FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a template similar to Picture in Picture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Croy
Creating a template similar to Picture in Picture
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:50:12 pm

We are going to be videotaping three days of a seminar where the Powerpoint will be captured and the presenter will be videotaped. When the videos are finished I want to have the Powerpoint take up most of a 1280 x 720 window and the presenter video to be a square box on the left. I do not want the conventional P in P as the Powerpoints will have lots of scientific data that needs to be shown. I wanted to do this project where I would do all of this on the fly using Wirecast as a video switcher. We decided not to do that because we are traveling out of the US to do this taping and don't want to carry as much equipment as would be needed. So when the video gets edited after the seminar I would like to use FCPX. Playing with drop zones and such would work but I haven't found a way to "mask" the video of the presenter so that I don't use the full frame. In Wirecast I am able to crop each side of the video individually so I am only getting part of the frame but I haven't found a way to do this in FCPX or Motion without changing the aspect ratio. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Creating a template similar to Picture in Picture
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:00:04 pm

It's simple and there are options to choose from.
Pick what you want to be the main shot and put it in the primary. (alternatively, you could put a "base graphic" in the primary if you don't want black to appear around your other pictures.)
Open the inspector and use the motion tab to size and position that primary shot.
Then attach the shot you want to use as the inset window as a secondary.
Size and position that the same way - probably much smaller to reveal your main shot as fully as you like.
Kill the audio on whichever track isn't best so you'll avoid any sound conflicts and that's about it.
If you want to get really fancy you can pin the corners of the video frames to make them look like they're angled, or use reflected shadows, but that's your call as to the aesthetics you prefer.
When uou have the look you want - remember you can duplicate that project In the project inspector - then drag new clips into your the new projects storylines to keep the layout but refresh the content.
But creating a "picture-in-picture look is both easy and flexible in X.
Good luck

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robert Croy
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:34:33 pm

I don't know why I didn't think of that myself, I was just trying to over think it I guess. Your way also solves the syncing problem. Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:22:57 pm

Robert,

I built a basic PIP Effect in Motion. If you would like to check it out let me know.

You apply it to the secondary - then set size and position using Transform. The aspect ratio is retained. You can also manipulate the scale and the X/Y position of the inset video. The Fade In/Out setting is useful as well.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Robert Croy
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:39:57 pm

Yes I would like to check it out. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:12:04 pm

Ping me at:

thx316 at mac dot com

I'll send it over ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:28:37 pm

You might also like to check out this free picture-in-picture effect for FCP X (available from FxFactory) which helps to speed up the process:

Download it for free here:

http://www.noiseindustries.com/fxfactory/free/

If you need something with even more power and flexibility, then you can move up to the full version of the effect:

Also available through FxFactory:

http://tokyo-uk.com/fcpxeffects/pipinator.html

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]