FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and Effects - update when the Motion effect project is modified

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Mrkva
FCPX and Effects - update when the Motion effect project is modified
on Jan 11, 2013 at 7:11:42 pm

I have several effects built in Motion that are rigged and then keyframed in FCPX. When I open them in Motion (not opening a copy, as happens with built-in effects, but actually opening the original) the effect doesn't update in my existing FCPX project. Instead, it uses the original Motion effect; to replace them I'd have to re-add the effect, re-keyframe, then delete the old one.

Is there any way to force FCPX to replace all instances of the old effect with the new one without going through everything manually, and while maintaining all keyframes on the rig?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX and Effects - update when the Motion effect project is modified
on Jan 12, 2013 at 2:06:24 pm

[Justin Mrkva] "Is there any way to force FCPX to replace all instances of the old effect with the new one without going through everything manually, and while maintaining all keyframes on the rig?"

AFAIK there isn't. The Motion-based effects are simply templates tied back to Motion. If you have instances of an effect already in your Project, those are just settings. There's no reason for those to change based on modifying the base template in a new fashion. When you are modifying these effects, you are not inherently changing the filter itself into a new filter. At least that's how I understand it.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Justin Mrkva
on Jan 12, 2013 at 2:50:09 pm

Well, if Final Cut creates a copy of the effect when you use it, how come in the past when I renamed an effect in the Motion Templates folder, in Final Cut, the effect showed up as missing?

That said, that gave me exactly the idea to solve it! :)
In essence, here's what's happening:

1. Final Cut makes a copy of the effect, some sort of cache maybe? (clearly it's doing something, because it's rendering the old version)
2. Final Cut tries to read the effect from the Motion Templates folder anyway.
3. If the file is there, it doesn't bother updating from the file (So, um, why was it trying to read it? lol). If the file isn't there, rather than fall back on the cache, it fails. (So, why is the cache even there?).

This behavior is the key. It FAILS if the file isn't there. Therefore, here's the sequence to force an update:

1. Rename the template (add a "-renamed" or something to the end of the folder containing it
2. Launch FCPX and load the project. You'll see missing effects panels.
3. Quit FCPX, rename the folder back to the original name
4. Launch FCPX and load the project again. Presto, effect updated!

I'd like to see this become easier, as immediately previewing the "effect" (pun intended) of changes like this could be extremely useful at times. Still, good to know it's at least possible to get it to happen, even if it is a bit "workaroundish."

Thanks for the help! :)

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jan 12, 2013 at 6:27:22 pm

You have to quit and relaunch FCPX to make your updated templates to be used in your projects.
But be careful this will affect all projects which used that template.

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]