FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scratch 6 and Premiere pro CS5 RED workflow

COW Forums : Assimilate Scratch

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adasa Cookey
Scratch 6 and Premiere pro CS5 RED workflow
on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:52:31 am

Hello,

i am new to handling RED footage. Can someone please advice how i can get the looks i create in scratch 6 and apply it in premiere pro cs5? i have tried exporting lut and applying it using lut buddy but it does not translate well and i far from what i graded.

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
Re: Scratch 6 and Premiere pro CS5 RED workflow
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:51:08 am

How did you create the looks? Was it through setting up Metadata of RED-Media or doing actual grading?
If yes, was ist just primary, or secondary grading additionally?
And last: What kind of lut did you export (1D, 3D..)?

Return to posts index

Adasa Cookey
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:42:12 pm

Thanks for your reply Mathias,

i did white balance in the metadata, then did the grade using the tools available. then i saved both 1D and 3D lut. but the result when i apply in Premiere is bad, not what i graded in scratch at all.

Pls help.

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:18:19 am

Changing Metadata means, you did alter some vaules within the Process-Menu.
This is not being seen as a "grading", since all settings under the Process-Menu determine the way how Scratch interprets the footage (because every grading starts upon the already correct interpreted files)
In my opinion, Scratch doesn't include any changes made in the RED-Metadata-options into an exported lut, since these settings are not taken into account as an actual "grading".
So in a lut would be included everything you set up within the Matrix, but not how you interpreted the footage within Scratch - probably that's why there's a difference, when viewing it in Premiere.

Concluding, you would need to tell Premiere to exactly interpret the RED-Footage, as you told Scratch to do (color-temperature, ISO, F-Lut, etc...) and then apply the lut you exported from Scratch.
Apparently, I don't know how Premiere /Lut-buddy interprets your 3D-lut at all, so this might also be checked (perhaps through using a more simpler lut and see what it does).
What could also work, it setting up each value of the Metadata in RedCine-X and save it with the clip itself. If Premiere uses the same original RED-Files, Scratch uses, this could also work.

Maybe there is an option to export RMD or save it to the clip, but I don't know...

Return to posts index

Adasa Cookey
on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:27:22 pm

Thanks for explaining Mathias,

i expected scratch to export changes made to the Metadata too. I will try a different method.

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
on Feb 3, 2012 at 8:29:47 am

There's no application I know, which takes Metadata-settings into account when exporting a lut... probably because your grading massively depends on the way, metadata is used and is applied upon them.

With RedCine-X you can easily modify each clips metadata, stored in the seperate RMD-file. You can also apply your settings to multiple clips at once.
Else you have to reset every clips metadata in Scratch and regrade only using the Matrix, but probably the easiest way would be to just render out a DPX-Sequence with handles + EDL and pass it on to Premiere...
if that's an option for you.

Return to posts index

Martín Iglesias
on Mar 4, 2012 at 1:27:08 pm

How can I do for export the timeline shots with handles in SCRATCH?
(I can´t find the option )

thanks

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
on Mar 4, 2012 at 5:29:42 pm

In CONstruct, select the CONstruct, and under "Media" choose "DeCONstruct".
That would be the way to go under v6.1.
Otherwise you can manage your handles via the media-browser (set Ins + Outs +/- handle-length).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]