FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scratch Lab V8 - Outputting Offline Edit Media

COW Forums : Assimilate Scratch

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leigh O'Neill
Scratch Lab V8 - Outputting Offline Edit Media
on Apr 29, 2014 at 6:20:06 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping to deploy Scratch Lab as a dailies tool for an upcoming feature film and am having… troubles? I'm new to the software, so forgive me if I'm missing something very obvious.

I've downloaded a trial version of Scratch version 8 for Mac (I tried to download a Scratch Lab trial but could only download an installer for Scratch). I've watched quite a few tutorials, currently trying to follow along with this one here: http://www.assimilateinc.com/tutorial/scratchlab/introduction-scratch-lab-p...

I've loaded my footage (ProRes 4444 23.98 1080p Alexa footage) into the construct, no problem. I'm getting stuck at the Output stage…

Following along with this tutorial (about 22min 50sec in) I'm trying to output DNxHD 36 MXF media to work with in Avid Media Composer. In the version I've downloaded, I can add an MXF ATM Output node, but this generates an MXF file of the construct timeline, not individual clips.

In the video tutorial above, there are additional menus that I'm not seeing (again around the 22min 50sec mark), in particular the FX CTRS, which would allow me to open the PlugIns Browser. From what I can gather from the tutorial, this is where I could insert a DNxHD MXF output to be rendered as individual clips. In my version of Scratch, I am only seeing this:

Are these menus (FX CTRS>Insert>PlugIns Browser) only available in Scratch Lab? Is this tutorial showing an outdated version of Scratch? If so, how can I generate offline dailies as individual clips with Scratch V8?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Leigh

Return to posts index

Daniel Esperanssa
Re: Scratch Lab V8 - Outputting Offline Edit Media
on Apr 30, 2014 at 4:13:11 pm

Hi Leigh,
Ok so the video you mention might be V7 based but process should be quiet similar.
When you are in the Output menu, look at the "Add new Output" drop down menu on the left of the UI.
This is where you should select "MXF AMT export".
Once done, you need to set the destination path (ensure you point to an empty folder, or create a new one using the UI).
Next, the naming convention:
Over the "Browse" button, you can see "MXF AMT export".

Click on it and use metadata items. Best to try is #sname, as shown below (so you ensure the MXFs will carry the source shot name)
The AMT will then export the MXF files (video and audio -if any-) as well as the AAF and an XML (which is just a "viewable" version of the AAF).

By default the AMT (which stands for Avid Media Toolkit btw) will export each shot into a separate folder.

Also please have a look at this nice short tutorial available here
It covers mainly burn-ins but also MXF export.

Last thing: There's no "FX Controls" anymore. These functions are now available in Matrix/Shot

Have fun ;-)
D.

Return to posts index

Leigh O'Neill
on Apr 30, 2014 at 5:33:53 pm

Excellent! Thank you for the response Daniel. I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Return to posts index

Leigh O'Neill
on Apr 30, 2014 at 6:30:08 pm

Hi Daniel,

I've successfully generated MXF media and AAFs, so that's great. But I've generated individual AAFs for each clip. Is there a way to render my clips as separate MXF files, but only generate a single AAF containing all of the clips?

Thanks for your time Daniel!

Leigh

Return to posts index

Daniel Esperanssa
on Apr 30, 2014 at 7:44:15 pm

Hi Leigh,
There's no such control available in the AMT, so you can't change its behavior.
The generated AAF are the only link Avid MC will have to the source media, so what you need to do is drop all the AAFs in the Avid bin, and all the MXFs in the Avid Media Folder. Then MC will relink automatically.
If you look at Vimeo/assimilateinc/ there are several tutorials about roundtripping with Avid MC.

Cheers,
D.

Daniel Esperanssa | Assimilate Europe Ltd.

Return to posts index

Leigh O'Neill
on May 7, 2014 at 5:33:20 pm

Alright. Thanks for the clarification Daniel.

It's coming down the wire here and I've got to solidify my dailies workflow. This next question is a Scratch/Resolve question but any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated...

Here's the workflow I'm currently testing:
- Use Scratch Lab to screen dailies, generate offline MXF media for edit in MC, and generate dailies reels for producers, DOP ect.
- Cut offline in Avid MC.
- Online Conform in DaVinci Resolve using an AAF of my cut, Color Grade in Davinci Resolve.

In Resolve, I've imported my AAF trying all combinations of Resolve's conform settings but am unable to relink any of the clips in the timeline. 0 of 8 clips found when I point Resolve to my camera media folder. If I then manually import all of my camera media into the Resolve media pool, my timeline relinks. It's nice that it's able to then relink my timeline, but it's a pain to have to load ALL of my camera media in order to online a sequence that uses a fraction of this media.

I'm guessing this is a metadata issue when generating my offline dailies from camera media Scratch, as an AAF of a timeline containing Avid transcoded media generated from the same camera media conforms fine in Resolve.

In Scratch, I've messed around a bit copying metatdata in the media browser tool, then generating my offline MXF media, but this has not helped my AAF conform in Resolve.

Any ideas on a successful Scratch Lab>Avid MC>Resolve workflow?

Return to posts index

Daniel Esperanssa
on May 7, 2014 at 6:47:41 pm

Well if Resolve is able to relink only once you have loaded all the media, then it's not a Scratch issue imho...

Daniel Esperanssa | Assimilate Europe Ltd.

Return to posts index

Marc R Leonard
on May 9, 2014 at 3:13:22 pm

Not sure what type of metadata you're including, but make sure to include a tape/reel name. Then in Davinci, assist using tape name.... I'm not sure of that will help with the 'auto find' but it will make a more robust reconnect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]