a step ahead of the share menu. So comparing cost is silly. Encore is a full fledged blu-ray, DVD and flash web DVD program. Only you can judge your needs.

Return to posts index

Kyler Boudreau
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:45:55 am

Thanks Bret - I don't have the cash for Encore unfortunately. =(

I appreciate the feedback. Can't believe there isn't a cheaper DVD authoring solution. Yikes.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 24, 2013 at 8:46:52 am

Hi Kyler,

I really sympathise with your dilemma. Seems Apple have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm still using DVD Studio Pro and, together with the very large number of editors and production houses that still use FCP7, would hope to continue using this software for many years to come.

So it's a shame you sold your copy of Final Cut Studio. However it is possible to get copies of it on eBay.

Although you don't want to use unsupported, by that I take it you mean that it is no longer being developed, software it is possible to get sealed copies of iLife11, including iDVD for about $20 on eBay.

Maybe you have a colleague that has an unused copy of DVDStudio Pro.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 24, 2013 at 2:48:47 pm

I would say DVD SP, as well. As far as your concern about the software, no one is putting any NEW development effort into DVD or Blu-ray authoring software at the desktop level. There is no new market there and the existing software meets the needs for a currently diminishing market. As long as OS changes don't break DVD SP, it will be as functional as anything else that is "supported".

If you need "one-offs" for dailies, Compressor is up to the task as is. If you need authored discs with custom menus, branching, etc. and want to stay on a Mac, you have two options: DVD SP and Encore.

BTW - you can get Encore for $50/mo. via a Creative Cloud subscription.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Kyler Boudreau
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:55:37 pm

By unsupported I just mean I don't want to install iLife 11 only to have Apple say next year that with the next OS version, iDVD from the old iLife isn't compatible and will cause instability, etc.

I came from IT before film, and basically, I have a clear understanding of Murphy's Law, and running software that isn't being developed any more just isn't the type of gamble I like to take.

If I was never going to upgrade my OS...well, maybe not that big of a deal. But Apple really pushes people to stay on current version of the operating system, or other things will not work like the latest FCPX updates....Compressor, who knows.

Return to posts index

Kyler Boudreau
on Jan 30, 2013 at 7:06:31 am

Update: for anyone who is thinking about purchasing Toast 11 - don't. It is a complete waste of money and time. A DVD burn from Toast 11 is horrible. I'm taking the software back.

Guess I'll go the Encore route. Thanks for everyone's comments!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]