FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX batch switch camera angles in multicam?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Coffey
FCPX batch switch camera angles in multicam?
on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:21:11 pm

Hi,

We shoot a regular 3 camera multicam shoot and edit in FCP7. I am trying to make the switch to X but found I cannot select an entire sequence and change it all to one camera.

The use purpose is to import the 3 iso angles, then preform our edit. After the edit is done, we export the edited multicam sequence as well as an iso of each camera WITH the edits made (yes this leads to jump cuts but is totally fine for our purposes).

In FCP7, I could select the entire timeline of multicam, right click and change active angle to any of the cameras. I could then export that single angle as an edited iso. When I try to do this with more than one clip selected in X, the option to change angles is grayed out...

Anyone know how I might export a iso of each edited camera?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: FCPX batch switch camera angles in multicam?
on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:40:58 pm

You can batch switch them in the inspector under info.

Return to posts index

Dan Coffey
on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:46:19 pm

Hi Brett,

You made me realize my problem - I had 2 separate takes that were 2 separate multi-cam clips. When I selected the entire sequence, it wouldn't let me change angles because it was mixed multi-cam clips!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:42:20 pm

Dan,

I'm probably dense but I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.

Particularly THIS paragraph has me confused...

"In FCP7, I could select the entire timeline of multicam, right click and change active angle to any of the cameras. I could then export that single angle as an edited iso."

What exactly were you exporting? The single camera stream intact? The single camera stream with black where the other cameras were switched to? A timeline with all the individual shots but all the interstitial cutaways removed?

Sorry, but I didn't do much Legacy multi-cam.

But if you can explain what you want as a result more clearly, perhaps I can help you get it out of X.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dan Coffey
on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:49:52 pm

Hi Bill,

What I meant was that I could change the active angle for the entire multi-cam sequence and make them all the same angle then export. This way the export would be the chopped up version of the footage but still just one camera.

My question that would still remain, is: Is it possible to search (with apple F) and select out of a multi-cam edit, clips that are something like "cama_closeup" if that is what I titled the clip before putting it in multi-clip? All I see in when I try to search is a list of clips, all with the multiclip name and not the individual camera names. Hopefully I am being fairly clear?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 18, 2013 at 1:19:07 am

I'm still not totally understanding, since I've never been in a circumstance where I've wanted to product a "cut up" stream from a single camera (if that's actually what you're asking for) but your workflow is yours and just because it's not something I do - certainly doesn't mean it's not totally important to you.

I suspect that you might want to explore the ROLES function in X. Using a custom role you can highlight a group of clips in any timeline (including a particular camera angle) that share a custom Roles tag.

Also explore the "lift from storyline" command which takes a clip and moves it from the primary above the storyline. If you Lift a clip from a particular camera angle - it's trivial to drag that clips handles out left and right to reveal that cameras entire track - which in turn would allow you to work with just that cameras footage for isolating shots you want using the playhead snapping feature.

There might be other smarter and simpler ways to search the stuff that you want out, but again, my brain is having problems understanding exactly what you're trying to do. My problem totally, not yours.

The last thing I'll mention is that as I've posted here over and over, one big issue for folks coming to X from other editing programs is getting past the natural tendency to try to solve problems in X using the same techniques you've used in other NLEs.

X works very differently. I highly recommend taking the time to get comfortable with how most of it's capabilities actually operate before you try to "lock down" a workflow based on your former workflow. It's all too easy to go searching for controls and processes that are "just like" the way you did operations in your old software. Only to discover later that the way X works makes doing it the old way either uncomfortable, inefficient or in some cases, impossible.

I know that's difficult to hear - and we all want to simply get "up to speed" as soon as possible. But X is pretty unique in encouraging you to think differently about common editing tasks. So patience can be very much rewarded.

I wish I had better advice, but maybe someone else here has a workflow closer to yours and can be more help.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dan Coffey
on Jan 18, 2013 at 2:04:00 am

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed and considerate response!

To help you understand the workflow, we have 2 products:
- 1 product is a produced, clean multi-cam edit that is polished (2 or 3 cameras and a computer capture of a presentation)
- the second product is for a special player that has the ability to play both angles back and let the viewer decide which to watch. We don't want simply use the raw video for the second products as there are often edits to make and content to chop out.

I'll look into roles, this seems more along the lines of what I am looking for!

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]