FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shaky Footage in Canvas

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean ONeil
Shaky Footage in Canvas
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:11:39 am

Just trying out X and doing some very basic tasks. I imported some ProRes HQ footage I keep archived for my reel. 23.98, 720x486 anamorphic (telecine was removed using Cinema Tools). The footage bounces up and down a frame or two in the Canvas, and when I export it to anything including ProRes looks awful like it lost half the vertical res. Even though the footage is progressive, I shifted the video down a pixel because this problem seems similar to when older software got the field dominance wrong. Didn't help.

In FCP7 (which plays the footage fine except for gamma shifts I can't quite figure out) I can set the anamorphic flag and I can change a clip's field dominance to "None" if I ran into a problem like this.

Is this a known thing?

Sean

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Shaky Footage in Canvas
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:18:32 am

[Sean ONeil] "In FCP7 (which plays the footage fine except for gamma shifts I can't quite figure out) I can set the anamorphic flag and I can change a clip's field dominance to "None" if I ran into a problem like this.

Is this a known thing?"

Don't have an answer for that, but I do know that you can set the flags and field dominance in X. Select the clip, and check the Video tab Settings View in the inspector. I think it's in there...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:09:36 am

Thanks but I don't see anything other than Color and Spatial Conform.

Sean

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:22:08 am

I've been messing around with it. I even used QT Edit and made sure everything was flagged properly. Pretty sure this is a bug. It doesn't happen in FCP7, Premiere, or Avid. The geniuses probably didn't think 720x486@23.98 is a thing. FCPX seems to be assuming it's interlaced when it isn't and there's nothing I can do to change its mind.

Sean

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:06:24 am

You should be able to go to the info pane, choose a view that shows the filed dominance metadata and set it to whatever you want.. Sorry, not in fron of the computer so I can't remember which metadata view it is. You might also try telling FCPX to deinterlace the footage.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:32:23 pm

Thank you for that! I did not know that was there. Previous things I read said FCP couldn't add an anamorphic flag or anything like that.

Sean

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:21:26 pm

[Sean ONeil] "The geniuses probably didn't think 720x486@23.98 is a thing. FCPX seems to be assuming it's interlaced when it isn't and there's nothing I can do to change its mind."

Type "Conform frame sizes and frame rates" into the FCP X Help Menu search field. Go to the help topic that appears. The geniuses put instructions there for you. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:48:40 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Type "Conform frame sizes and frame rates" into the FCP X Help Menu search field. Go to the help topic that appears. The geniuses put instructions there for you. :-)"

Thanks! That help article does indeed describe how to get to the Info>Settings View (never seen user settings inside an info pane before - weird) where what I was looking for does reside. But to be fair to me, the article does not say anything about setting interlace/progressive flags (just that you can apply a deinterlace filter to it) so I may not have thought to look there even if I had read it.

Sean

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:25:53 pm

If you want to override the wrong interpretation of the field dominance you need to select the clip in the Browser. Then you open the inspector, if it isn't already. Now click on the "info" tab on top of the inspector window. Bottom left of the same window, open the pop up menu and then check "settings view". Now you should be able to choose "upper first" in the "field dominance override" options.
Regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jan 17, 2013 at 9:25:04 pm

Thanks as well. Am I wrong in thinking this option didn't exist in 10.0.0?

Sean

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:43:04 pm

Alright I figured it out. There is a bug but it's very minor.

Basically if you have 486p@24 anamorphic footage, and you have Best Performance set for playback, FCPX thinks it's interlaced as it scales it and the image bounces up and down in the Viewer, even if the clip is set as progressive in the Inspector. I thought it was exporting like this to Vimeo but I don't have Vimeo plus so I can't try and replicate it easily.

By running the source clip through Compressor and cropping off 6 lines, the new 480p version I made does not have this problem at all. FCPX's Best Performance plays it like it does everything else.

Turning on Best Quality for 486p it seems fine.

Sean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]