FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX export slow but cpu usage is slow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wally Yoshimura
FCPX export slow but cpu usage is slow
on Jan 19, 2013 at 10:32:02 am

Hello, newbie here!

Im having some export problems with my Mac Pro (2009) and I hope someone can help me out.

So I am exporting a 2 minutes slideshow that I created in FCPX and there is a lot of motion/keyframe so I understand that the export takes long but its taking more then an hour to export a 2 minute clip. (SD)
I checked the cpu usage and its only being used like 8% and I can only see one line.....(I think it means only 1 core is being used)

Now I know something was wrong so I checked how it performed on my Macbook Pro which has lower specs and its actually exported it a little bit faster......what?????
The cpu usage on my MBP on activity monitor shows 40% and I can see 4 lines of cores running!!!!

so how can I make my Mac Pro run as 8 core???? or faster.
is there something I need to do so the other cores kick in when render/exporting????

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX export slow but cpu usage is slow
on Jan 19, 2013 at 4:11:28 pm

Exporting is done with the GPU.

So if your MBP is newer, and even though it's "lower powered", it might have a faster more efficient GPU.

Return to posts index

Wally Yoshimura
on Jan 19, 2013 at 4:40:27 pm

Thank you so much for your help.
I guess Ill need to buy a new video card then.
such a shame that I spend so much on a mac pro and still it needs an $300 upgrade....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 19, 2013 at 11:31:34 pm

It's a fairly cheap upgrade for a 3 year old machine.

What's in there now?

Return to posts index

Wally Yoshimura
on Jan 20, 2013 at 2:04:12 pm

its the base model so it has the NVIDIA GT120 with 512mb of ram
is there something you would recommend ?

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jan 20, 2013 at 5:29:15 pm

I think it may be the interaction with Compressor and Motion. I have a very short graphic, less than 10 seconds long created in Motion and when I compress it it adds almost 30 minutes to the total compression time of my videos. This is on a 2011 27 inch iMac with 8 GB of memory and 3.1 GHz Core i5.

I am not sure why the Motion compresses so slowly while the rest of the video which is 1920 by 1080 H.264 goes very fast. I think I saw a comment at one time about Motion projects and Compressor.

Since I use the graphic in front of my short films I guess the answer to to Compress once and then use the compressed output rather than the Motion file.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:46:27 pm

[Wally Yoshimura] "is there something you would recommend ?"

Currently, Apple offers the ATI 5870.

It's not the newest or fastest GPU, but it will be better than what you have now.

The 5770 is less expensive.

Also, as Claude eludes to, are these Motion Templates you are rendering, or simply motion effects on stills?

Return to posts index

Wally Yoshimura
on Jan 22, 2013 at 1:39:34 am

Thanks for the suggestion.

I`ve been searching all over the internet to solve this problem and I think I might have found the answer.

According to my research, when exporting in FCPX in ProRes422 CPU is used so it`s not just about the GPU.
Now I found on the internet that Lion seems to have a bug that forces the OS to use 1 core in Safari so sometimes other programs will run on 1 core as well.
There is a program called Xcode to check how many CPU is used so I guess I`ll check that out before I buy a new Graphic Card.

Hopefully that is the answer.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:23:23 am

[Wally Yoshimura] "According to my research, when exporting in FCPX in ProRes422 CPU is used so it`s not just about the GPU."

The 10.0.6 release notes state that the GPU is used during background rendering, and exporting is a background process. You are right that its not all about the GPU, but it does play a big role.

[Wally Yoshimura] "Now I found on the internet that Lion seems to have a bug that forces the OS to use 1 core in Safari so sometimes other programs will run on 1 core as well."

I haven't heard of that one, but anything is possible I guess.

If you transcode a file in fcpx (make proxy or optimized media) does it only use one core?

Return to posts index

Wally Yoshimura
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:56:22 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "If you transcode a file in fcpx (make proxy or optimized media) does it only use one core?"
that`s what I`ve been trying to find out.
Now If I transcode to optimized media like you said, how do I know if its only using one core?

I`m downloading Xcode right now so hopefully I can figure it out with this program.
Will update this thread once I find out.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:06:27 am

[Wally Yoshimura] "Now If I transcode to optimized media like you said, how do I know if its only using one core?"

Open Activity Monitor and click the CPU tab, you can also hit command-2 with activity monitor open. Command-5 will add a floating window.

Return to posts index

Wally Yoshimura
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:34:18 am

Thanks for trying to help.
I actually just did what you said and here is the result

Is this normal???

btw, I am exporting when I took this screenshot.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:48:13 pm

Thanks for the screengrab.

Tell me more about your timeline.

Where is the lower third from? What happens if you turn that layer off and export?

What is inside the text compound clips?

Also, what's the "tracking" title? Just an FCPX effect or published Motion effect?

If you import an h264 MOV file with the "create optimized media" option checked, what happens to the CPU meter?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Wally Yoshimura
on Jan 23, 2013 at 2:48:08 am

Thanks again for trying to help Jeremy.

The timeline is full of motion transitions and keyframes.
Just turning off a lower third filter or a transition won`t make much a difference.

Now I`ve experienced a few things with the activity monitor turned on and I think I`ve found another problem with my project.

When I export a Video footage in FCPX 16 cores run at a decent speed so all cores are running fast and solid.
However, when I exported this project which is only pictures with lots of motion/keyframes only 8 cores are recognized and they run at a very slow speed rate for some reason. (pictures were down scaled for the project)

So after all 8 cores were running so I was wrong. They just run at a very low speed rate for some reason.
It may be something to do with the OS so I`ll try upgrading to Mountain Lion and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:54:04 am

I think Claude has the answer. There's something weird about the Motion templates.

I'd send a bug report to Apple.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]