Paste connected clip on top?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Walsh
Paste connected clip on top?
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:40:17 pm

Hi There,

two questions:

1. I'm wondering if anyone has a technique for controlling where a pasted connected clip ends up. Sometimes pasted clips get placed close to the storyline, but often I want them on top of other connected clips. Is there any way to control this, or workarounds you might have found?

2. Also, sometimes I've come across this dilemma - If I've made connected clips into a storyline - is there any easy way to revert them back to connected clips (non-storyline)?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Paste connected clip on top?
on Jan 17, 2013 at 7:50:18 pm

[Dan Walsh] "1. I'm wondering if anyone has a technique for controlling where a pasted connected clip ends up. Sometimes pasted clips get placed close to the storyline, but often I want them on top of other connected clips. Is there any way to control this, or workarounds you might have found?"

If original clip is in the primary and you want it connected, hit command-shift-up to move to connected or copy/cut and hit option-v to paste as connected clip.

or

Match frame back to the Event Browser, and then from there either add in primary with shortcuts, or hit q to place as connected clip.

Unfortunately, there's no real way to determine the stacking order before hand, you'll have to do some manual layer order surgery.

[Dan Walsh] "2. Also, sometimes I've come across this dilemma - If I've made connected clips into a storyline - is there any easy way to revert them back to connected clips (non-storyline)?"

Select the "shelf" (the big bar on top of the clips in the secondary storyline) and Command-shift-g to break clip apart. Be sure to select the shelf otherwise you might detach the audio.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 18, 2013 at 11:11:46 pm

[Dan Walsh] "1. I'm wondering if anyone has a technique for controlling where a pasted connected clip ends up. Sometimes pasted clips get placed close to the storyline, but often I want them on top of other connected clips. Is there any way to control this, or workarounds you might have found?"

X used to paste connected clips above other connected clips, starting with 10.0.6, it now puts them underneath, which is sort of annoying. Use the Send feedback to Apple button and ask them to change it back. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2013 at 11:20:34 pm

I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

If the clip is connected already, then yes, it does paste above the primary, but if you copy out of the primary and paste as connected, then it puts it on top.

Sorry I misread.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]