FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backup a project - question and developer-suggestion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Petter Stahre
Backup a project - question and developer-suggestion
on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:52:55 am

I've struggled with the best way to backup a project-file. Formerly I've been duplicating the project from within FCPX, without the renderfiles etc, but this takes some time and I end up with copies of the project I have to put in folders. It clutters up easily.

What if I simply make an archive (zip-file) of the project-file from time to time? Then it would eventually look like this in the Finder:

The different archives represents my project at the time of the archiving. (They have the same date in my example since this is a test.)

Question: Does anyone see a technical problem with this? I suppose the project file is all that is really needed to back up? Or??
("Render files" gets rendered again, "Backups" is not needed)

The archives should not affect FCPX since they will simply be ignored/not recognized.

If there is no problem with this idea, then does someone with Automator-knowledge know if it's possible to create this kind of Automator-workflow:

- Search for all files (all drives) named "CurrentVersion.fcpproject" with file type FCP Project.
- Exclude all files that has not been updated today (means that the backup will only affect active projects, not all of your projects)
– Make an archive of it (copy) and add date&time to the filename

I the end this could mean all you have to do is double-click an Automator-icon to make perfect backups within seconds.

Could it also be possible to schedule this, so that it happens in the background? And have the possibility of auto-erase archives that are more than XX days old (based on filename (*CurrentVersion* and filetype (ZIP))?

I know that custom-developing an application that does this is an easy job for a programmer (it's mainly file handling), but in the end I still hope Apple releases a proper versioning-workflow in the next major update.

But meanwhile ... ? Am I missing something?

Suggestions are very welcome.

Best,
Petter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Backup a project - question and developer-suggestion
on Jan 10, 2013 at 1:16:37 pm

You need this: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/proversioner/

Return to posts index

Petter Stahre
Re: Backup a project - question and developer-suggestion
on Jan 10, 2013 at 2:38:58 pm

Thank's I've been reading about it but not tried it.

Now I've tried it, and it seems good. The watch folder-function is a deal breaker (not having to manually add what projects to keep track of).

It also answers my question if backing up the project file itself is enough – it is.

Still, I'm interested in going the Automator-way for different reasons, so if someone knows if it would be possible the way I described I would appreciate thoughts/hints.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]