FORUMS: list search recent posts

To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)
on Oct 28, 2012 at 5:00:37 am

Here's some general stats and test findings comparing eSata with FW800 on my OWC Elite-AL Pro (two 7200rpm Drives, 1TB each) RAID 1 enclosure using the QuickBench "Large file Test" from SpeedTools:

eSATA: Write- 98 MB/s, Read- 121 MB/s.
FW800: Write- 69 MB/s, Read- 78 MB/s.

[With the "Allow Cache Effects" checked]
eSATA: Write- 97 MB/s, Read- 145 MB/s.
FW800: Write- 69 MB/s, Read- 76 MB/s

* Clearly the eSata is faster.
--

My camera: Canon HFS100. The AVCHD file Bitrate is 24Mbps: KB= kilo byte, and kb= kilo bit. 8 kb= 1KB. 24 Mbps= 3 MBps.

So then, with regular ProRes 422 (147 Mb/s divided by 8= 18.4 MB/s), I should be able to read 7 simultaneous streams with the eSata connection. This in theory should be plenty for my AVCHD/Pro Res 422 video. I should even be able to get 3-4 streams with FW800.
--

FCP X has hosed my external drive's directory structure (which is only used for video) a couple of times now. I avoided it for years, but broke down and bought "Disk Warrior" which brought the enclosure back to life. (Sorry I waited so long, but I learned my lesson and run Disk Warrior on this capture drive after every few sessions now. By the way, OWC tech support is usually pretty good, but their recommendation was to replace the enclosure as it appeared to have stopped working.)
--

So...

I've notice most pro users here never mention using an eSata connection, just FW800 or now ThunderBolt. According to the Disk Warrior engineers, eSata is NOT hot-swappable as promoted by Apple and MacSales. They put it in the category of SCSI meaning you should re-boot before with the eSata drive plugged in and then re-boot when finished with the drive. This makes sense to me. Did I mention when I was using the enclosure connected by eSata previously (before Disk Warrior), I would get hard kernel panic crashes. Now that I reboot after using eSata, it's all been fine.

Question:

Why do I appear to be the only one using eSata for my RAID 1 enclosure? Based on the pain in the booty it's been, should I just go back to FW800 since the extent of my media is AVCHD and Pro Res 422.

Now that I know I need to reboot after using eSata, it's not a big deal using it, just part of the routine. But, could you help me with the math? The eSata is faster, but am I gaining enough from the speed increase to even bother with it.

One more monkey wrench: Aside from the renders (which I try not to do and just have the files render on final export), I use ClipWrap on the AVCHD files, so really the file size is even smaller then if I was optimizing all the files on import to PR422.

By the way, most of what I do is instructional video for the web and I take the 1080p footage and put it in a 720p Project so I can keyframe pan and zooms... nothing too heavy duty going on and usually no more then 3 or 4 layers at best including titles, lower 3rds, etc.

Thanks,
Dave
MBP Early 2011 i7, 8 GB ram

(Sorry if this post is mess, but hopefully it makes sense.)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: To eSata or not to eSata... (there is a question in there somewhere)
on Oct 29, 2012 at 3:34:58 am

ESata is great. But obviously you just don't hear as much about it since its been a couple years since Apple made a computer capable of adding eSata capabilities. And FCP X seems to run better in many aspects on recent iMacs and MacBook Pros so in this forum I think those devices seem to be the norm.

With a more advanced eSata card you could double your raid speeds, into the 200s. And thunderbolt fairly easily doubles that.

Apple has finally ditched FW800 on the latest iMacs too.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:58:22 pm

Bret,

Thanks for the reply.

[Bret Williams] "With a more advanced eSata card you could double your raid speeds, into the 200s."
I was a bit gun shy in the beginning to go with RAID 0 and went with RAID 1. But, I always back up immediately after working, so RAID 0 would probably be the way to go. I don't have the stats as to how much faster 0 is over 1, but I know it is. (Maybe into the 200s?)

[Bret Williams] "And thunderbolt fairly easily doubles that."
I've got a 2011 MBP i7 with Thunderbolt, but my understanding is that it's my two RAID 1 7200 drives at this point that keep the speed lower vs. the eSata connection. It seems ThunderBolt would be overkill. If I'm incorrect about this please let me know.

As soon as get the money and time, I'll double my ram from 8GB to 16GB, upgrade to 10.0.6 (still on 10.0.4) and move from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. My understanding is that each one of these should give me a nice speed boost. And, re-format to RAID 0.
--

I'll keep using the eSATA vs. FW800 connection as long as I can remember to re-boot when finished. I forgot a couple of days ago and the next day I had a major crash (for some reason, it always seems to be the next day). Evidently, eSATA cards in Mac Pros don't have this problem, but if you are using it via an ExpressCard slot like I am, you MUST reboot when done.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:19:45 pm

I have an eSata raid.

The pros I know still use eSata. Even with Thunderbolt, you can still use eSata, at least I am planning to until everything is repurchased as Thunderbolt over time. If I did have Thunderbolt, I couldn't connect it to my desktop systems, which is one of the reasons I have been holding off as long as possible.

I don't have to reboot using eSata. What card do you have?

A disk speed test doesn't necessarily equate to a stream count as it doesn't take in to account any processing the NLE has to do when playing back.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:32:17 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I don't have to reboot using eSata. What card do you have?"

I've got the OWC Slim eSATA ExpressCard/34 Adapter. Keep in mind this is a MBP. I don't think the Mac Pro eSATA cards have the same issue.

As I mentioned in the original post, FCP X continually hoses the directory structure of the RAID (until the drive is un-readable by the OS), so I was forced to buy Disk Warrior and now run it regularly. The Disk Warrior senior engineers stated that eSATA is not hot-swappable and that certainly has been my experience. I asked specifically about the kind or quality of eSATA ExpressCards and they didn't think it mattered, you should still re-boot when finished (and boot up from a cold boot with the drive on and connected).

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:38:35 pm

[Dave Gage] "I've got the OWC Slim eSATA ExpressCard/34 Adapter. Keep in mind this is a MBP. I don't think the Mac Pro eSATA cards have the same issue."

When I work eSata it's with an MBP. I have other storage methods for my desktops.

Stop what you're doing any buy the Sonnet PRO express/34.

6Gb version: http://sonnettech.com/product/temposatapro6gbexpresscard34.html

They also have a 3Gb/sec version, but why bother.

[Dave Gage] "As I mentioned in the original post, FCP X continually hoses the directory structure of the RAID (until the drive is un-readable by the OS),"

I don't understand. What do you mean by this? How exactly does it get hosed and why is FCPX the culprit?

[Dave Gage] "so I was forced to buy Disk Warrior and now run it regularly. The Disk Warrior senior engineers stated that eSATA is not hot-swappable and that certainly has been my experience. I asked specifically about the kind or quality of eSATA ExpressCards and they didn't think it mattered, you should still re-boot when finished (and boot up from a cold boot with the drive on and connected)."

I almost never do that, nothing is ever hosed.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 31, 2012 at 9:36:58 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Stop what you're doing any buy the Sonnet PRO express/34.

6Gb version: http://sonnettech.com/product/temposatapro6gbexpresscard34.html"

I only need one port and prior research told me that the speed limitation would be the drives and not the connection. My OWC 2-drive enclosure maxes out at 3Gb. But, I have heard excellent things about the Sonnet cards. It seems like at this point, when I'm ready to upgrade, I should just go directly to TB.

[Jeremy Garchow] "
I don't understand. What do you mean by this?"

The RAID becomes unreadable by the OS and Disk Utility and asks to reformat it when connected. I and MacSales.com thought it was a bad enclosure (although I'm beginning to trust their support less and less). The second time the disk became unreadable, I bought Disk Warrior and gave it a shot. (The first time I took the drives out, reformatted, and copied from a backup). Disk Warrior saw the drive, fixed the directory structure and all data was intact.

[Jeremy Garchow] "How exactly does it get hosed and why is FCPX the culprit?"
I think it may come from a combination of moving events and projects from within FCP X and also using the Finder to move events and projects manually (always on the same drive though as from "Final Cut Events" to "Final Cut Events NOT-USING". The last time it happened I had recently used the Move and Consolidate functions from within the program which crashed the FCP X and forced me to re-boot FCP X and the computer before it would work again.

I assume FCP X is the culprit because the only time this drive is used or connected is when I'm using FCP X. There is nothing else on there but events, projects, and media. A couple of years ago it was the FCP 7 Capture drive, but I never had any problems with it.

Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 9:43:04 pm

[Dave Gage] "I only need one port and prior research told me that the speed limitation would be the drives and not the connection."

It's not just the speed limitation, it's everything that comes with it. Relibaility being one of them.

[Dave Gage] "The RAID becomes unreadable by the OS and Disk Utility and asks to reformat it when connected. I and MacSales.com thought it was a bad enclosure (although I'm beginning to trust their support less and less). The second time the disk became unreadable, I bought Disk Warrior and gave it a shot. (The first time I took the drives out, reformatted, and copied from a backup). Disk Warrior saw the drive, fixed the directory structure and all data was intact."

This is insane.

[Dave Gage] "I think it may come from a combination of moving events and projects from within FCP X and also using the Finder to move events and projects manually (always on the same drive though as from "Final Cut Events" to "Final Cut Events NOT-USING". The last time it happened I had recently used the Move and Consolidate functions from within the program which crashed the FCP X and forced me to re-boot FCP X and the computer before it would work again.

I assume FCP X is the culprit because the only time this drive is used or connected is when I'm using FCP X. There is nothing else on there but events, projects, and media. A couple of years ago it was the FCP 7 Capture drive, but I never had any problems with it."

This is insane x2.

FCPX would not causes any of this. My feeling is you have a bad enclosure, or simply failing hard drives.

The first (and cheapest) step is to buy the Sonnet card. You can always get the THunderbolt dongle for it if you'd like (Also from Sonnet) http://sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

It's not for drive speed, it's so that your drives don't crap out, which has nothing to do with FCPX.

How are you setting up Raid 1?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:14:18 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " Relibaility being one of them."

I agree. I saved some money, but should have gone the quality route instead.

[Jeremy Garchow] "This is insane."

Could be, but I haven't had this problem since I began using Disk Warrior.

[Jeremy Garchow] "My feeling is you have a bad enclosure, or simply failing hard drives."

Maybe yes on the enclosure, but after the first bad experience, I took the drives out and used them separately, one for capture and the other for backup, and never had any issues with the drives used by themselves for about 6 months. I also ran every test I could on the drives and they came up fine.

[Jeremy Garchow] "How are you setting up Raid 1?"

It's a small app from OWC called "Oxsemi Configurator". I believe it gives me the choice of RAID 1 or 0. I've been with Macs since the Mac Plus and worked for a while in IT, but this is my first personal experience with RAID. Have you heard anything good or bad about the enclosure itself, OWC Elite-AL Pro? I remember seeing this enclosure recommended back in the FCP 7 days.
--

The reason I came up with the corrupted directory structure as the possible cause of my problems and why I went to Disk Warrior was reading different posts over at FCP.co. BenB especially recommends running DW frequently as regular maintenance, but I've seen many others there also say the same thing. I haven't seen DW recommended as much here at the Cow, but I assumed others here likely used it also.

I must say that since I broke down and ponied up the $100 for Disk Warrior, I went ahead ran it on all my computers and drives. This MBP i7 was taking about 90-120 seconds to reboot. Since running DW, it's back to about 30 seconds. Disk Utility did basically nothing, but I'm now a believer in DW.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:29:14 pm

I just checked out the price for the Tempo SATA Pro 6Gb ExpressCard/34 card. I guess with ThunderBolt out, they are really dropping the prices on these cards. It was down to about $118. I'm too broke from the lousy economy to buy anything at the moment, but I will keep this in mind. Although since I have my workarounds in place, I might be better served putting the money to upgrading my RAM to 16GB.

Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:49:52 pm

[Dave Gage] "It's a small app from OWC called "Oxsemi Configurator". I believe it gives me the choice of RAID 1 or 0. I've been with Macs since the Mac Plus and worked for a while in IT, but this is my first personal experience with RAID. Have you heard anything good or bad about the enclosure itself, OWC Elite-AL Pro? I remember seeing this enclosure recommended back in the FCP 7 days."

OWC is a good company. My experience has always been good.

What exact enclosure do you have? It's a double enclosure with one sata port?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:25:09 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "OWC is a good company. My experience has always been good."

That's good to hear. My recent experiences with eSATA cards and enclosures have been mixed, but I've been happy with everything else, especially RAM upgrades ($107 now for 16GB).

[Jeremy Garchow] "
What exact enclosure do you have? It's a double enclosure with one sata port?"

This is it:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Mercury-EliteAL-Pro-RAID

RAID 1 setup with two Samsung 1 TB drives. (I've had great luck with the Samsung drives. Very quiet, and haven't had one die on me... yet).

This is the eSATA card I bought from them-
(Whoops, they don't have it listed any more. After our conversation here, I wonder if they had complaints and removed it or, they could just be out of stock.)

Dave

[By the way, I saw a couple of months back you had a newborn. Congratulations! I hope all is going well. I have 2 newborn boys that just turned 8 and 10 last week. It goes very, very quickly.]

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:29:38 am

[Dave Gage] "RAID 1 setup with two Samsung 1 TB drives. (I've had great luck with the Samsung drives. Very quiet, and haven't had one die on me... yet).
"

If the raid1 is split, can you format two drives separately? Meaning, even though there's one connection, can you see two drives when you aren't in raid1?

[Dave Gage] "[By the way, I saw a couple of months back you had a newborn. Congratulations! I hope all is going well. I have 2 newborn boys that just turned 8 and 10 last week. It goes very, very quickly.]"

Ha! Thanks so much, and congrats on your 8 and 10 year old newborns! ;)

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:44:31 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "
If the raid1 is split, can you format two drives separately? Meaning, even though there's one connection, can you see two drives when you aren't in raid1?"

I think I understand your question, but maybe not. If I take them out of the enclosure, they are obviously identical and Carbon Copy Cloner sees them as the same drive if both are mounted on the desktop simultaneously. If I throw one into the NewerTech Voyager, all is normal with each drive. This particular enclosure will only do RAID, it's not possible to use the drives separately within it (isn't that called JBOD? If it is, it won't do that.)

[Jeremy Garchow] "
Ha! Thanks so much, and congrats on your 8 and 10 year old newborns! ;)"

I just got back from a bike ride with them. For me, it gets more fun the older they get. They're like little people now. Who'd of thunk it?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:00:12 am

[Dave Gage] "I think I understand your question, but maybe not. If I take them out of the enclosure, they are obviously identical and Carbon Copy Cloner sees them as the same drive if both are mounted on the desktop simultaneously. If I throw one into the NewerTech Voyager, all is normal with each drive. This particular enclosure will only do RAID, it's not possible to use the drives separately within it (isn't that called JBOD? If it is, it won't do that.)"

I see. So no JBOD.

It sounds kinda shady, Dave. There is no reason the drives should be failing like that, it seems like something is amiss. I looked at the website and it says it comes with SoftRAID. What I don't understand is if it's a hardware or software raid.

I have never used that particular enclosure before but my guess is that FCPX has nothing to do with it. Even if you weren't using FCPX and you started moving files around, it would probably fail.

You shouldn't have to run Disk Warrior that much.

If you put in two brand new drives in that enclosure, what do you have to do?

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:25:13 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "What I don't understand is if it's a hardware or software raid."

I couldn't tell you. I never really got that deep into it. It seems to be a hybrid if that makes any sense.

[Jeremy Garchow] " I looked at the website and it says it comes with SoftRAID."

That SoftRAID doesn't sound familiar. My enclosure is about 2 years old now, it might be a slightly different model and software.

[Jeremy Garchow] " Even if you weren't using FCPX and you started moving files around, it would probably fail."

That very well could be, but since it's dedicated to FCP X, I will likely never know.

[Jeremy Garchow] "
You shouldn't have to run Disk Warrior that much."

I don't know if I need to, but it's very fast to run and it makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of it. I suppose once every few months would be fine.

[Jeremy Garchow] "If you put in two brand new drives in that enclosure, what do you have to do?"

Go to Disk Utility and format each drive to Mac OS Extended (non-journaled in this case). Open the OWC Config app: Use raid 1 check box only (everything else should be left blank).
--

I just found a few of my notes from my last major crash:

"9/19/12 Called and talked to Chris again. Raid 1 enclosure won't mount now. Error comes up "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Took the two drives out and tried them separately, but both drives had the same "not readable" error. Ran Disk Utiltiy's Disk Repair and it had the errors "Invalid B-Tree node size" and couldn't fix it. Bought Disk Warrior for $108.90."

"Note also the further comments from OWC relating to my question of what is the configuration if there is a failed drive. This is fairly important as well. The RAID Mirror is rebuilt from the Primary Drive (plugged into the circuit board). So if the Primary drive fails you will need to swap them over before inserting the new drive. Having said that, if I get failed drive I will probably back-up to another disk (which I sort of do anyway) and rebuild the Raid entirely."

Q: One of my drives failed and I replaced it. Do I need to connect it to the computer to rebuild the data?
A: No, the rebuild will occur without being connected to the computer as long as the power is turned on to the enclosure.

Also according to my notes, my enclosure is officially:
OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro "Quad"- 2 drive enclosure, Oxford 936 chipset.
--

Anyway, I don't know if any of this sheds more light on the issue or not, but now you know what I know.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:52:32 am

[Dave Gage] "Go to Disk Utility and format each drive to Mac OS Extended (non-journaled in this case). Open the OWC Config app: Use raid 1 check box only (everything else should be left blank)."

Wait a minute. After you format the disk, you can't see both drives?

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:04:53 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Wait a minute. After you format the disk, you can't see both drives?"

It's been a while since I did it and haven't given it a thought since. I think you are correct, at this stage it may look like two drives, but I honestly don't remember for sure. I can tell you're getting at something, but I don't know what it is yet.

dg

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
Re: Photos at the top of forum
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:14:11 am

Jeremy,

Completely off topic here, but you'll notice that my photo is now at the top of the forum due to the amount of current postings. I had a conversation with Tim Wilson about this a while back because at the time I felt a bit strange that my photo was up there and someone like, you for instance, was not. I asked him why your photo wasn't up there and he didn't know. In theory, because of the sheer number of your posts, you should be up there and especially because you are one of the more helpful pros in the forums.

That's all. I just mention it because I was reminded of it after seeing my photo at the top. I was originally under the impression that the photos were of the pros that gave support here, but I guess it's more about the current number of posts. Strange that your pic never shows up there though.

dg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 3:01:41 am

[Dave Gage] "That's all. I just mention it because I was reminded of it after seeing my photo at the top. I was originally under the impression that the photos were of the pros that gave support here, but I guess it's more about the current number of posts. Strange that your pic never shows up there though."

It used to be forum "leaders" now it's more forum "posters" and I think if you have been "liked", although there are a few heads that seem to be permanent. I don't really know how it works, it's part chance, part decision. I think I have been locked out of both of those.

Doesn't matter, I prefer to be with the people. After all, I learn just as much as everyone.

Thank you, though, for the sentiments.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 1, 2012 at 3:36:52 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "it's part chance, part decision. I think I have been locked out of both of those."

I doubt it. I think it's more about something strange with your account. Like you said, the first 3 names are there and have been there as long as I can remember, somehow they're like pinned in. None of them post here that much any more. I don't think it's anything at all personal, it's just strangeness somewhere in the forum programming. I believe at the time I mentioned it, there was someone else who posted a lot but was never up there. It might have been Tim Payton, but it was a few months ago. [I just went back and found the email. It was yourself and Tim Payton and Steve Connor that didn't seem to make it to the top.] I believe it's one of those things they call a "bug", maybe you've heard of them.

I bet if any of you created a new account, it would be fixed. Clearly, not a big deal, but that's my guess. I just mentioned it to Tim Wilson because I felt I should be replaced ("I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.")

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:57:22 am

[Dave Gage] "It's been a while since I did it and haven't given it a thought since. I think you are correct, at this stage it may look like two drives, but I honestly don't remember for sure. I can tell you're getting at something, but I don't know what it is yet."

What is bothering me is that you say that FCPX "hoses the drive".

What you have explained to me is some sort of drive or more likely controller type of "failure". If Disk Warrior is helping you, the catalogs are getting scrambled. This can be caused by a number of things, but it is usually related to some hardware type of weirdness, at least in my experience.

It could be the SATA card, the controller in the drive itself (if there is one), or something to do with how this weird software is controlling the hard drives.

OSX has the capability to build a Raid1 on its own.

I would want to restripe your drives with the OSX raid1 and see if it does any better.

if not, I'd swap the SATA card.

If that doesn't work, I'd swap the enclosure.

In cost order, it goes:

Costs nothing but time and a backup.

Costs a new sata card that will be useful for as long as you use sata drives.

More expensive at which point you might think about another type of upgrade (Thunderbolt, etc)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:05:52 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "What is bothering me is that you say that FCPX "hoses the drive"."

I'm sure you can see how I would come to that conclusion. It just doesn't seem like hardware could screw up the directory structure. As I said earlier, the last time the drive got hosed, it was immediately after doing some moves with media from within FCP X and then the program got confused and beach balled. I did all the usual stuff like quitting and trashing prefs and such and then went back into FCP X and needed to re-import and re-link some files. I made it through the session, but the next time I plugged the drive in... hosed. Certainly could have been coincidence, but it didn't feel like it.

[Jeremy Garchow] " This can be caused by a number of things, but it is usually related to some hardware type of weirdness, at least in my experience."

That's new to me, but I don't have a ton experience with this particular issue.

[Jeremy Garchow] "OSX has the capability to build a Raid1 on its own."

I asked OWC about that when I re-did the RAID setup last time and they recommended I use their app and not the Disk Utility version.

[Jeremy Garchow] "I would want to restripe your drives with the OSX raid1 and see if it does any better.
if not, I'd swap the SATA card.
If that doesn't work, I'd swap the enclosure."

All good suggestions and I'll likely go in that direction in a couple of months. The economy and youtube has really killed my business and I'm about 4 years behind the curve in getting video up on my websites (which is why I'm here in the FCP world in the first place). I'm fairly optimistic that with a few months of shooting and editing, I should be able to get going again financially. Then, I'll upgrade RAM and FCP X and the OS and take a hard look at where I want to go with the drive situation. As I mentioned earlier, I'm diligent with backup, so when I re-do the RAID, I will likely go to RAID 0. In the meantime, it's workaround city and try to keep working.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Oct 31, 2012 at 9:45:45 pm

[Dave Gage] "also using the Finder to move events and projects manually (always on the same drive though as from "Final Cut Events" to "Final Cut Events NOT-USING"."

I just re-read and wanted to be clear that I always move events and projects manually without FCP X open. I could use Event Manager, but since I don't have a ton of stuff, I'm fine with simple dragging and dropping.

dg

Return to posts index

James Haefner
on Dec 19, 2012 at 3:54:08 pm

hi ALL > sorry this conversation is over > but it is relevant to my current situation

Computer: MBP 10.6.8 > 4gb RAM
Software: FCP 7 Suite

Working with more HD footage

Computer > Log and Transfer time is slow > FCP Time line rendering is slow > playback sluggish

Money is tight and I am trying to initially figure out if I can still optimize this Unit till I can purchase a NEW Desktop and then decide what software to use since Apple decide to not continue FCP 7 to be installed

Tried using my ESATA configuration again, seemed to work at first, opened project seem a little faster, rendered a sequence, but when I returned to the computer > FCP crashed a couple times > then was sluggish after starting up again

Q: Is it perhaps the cheap Express Card i purchased? You guys mentioned something about rebooting each time? Anyway if anyone can chime in I some tips and advice I am broke n need to get work done > if I can still work this laptop to external GDRIVE configuration > please I am open to any and all suggestions > thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]