FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blade tool on single audio channel

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
Blade tool on single audio channel
on Jan 15, 2013 at 4:52:59 pm

Hello.
I recorded an interview. The two talents were speaking each on his own lapel mic, one going the left channel, the other one to the right of the main camcorder. One of the twos was more exposed to wind so I want to cut out his parts when the other talent is speaking to reduce noise. I know I can use control points and make very quick fades, but I'd rather be able to just cut the channel with the blade tool and operate on the volume bar, and by the way I am curious to know how to do it. I went through the Ripple Training but I don't seem to have seen this point explained. Now, I can see the two tracks as separated if I first go to the Inspector and turn the "stereo" into "dual mono" into the "channel configuration". Then "Clip"=>"Expand Audio Component". I now see the two independent channels and I can add control points and make separate volume fades and adjustments. Now if I choose the blade tool, I can still cut the whole clip operating on the video, but not on the audio, neither single nor both tracks. If I break audio and video apart, I can't find a way to change to "dual mono" or otherwise work on the separate channels. Has anybody already tried to do the same?
Regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: Blade tool on single audio channel
on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:43:55 pm

I haven't tested if what you are trying works or not, but I would suppose if your testing methods were valid, maybe it isn't possible (always send Feedback to Apple if you think a feature is needed).

Just as a work-around, maybe you don't want to do this either, but I'll throw it in there: choose a range you want to cut out. Just press V.
It's very fast, and you can do it just on a part of an Audio Component.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 15, 2013 at 6:00:05 pm

Thank you Mathieu.
The range level volume setting is the workaround I'll use. I can't see any real downside, as the control points are close to each other, even if I feel more accurate with the way I used before. Cutting one channel only is not really something I can't live without, but I am curious to know if there was a way to accomplish that anyway.
Kind regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 15, 2013 at 6:37:07 pm

I noticed wearing my headphones that if I change the channel configuration from "stereo" to "dual mono" I lose the left/right separation, and both the tracks play on both channels. I don't like it, I'd rather hear if a problem is on the left or right channel without soloing the channels. If I detach the audio from the clip and then break apart the clips items only the a1 track will show. I don't see a way to just operate on each stereo track individually. I am sure I am missing something,

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:47:22 pm

This behaviour is the same as FCP7 though, I would suppose.
when something is dual mono FCP X (and I think 7 as well) interprets it as both coming from the Center Speaker, which is 'normal' - but I'm not an audio guy so I could be wrong.

And I think it's possible to do this, I just tried:
- Put the clip in the timeline.
- Change in the inspector the Channel Configuration to Dual Mono
- in the Timeline choose Expand Audio Components.
- Only choose track A for instance. In the Inspector, Choose Pan Mode STEREO LEFT/RIGHT and choose LEFT for track A for instance.
- Choose Right for Track B.

Now you have a Dual Mono clip that has a LEFT/RIGHT seperation. If you toggle V for one of them, one channel drops.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:12:16 pm

Thank you Mathieu. I followed your advice and it works. I had done something wrong in the first test and panning left-right the two mono channels had given me no results, it's fine now. In FCP7 I used to unlink audio and video, break the stereo pair, and then work on each single stereo track without further steps, and each would naturally retain its pan position. All in all, this is not much different.

Kind regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:22:57 am

I just found that after you work on the double mono tracks, adjusting levels, cutting out background noise, equalizing, etc, if you modify the channel settings back to stereo, you lose everything. So is not like checking or unchecking "stereo pair" on FCP7.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jan 17, 2013 at 9:10:55 pm

Would that be by design or a bug? Seems terrible. Maybe post feedback to Apple to be sure, as a bug report, maybe? Just to make sure...

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:50:03 pm

Maybe it wasn't set by design, meaning it was not designed that way on a purpose. More likely, it's just something that was not noticed. I am really loving the software that seems perfect for my needs. The skimming, the media organization that I hated at the beginning together with the magnetic timeline, the ability to deal with original formats and lots more are making my projects much faster to finish. However, going deeper in actual real life use, I am finding there's still something that would need some fixing or adjustment. Maybe I still haven't got acquainted enough with the audio section (today I bought the Ripple Training about audio), but my impression is that it's not at the same level with the video.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:25:27 am

You're definately right.

We also just started using FCP X at work, and it's a bit searching. I will only know in a couple of weeks in how far it's a succes, but after working with FCP X for a while, you just start missing so much new functionality that isn't in FCP 7.
I hope Apple listens to my wish list too, so let's see what the future brings.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 5, 2013 at 2:35:38 pm

Just came across this question months later, so hopefully you're got notification turned on. ;)

Use "open in timeline" command on the clips in question (already edited into storyline). You can range-adjust levels to your heart's content. I've found that using blade tool doesn't work. (Unfortunately, as I'd rather do it that way.)

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-FCP-Premiere-3D-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jul 5, 2013 at 4:29:24 pm

Thank you Bob. I had the notifications turned on :-) However, if I use the "open in the timeline" command, I only get to see one channel, not the dual mono, and I have no way to change it. Expanding the audio components allows me to see the two individual mono tracks and use the range select/adjust level routine.
Fabrizio

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]