FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange crash lost 35 minutes work

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekbergh
Strange crash lost 35 minutes work
on Jan 17, 2013 at 12:48:06 am

I was working on a lower third graphic in the timeline, changing text color and I had just imported 2 large 5000 + px wide .jpgs.

All of a sudden FCPX quit. This usually is not a big deal, just restart and nothing is lost.

This time all the work done in the last 35 minutes was gone. The backup file was 35 min old.

Has anyone else had this kind of crash?

It was quick to rebuild. but it bothers me, I lost a little confidence and now I duplicate the project every 30 minutes or so.

I was on a iMac 2012 Maxed out with RAM and latest everything in software, 10.0.7 FCPX. 6GB Lacie RAID and BM Ultra studio express. This system has been very solid in the past. Almost no crashes and never lost work.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Strange crash lost 35 minutes work
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:27:11 am

[olof ekbergh] "Has anyone else had this kind of crash?

It was quick to rebuild. but it bothers me, I lost a little confidence and now I duplicate the project every 30 minutes or so."

Yep... It used to be fairly common, but was "fixed" a couple updates ago... Restarting FCP cures it, 'til it happens again. ;-) And to be fair, it happens very, very rarely these days, if at all. That said, I've seen it reappear. Essentially, you'll know you've got a problem if the Undo command stops working. That tell's you FCP isn't keeping track of what you're doing. This is bad. I'm not totally sure it's an FCP problem actually, I think it might be an OS (core data) thing. In any case, I hit Undo every now and again even if I don't need to, or check the menu to make sure it's not greyed out just to be safe. Honestly, though, it's very unusual these days...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:01:25 am

Is there any reason why we simply cannot have a save as?

I just don't get why not. Much like I don't get why Apple removed the off button on their 24" monitors. Does it hurt their 'god we're cool' egos to give us Save As?

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:58:11 am

[Julian Bowman] "Is there any reason why we simply cannot have a save as?
"

Saving the project as a duplicate and renaming (indexing it) does a save as, that is what I do, always have. But now I will more often.

It would be nice to have an auto save duplicate project script, that worked every 10 min or so and kept 10 backups. Maybe I will see if I can script that, has anyone tried?

Thanks for your responses, I am going to check my RAIDs and HDs with DW today.

Thanks for the undo tip I will start checking that. Does save duplicate project work once the undo stops working?

I was just surprised this happened all of a sudden, the first time I actually lost data in FCPX. I have had few crashes lately, then this all of a sudden.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:24:05 pm

[olof ekbergh] "Thanks for the undo tip I will start checking that. Does save duplicate project work once the undo stops working?

I was just surprised this happened all of a sudden, the first time I actually lost data in FCPX. I have had few crashes lately, then this all of a sudden.
"

I think so, yes. Since it's creating a new folder in the finder, not anything database dependent. It is weird, but hopefully you won't see it again for a long long time. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:34:18 pm

If you are working with compound clips at all then "save as" might end up leading people to false security. The parent-child relationship means that a duplicated timeline (or a saved-as timeline) may "inherit" edits you've made in the original.

Anyway -- that is my guess as to why apple is trying to avoid saving.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]