FORUMS: list search recent posts

Assimilate Scratch Lab fails to load footage.

COW Forums : Assimilate Scratch

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thomas jones
Assimilate Scratch Lab fails to load footage.
on Nov 28, 2011 at 8:48:50 pm

Hello,

I recently downloaded the Scratch Lab demo from Assimilate's website. I followed the install procedure as instructed and have watched all the introductory videos on getting started. I am still having one problem, however. When I click "Load Shot" and select the footage I would like to import, I get the error: "Failed to load '....'"

I have attempted importing many different types of files, primarily Canon 7d .mov files. I have also tried GoPro HD .mp4 files and other footage from a Sony EX1 and Panasonic HVX200. All produce the above error.

The only thing I am successful in loading are .jpeg and .tiff still images.

I have also tried exporting this footage as an EDL from Premiere Pro CS5 and then using the "Load Conform" option within Scratch Lab. This seems to work successfully at first, but after I click 'assemble,' the timeslots only display "color frame."

I am running this on Mac OSX 10.6.8

Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
Re: Assimilate Scratch Lab fails to load footage.
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:49:10 am

Hi Thomas,

do you have the Assimilate-CSP installed?
It's available on the Assimilate-Support-Site.
You'll have to create an account there, download and install it.
Also, if Avid DnxHD MXF Output is required for testing, you should
download the Avid AMT Export Plugin there (not required for import).

For importing XDCAM EX Files from Sony EX3 or F3 or similar, you have to use 3rd party software from Calibrated software:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXDDownload.asp
and
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImportDownload.asp

.. both of them.
They are available as Trials (limitation is a watermark and a max. of 30 seconds to import per clip).

Hope that helps.

Mazze

Return to posts index

Carl Nenzen Loven
on Feb 4, 2012 at 1:51:11 pm

I am running 10.7 and are having the same issues, with both 5D and pro-res footage, But Red is no problem at all, even before I installed CSP....

Carl Nenzen Loven
Cinematic Arts student at CityU of Hong Kong

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
on Feb 6, 2012 at 9:40:06 am

Sometimes, it happens that Scratch uses the wrong import-filter, when none is specified.
When loading footage, select the corresponding file-type in the box on the lower left of the import-mask.
This "forces" Scratch to use this import-filter.
2nd benefit is, that import works faster when a file-type is determined, rather than letting Scratch search
for the correct one (which can sometimes lead to using the wrong one automatically).

cheers
Mazze

Return to posts index

Adolfo Tertuliano
on Jul 16, 2012 at 6:08:55 am

Hello.

I'm having the same problem importing XDCAM EX and Canon 5d footage. I read this thread and installed Assimilate-CSP, but unfortunately that didn't change anything. I also tried different file-type filters in the import dialogue, but that didn't help either. I have not installed the Calibrated plug-ins because on the XD-Decode page it says:

"Please note that for Mac OSX this software is not meant for or needed on computers with Final Cut Pro/Studio/Server; however it can be used on computers with only Final Cut Express."

So, since I do have FCP installed, I don't know if I really need them or not. Also, I obviously don't know much about the MP4-EX plug-in either, but isn't that for the unprocessed .MP4 clips taken right off the camera? I use XDCAM Transfer so that I can edit those clips in Final Cut Pro, and those processed clips are the ones I'm trying to import into Scratch. So, in conclusion, I don't know if I should go ahead and buy the Calibrated plug-ins or if the problem lies somewhere else.

If you'd like to share any thoughts or ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Sony PMW-EX1
Apple Final Cut Studio

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
on Jul 16, 2012 at 8:06:23 am

I would interpret this message with the emphasis on "not needed".
If I remember correctly, FCP has native support for XDCAM EX?
I think, it doesn't cause problems with FCP and if so, you can just uninstall them.
Basically, the XD Decoding Plugin is an additional Quicktime-component, which gets available to Scratch, because Scratch uses installed QT-components.
Additionally you need the mp4-import plugin to be able to import
the XDCAM EX-mp4 files.

I would give it a shot^^.

Return to posts index

Adolfo Tertuliano
on Jul 16, 2012 at 7:33:26 pm

Voila! You were absolutely right. I downloaded those plug-ins and now I can import both XDCAM and Canon 5d footage into Scratch. I honestly don't understand why I needed those extra plug-ins since FCP does natively supports XDCAM footage, but I guess I don't need to understand it as long as I can work on Scratch.

Anyway, thank you very much for your clever input and your prompt response. They're well appreciated.

Cheers.

Sony PMW-EX1
Apple Final Cut Studio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]