FORUMS: list search recent posts

List of transitions that DON'T include/transition the audio with the video?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
List of transitions that DON'T include/transition the audio with the video?
on Jan 21, 2013 at 7:29:16 pm

I constantly have to blade out little bits of class/lecture sections where the "talent" goes off on a tangent or just rambles. I get the audio exactly where I want it, and then the transition adds some of it back if there wasn't a long enough pause in the speaking. I wish the Inspector gave me an option in the "Audio Crossfade" to choose NONE, but it doesn't.

If I use a standard Cross Dissolve, it adds audio from the handles. The workaround is to remove the transition, drag out the 2 clip ends, switch to the Range tool, select the portion I don't want to hear and then pull down the audio level to 0. Then, drag the clip ends back to where they should be and add the transition.

I'm not that picky as to which basic transition I use: dissolve, wipe, page curl, etc., I just want to keep it simple and not have the transition be a distraction.

Anyone have a list of default Apple transitions that only transitions the video?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
Re: List of transitions that DON'T include/transition the audio with the video?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:41:45 am

I just somewhat answered my own question. I finished an edit and then tested a bunch of the default Apple transitions and also tried many of Simon's, Alex4D, and even some of the older BG ones. I couldn't find a single one that that would allow me to use only video. Aside from my workaround, it seems like there would a better quicker way to do this or a "video-only" transition out there somewhere. (If only the Inspector offered a "None" choice.)

I don't have Motion and likely won't have time to mess with it until at least summer, but does anyone know if it's possible to save out transitions without audio parameters? I know Alex came out with a "audio-only" transition over a year ago, so I would assume so.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Alex Gollner
on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:03:41 am

Dave,

Sadly the audio effects part of Final Cut Pro is disconnected from the video effects part. When making transitions (or any kind of plug-in) in Motion, there is no way of controlling the input clips' audio components.

When you apply a video effect, Final Cut sends the two video clips to an internal copy of Motion. A separate process applies a standard crossfade between the two clips. The audio effects in Final Cut are implemented in a similar kind of XML template for Logic effects, but Apple haven't released a Motion equivalent for audio effects.

In practice, if you expand the audio and video tracks of both clips (by double-clicking the audio waveform) before you apply the transition, the audio won't be cross-faded.

@Alex4D

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:26:38 pm

[Alex Gollner] "In practice, if you expand the audio and video tracks of both clips (by double-clicking the audio waveform) before you apply the transition, the audio won't be cross-faded."

Alex,

I always seem to forget about the double-clicking on the audio trick, but I also didn't realize it would work in the manner you described. I tested it last night and it works great! This will save me a ton of time.

On a related note, when I do the above, I'm not able to only select the audio portion. When I click on the audio track, both the video and audio get highlighted. The reason I care is because when I start a new class edit, I need to move the audio forward about 6 frames to sync it up with the video. I can't seem to do this after double-clicking the audio. Am I missing something or is this the way it's designed?

The workaround is that I can then right-click on the clip and choose "Open in Timeline" and from there I can move the audio track. Typically, I do that while the original clip is in the Event browser, but I'm just trying to see if I can combine a few actions and save some steps and time.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]