FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why most blur dissolves stink and this one doesn't

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
Why most blur dissolves stink and this one doesn't
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:28:28 pm

To me the best implementation of the Blur Dissolve is to blur the outgoing shot while leaving the incoming shot unaffected. This has the effect of focusing the viewer on the incoming shot and leaving the outgoing shot behind. Isn't that why we use effects? It's a lot more subtle and also avoids that blurry nothing in the middle when you blur both sides. Additionally, the dissolve should be logarithmic and start slightly after the blur begins.

In FCP 7, I programmed my own which I used almost as much as a standard dissolve. In FCP X, not to my surprise, the blur dissolve also lacked the capability of controlling how much blur each side should have individually. So I made my own in Motion. It's unsophisticated at this point with no parameters, but it does what I want.

Here's a link to download it, if you find it useful:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19546472/Blur%20Dissolve.zip

Return to posts index

tony west
Re: Why most blur dissolves stink and this one doesn't
on Jan 19, 2013 at 3:18:15 pm

I like it Brett, thanks for putting it up.

Return to posts index

Joel Nisson
on Jan 21, 2013 at 9:19:10 pm

Great effect Brett. Would that I could export it as a FCPX transition (beyond my expertise).

Joel Nisson

Return to posts index

Gonzalo Ovejero
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:35:29 pm

I agree with you, most blur dissolves really stink, but that one is great. And it was weird that I was looking for it and couldn't find it. Don't people like it?. Finally I found yours and I was so happy, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. Whenever I apply it gives me a red screen with an exclamation. Do you know why it happens?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]