FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing Event !?!?!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
Missing Event !?!?!
on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:41:00 pm

Ok, this is kind of a biggie really.

So, I created an Event and bunged my clips and audio in there. I did my edit and exported it and everything is fine. I close FCPX. I open it today and the Event I created has gone. Nothing there. My sequence just has red clips on it.

In addition another sequence for my showreel keeps losing a clip which I have to reconnect every time I open FCPX. I chalked that up to an anomaly, but a whole Event going? That's serious.

I store all my footage on an internal harddrive in folders for each job. I then create an event and drop my folders onto it and it creates the keyword things based on the folders. I choose to keep my source material where it is.

1) WTF?

2) How do i get around this? With a clip that needs relinking I can just relink it, but this has lost my whole Event - or what was a project with all my bins and clips in it, so I have an edit with no way of linking back (it would seem) to my clips

3) Why is this happening? Is this something others have experienced. I make my living from making video. I can't be working with something that simply deletes things like this. I'm guessing this isn't standard practice, but this is seriously annoying and not making me the happiest chap to be forced off the good ship FCP7

cheers

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Missing Event !?!?!
on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:58:21 pm

Have you done a spotlight search using the event name to try and find if there's any reference to it anywhere?

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:03:49 pm

don't recall what i called it mate.

i just right clicked on the project in the project window and did relink and it managed to relink some of it but that is the files it linked to, the event is still vanished.

This is frigging insane. Have you ever experienced this? I know you've done a lot with FCP X but i'm sat here, having now transferred over to this thing, not sure if I can trust it to even have what I did still there each time i open it :)

Huge bugger!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:08:55 pm

what i don't get is why this has even happened? why have a system set up where my rushes simply vanish. I don't understand why it is so hard to set up a project, bung my rushes in it and for them to remain there. I mean every other editing software ever manages to achieve this.

Why am I sat here looking at my work going 'where the f*** is it?' and 'I have to do it again!?'

Hmmm. Seriously trying to believe FCPX isn't just for home movie people, but struggling at this precise minute, have to say.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:14:01 pm

ok, a thought.

I did a shoot on day 1. created my folder in my rushes drive, dropped my rushes in, created an event and did my edit.

2tb rushes > 000b_Rushes2 > Capture Scratch > newlon > newlon first shoot > *three sub folders in here

I did another shoot today and put the rushes in a folder called newlon second shoot inside the newlon folder, so thusly:

2tb rushes > 000b_Rushes2 > Capture Scratch > newlon > newlon second shoot > *three sub folders in here

Is that what could have buggered up the event location? That because I put something new in the folder FCP X threw a wobbly?

Unimpressed if so (hey, someone make this robust please) but at least would enable me to implement a workaround I suppose. It may also explain why the other clip keeps vanishing from my showreel Project/event as I put other clips in that folder too.

Hmmm. Still feeling a but Bugger!!!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:28:52 pm

I've never lost an event although it has happened to others with earlier versions of FCPX. I think this is an issue that is mostly fixed. Adding rushes wouldn't cause the problem, where is your Final Cut Events folder located?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:32:08 pm

same drive

2tb rushes > Final Cut Events

I do have this drive backed up by CCC (carbon clone copy) on a daily basis. But then again the other events I have created haven't done this.

I can live with shit happening, but this is kind of serious really. I'm pretty much going to have to redo the edit, which in this case is fine as it is tiny as i am still testing the waters, but how can i move forward not knowing if my work will be there in the morning.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:51:54 pm

Could you have created the missing event on a drive that has currently been removed from the system?

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:59:03 pm

Really don't think so.

I have tried to take a logical approach to this. All my projects and events and rushes are stored on the 2tb rushes drive, which is my 2nd internal drive on my mac. My first internal drive is partitioned for the OS and software, then other stuff on the others, and the 3rd and 4th internal drives back up the first two using CCC.

in my Event Library I deselected Group Events by Disk so all the other drives I have (which is many with partitions etc) are hidden and all that shows are the events which are on this 2tb rushes drive.

I am about to head out, but I have created another Newlon event, and associated sequences so I will see if it disappears tomorrow. Also I relinked the clip on my showreel project (again) so i will see if that delinks again.

Could it be because I am backing up the drive using CCC? Every time I load FCPX it stops and says there are 2 versions of everything and one won't load, because of the backup drive it obsesses over reading because it appears no one at Apple seemed to think X users could possible have more than one drive, and I have to click OK or continue or some such to boot up, but I have done little bits before and never lost an Event like this.

Thanks for the input so far, and curious if anyone else has experienced this or if I have to be even more anal about where to keep my rushes and event/project folders... feels terribly fragile at the moment, which isn't very appealing.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:09:14 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Could it be because I am backing up the drive using CCC? Every time I load FCPX it stops and says there are 2 versions of everything and one won't load, because of the backup drive it obsesses over reading because it appears no one at Apple seemed to think X users could possible have more than one drive, and I have to click OK or continue or some such to boot up, but I have done little bits before and never lost an Event like this.
"

This could be a factor, you should never have two events or projects with exactly the same name on your system and available to FCPX. It doesn't mind how many drives you have but it gets confused if you have two that are exactly the same.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:12:59 pm

yeah, see my other recent post, it looks like it is causing problems. So what do I do? Does this mean I simply cannot back up my entire work drive because FCP X is basically unstable due to us not being allowed to 'turn off' drives we don't want on there?

I've experienced my HDD dying and losing 5 jobs which were active that I had to rebuild. Do I have to go back to not having a daily back-up?

is this not a SERIOUS design flaw?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:14:34 pm

You should backup to a different folder on your backup drive. This way FCPX won't try and mount the identical Events.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:17:38 pm

Get "Event Manager X" http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/EventManagerX/ this will enable you to move the backup copies of your Events and Projects to a location where FCPX can't see them. It's also great for managing which projects you have visible in FCPX. It should be built into FCPX but it works very well and it's only $4.99

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:45:00 pm

I've never encountered this kind of issue fortunately.

I personally wouldn't do an external backup to another internal drive such that FCPX can see both when it is open. This seems to confuse FCPX. I do external backups to an external drive that is never mounted when I am working in FCPX. If I need to backup to an internal drive I use the FCPX duplicate command.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2013 at 2:41:01 am

[James Culbertson] "I personally wouldn't do an external backup to another internal drive such that FCPX can see both when it is open. This seems to confuse FCPX."

Exactly right.

FCPX has certain rules that need to be followed. Once you follow them, it's all good.

For instance, this is a direct lift from the manual: "Important: To avoid issues, it’s essential that you place the backup files in a folder (named “2012 Final Cut Pro Backups,” for example) that is not at the root level of your external storage device."

That's rule number 1.

So, Julian, if you're using CCC, make your destination a folder that's on the root of the backup drive. Apple gave the examples of "2012 Final CUt Pro Backups" but you can use whatever you want. Then in CCC, point the destination to that folder. This way, FCPX will not see the FInal Cut Events folder on the root of your backup, and therefore, there'll be no problems.

Also, using FCPX's media management capabilities (like the duplicate Event command) give the duplicated Event a new ID, and will be able to keep track of the separate Events.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:09:12 pm

Right, I think I understand you - I basically make a folder in my back up 2tb rushes drive called say backup, then do the backup INTO that folder so the structure will be

2tb rushes BU: backup > all folders including FCP Events.

Thus when scanning this BU drive it will only see the folder I named backup.

If this is correct then that makes sense and nice one, thank you :)

Will try it and see if it works out ok.

Thanks all for the input.

And just for clarity, I use CCC to back up the whole drive, rushes n all rather than doing specific FCP X backups. I figured that through CCC i'd have the projects backed up too.

And yes, I do realise that I need to figure out how to 'handle' FCP X so to speak, and losing this job is a pain but it was/is only small which is why I am diving in now, to see what needs handling :) So glad to have hit this snag now.

I still believe that FCP X should allow us to 'turn off' drives we don't want it to see within the app. I have Event Manager X but it is a clunky way of doing this. It just seems sensible and logical to turn off drives that have no relevance to the editor. Or maybe that's just me.

Anyway, thanks again for solving the mystery and offering tips.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:23:04 pm

[Julian Bowman] "I still believe that FCP X should allow us to 'turn off' drives we don't want it to see within the app. I have Event Manager X but it is a clunky way of doing this. It just seems sensible and logical to turn off drives that have no relevance to the editor. Or maybe that's just me."

It's not just you, it would be easier to have more control over this directly in FCPX

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:23:46 pm

fingers crossed then :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:35:47 pm

[Julian Bowman] "I still believe that FCP X should allow us to 'turn off' drives we don't want it to see within the app. I have Event Manager X but it is a clunky way of doing this. It just seems sensible and logical to turn off drives that have no relevance to the editor. Or maybe that's just me."

What's super ironic about this is that FCPX does have this capability if you are on a SAN. Why it doesn't have some sort of Manager built in for local volumes is odd. It would be harder to implement with local drives, but it is surely needed.

Event Manager X is well worth the 5 bucks and it only gets better.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 26, 2013 at 1:37:54 pm

Right,

I redid my CCC backup to copy to the 'backup' folder i created on my back up drive and now FCP X does indeed not read the backed up Events and projects, so that was a great tip cheers.

Still not totally sure how my initial Event ended up on my back up drive but not my regular drive and then vanished, but I believe this new set up will stop that ever happening again, AND once bitten and all that... just gonna bloody check everything during set up from now on :)

Thanks all for the help in resolving this mystery.

Return to posts index

Handy Galaherang
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:25:09 am

Here is from Larry Jordan's blog http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-manage-media/

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:53:34 pm

[Julian Bowman] "I can live with shit happening, but this is kind of serious really. I'm pretty much going to have to redo the edit, which in this case is fine as it is tiny as i am still testing the waters, but how can i move forward not knowing if my work will be there in the morning."

I understand the frustration but this isn't something that happens regularly, if it did there would be a lot more screaming on here. What you need to get to the bottom of is why it happened to you, there's a variable in there that caused the project to vanish. As long as you keep the Final Cut Events folder well away from harm, you shouldn't have any problems.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:00:21 pm

Yeah, figured as much, but have no real idea what I have done. My Events and Projects folders are both on the 2tb rushes drive too, at root level.

All seems very weird as in theory i have set everything up correctly, so not sure why it is acting up.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:01:10 pm

[Julian Bowman] "I do have this drive backed up by CCC (carbon clone copy) on a daily basis. "

First, you can find the Event name by clicking on one of the clips in the Project, open the Inspector, choose the gear icon, and Choose "Show File Status".

Second, in your Final Cut Events folder there should be a bunch of folders and those are the names of your Events. Any folders in there that aren't listed in your Events Browser?

Third, does your backup have a folder that your main drive doesn't?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jan 24, 2013 at 12:51:09 pm

I use Chronosync to sync my main work drive to a folder on a Drobo.. works fine and even if the drobo is online FCP X doesn't read the backup as its hidden below the root level.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]