FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and FCP 7 on same machine

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
FCP and FCP 7 on same machine
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:23:16 pm

I guess the time has come for starting to make the switch from FCP 7 to FCP X. I have a couple of questions, and would be grateful for any advice.

First, I have a quadcore intel Mac (2010) I'm considering buying a third internal drive to house FCP X Motion 5 and compressor. Is that the best idea?

Second, for FCP 7 I use an aja LHe card. That's connected to a monitor via SDI out of the Aja. I hear FCP X is not supported by the AJA LHe. Would I need to buy a new card? Would FCP 7 be supported by that as well?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: FCP and FCP 7 on same machine
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:35:15 pm

They can live on the same partition- here's how:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/431-how-to-install-fcpx-and-keep-...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2013 at 2:55:02 am

They can live on the same partition. It is true.

If you're anything like most every other shop in the world, I would leave one boot drive right where it is, never to be upgraded or changed.

We have a library of old FCP projects that need to be reinstated as soon as a client calls. That could be tomorrow, that could be 5 years from now.

5 years from now, FCS3 might not work on Snow Manchurian Tiger (or whatever earthly creature Apple chooses to name their OS), but Macs being Macs, you might be able to boot an older OS from an external hard drive.

In short, I'd get a new hard drive and start over for FCPX (along with any other new and modern piece of software you might choose to peruse). Leave your current drive there and don't install anything on it. Treat it like an archival relic, something to be kept in an as close to original as possible condition. A time capsule. Shit, Apple uses that term. OK, we'll go with relic. Treat it like the relic it has become.

If you don't care about your FCS3 archive and it has no meaning, then by all means, install whatever you want, wherever you want and hope for the best, protecting the past from the future be damned.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:31:46 am

Can't wait for Snow Manchurian Tiger to show up.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jan 24, 2013 at 6:52:56 am

the way things are going there may not be any tigers around in 5 years. Naming an OS after one would then be most un-cool. Apple will move to other species before that ;-)

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:15:59 pm

[Patrice Freymond] "Apple will move to other species before that ;-)"

Perhaps, in a game of switcheroo, they will name the OS after different celestial bodies and the default wallpaper will be that of big cats.

Although, 'PSR J1719-1438 b' doesn't really have the same fluency as 'Snow Manchurian Tiger', but maybe it'll catch on.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:24:52 pm

Thanks for the responses! Does anybody have an answer about the Aja LHe?

Forr FCP 7 I use an aja LHe card. That's connected to a monitor via SDI out of the Aja. I hear FCP X is not supported by the AJA LHe. Would I need to buy a new card? Would FCP 7 be supported by that as well?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:33:28 pm

[Greg Ball] "Forr FCP 7 I use an aja LHe card. That's connected to a monitor via SDI out of the Aja. I hear FCP X is not supported by the AJA LHe. Would I need to buy a new card? Would FCP 7 be supported by that as well?"

The LHe has been officially designated as legacy by AJA, and you are right it does not have FCPX support.

The Kona 3, 3G, LHi, or LHe Plus do have FCPX support as well as FCP7 support.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]