FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correcting Indoor Footage Shot With ND Filter

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Slickman
Correcting Indoor Footage Shot With ND Filter
on Jan 14, 2013 at 5:02:06 pm

I have some indoor HDV footage shot mistakenly with an ND filter. Does anyone have any color correction tips on how to improve the quality. It is dark and flat. There is a second angle properly lit but the framing on the footage shot with the ND filter is far superior. I have FCP-X or Color as my tools. Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
Re: Correcting Indoor Footage Shot With ND Filter
on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:02:54 pm

[Gary Slickman] "I have some indoor HDV footage shot mistakenly with an ND filter. Does anyone have any color correction tips on how to improve the quality. It is dark and flat. There is a second angle properly lit but the framing on the footage shot with the ND filter is far superior. I have FCP-X or Color as my tools. Thanks for any suggestions."

Gary,

Whilst it will depend on how dark and how flat the footage is you should be able to improve it within FCPX without any difficulty.

You might need to boost the exposure using the Color Adjustment Exposure window in the inspector. Just see how it affects your clip using the global setting and refine it using shadows, midtones and highlights.

An alternative method would be to copy your clip, place the copy above the existing clip and then go to the compositing section in the inspector and alter the blend mode from normal to Add or Lighten or Screen. Again you can attenuate the change through the opacity slider.

Good luck

Return to posts index

Justin Mrkva
on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:29:15 pm

Also, remember to try the Match Color option in FCPX, correcting the ND footage to match a similar shot from the footage with better color. It'll still almost certainly require tweaking but it can get you pretty close very quickly.

Return to posts index

Gary Slickman
on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:41:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Mark & Justin. I'll give them both a try

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 15, 2013 at 4:44:09 am

And just for the youngsters learning from this forum....

We ALL make mistakes time to time and get sub-standard results. It's part of the game.

To minimize them, you have to invest in the proper equipment and relentlessly train yourself to use it consistently and properly.

If you don't take reliable headphones on your shoots - you're at HUGE risk of sub-standard audio.

And if you don't take a reliable video monitor, you're equally at HUGE risk of sub-standard video.

The only insurance you have is to own these tools and train yourself RELENTLESSLY to never roll video or audio until you KNOW that you've got a proper signal going to the recording media.

It's difficult and we ALL find ourselves short of time - distracted by on-set issues - and otherwise having to punch "record" without being perfectly sure we've got everything right. The LESS you manage to do that - the better your career will work out.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]