FORUMS: list search recent posts

did importing went from good to bad?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Osmani Tellez
did importing went from good to bad?
on Jan 12, 2013 at 9:56:15 pm

I must be stupid because i can't The following clip encountered an error during import and is still referencing media on the camera how easy it was importing files before 10.7 update and how anoying it is now.

Before:

I copy file from my cards (canon, 5D, t3i ext) to a dedicated folder in my desktop. clicke on import files without moving and voila.

Now:

I copy file from my cards (canon, 5D, t3i ext) to a dedicated folder in my desktop. click on import..and...without moving is greyed out. So, i must import something that its on my computer already again to FCPX...ok..i guess its for some reason i must be too stupid to understand. Well, its not only a slow import process..witch i can't turn off computer before done..even thou i'm not transcoding or anything....but i also get this error all the time "The following clip encountered an error during import and is still referencing media on the camera"....even thou just one or two times its a ral error where i have to re-import but all other times the error seems not real cause my files are fine....but..it means i have to be near the computer to click OK so that it continues importing.

how about that?
is it me or what?
trashed preferences allready so..????

arrrrrr.

FCPX 10.7, Motion 5. Canon 5D mark II, T2i, T3i.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: did importing went from good to bad?
on Jan 12, 2013 at 11:26:24 pm

I think it's you... I have no issues copying files to a hard drive and then importing to an event without copying, which is to say the check box is active and I can un-tick it when importing files from my t2i, 7D, FS100, GoPro, ATOMOS Ninja, captured HDV tapes, etc.

The error you are getting means that there was an error importing the files and FCPX will keep referencing the originals until you restart the import.. the error could be anything that prevents the copy - from insufficient drive space, to the computer going to sleep, to a faulty cable causing intermittent dropout of the connection.

You've already trashed your preferences and I can't really think of anything else that might fix it. That would have been my go-to option. have you tried trashing FCPX and reinstalling the app?

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Osmani Tellez
on Jan 12, 2013 at 11:55:29 pm

well..I'm glad its me. will work on fixing this..i guess i have to try a few things to troubleshoot the problem. But this is what i mean...i have to spend extra time on something that was fine before last update. arrrr..time i don't have a lot.

Do you mind me asking... do you have the files of your canon camera in the folder strutchure that comes in the card or you just copy the clips separate? I drop the entire content from the card straight to a hard drive..and they even have magic lantern folders in it,,,wonder if that's the problem.

yes, i thought about reinstalling the app...but again..time.

thanks for your help.

FCPX 10.7, Motion 5. Canon 5D mark II, T2i, T3i.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 13, 2013 at 12:32:07 am

It depends on what I'm doing but I usually create a folder with project name, then a media folder inside that, and I either copy the entire contents or I just drag the clips over - depends on the source. It shouldn't matter either way.

Most of my Canon clips are rewrapped (but still h264) using Magic Bullet Grinder so that I have properly embedded timecode.

One last thought, have you tried just dragging and dropping the clips straight from the Finder into the event? That doesn't open an import window and just uses the import settings as set up in your preferences. Could be worth a try...

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Jan 14, 2013 at 2:58:23 am

Hi Osmani.
I've been using FCPX with Canon DSLRs since Day One and the method I use has never given me a single problem. What I do is simply copy the .mov files to a folder on my desktop - or external drive - and then, if there's jpegs in the same card folder, I copy those to a separate desktop folder.
In X I select import media, click on the .mov folder in the window that pops up, hit import and edit away. I think the secret is to just import the .mov files that you need and leave the rest of the stuff - jpegs, Magic Lantern, things like that - out of the system.
Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]