FORUMS: list search recent posts

what makes scratch the 1st choise?

COW Forums : Assimilate Scratch

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
torsten neuendorf
what makes scratch the 1st choise?
on Jan 10, 2013 at 3:11:56 am

hey colour graders,

i am thinking about buying a colour grading station.
i would like to know why you people prefer scratch.

i am a senior compositor and the user interface of a software
is a very important thing for me. thats why i like avid more than fcp
or nuke more than fusion or softimage more than maya. it is basicly the
ui and not the features or the performance.

in case of davinci and scratch i dont like both interfaces very much,
but scratch scares me to death. are there solid reasons why to prefer a scratch.

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
Re: what makes scratch the 1st choise?
on Jan 10, 2013 at 8:20:02 am

Above all, it's freedom and flexibility.
Once you get your head around the combination of CONstruct und Player (the two main sections of the Scratch-UI), it's amazingly fast.
It maybe takes a day or two, to get the idea, but then the learning curve is extremely steep.

If you are from a german-speaking region, you might want to take a look at the latest issue of Digital Production Magazin, who feature a 10-page Scratch Review. Also, there is an upcoming free webinar, featuring a Scratch Introduction here:
http://www.dreamwalks.com/mailings/de_090113.html

Hope this helps a little,
Mazze

Else, you might contact me offline via the Dreamwalks email address ;-) .

Return to posts index

Daniel Esperanssa
on Jan 10, 2013 at 4:14:13 pm

Hi Torsten,

Matthias is right.

People tend to be scared by the UI because it's different than anything else, but once they start "getting it" (which can take from 2h to a day or so), they get addicted. Reason is that the Scratch UI is "logical" and its architecture makes is react as fast as you think, and that's more time for creativity.

The 2nd reason is speed. Scratch can deal with almost any file format and output the same. No ingest, no proxy generation, just indexing. And that's bloody fast. Point to a folder with thousands of files (ie: 1 day of shoot or more) and play it. Done.

The 3rd reason is flexibility. From data management (rock solid) to deliverables, you can address any task from on-set dailies to conform, primary & secondary grades, versioning (huge) etc.
Need compositing? Go ahead, either do it in Scratch or, if you have a favorite app on which you feel more confortable, just add this app button into your Scratch UI in 10 seconds without scripting.

Then you will realize you're in front of a real "Creative DI" system and use it as a backbone in any existing workflow.

Try it...

Return to posts index

torsten neuendorf
on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:18:06 pm

hey daniel,

thanks for the response, your 3rd point is the most interresting thing
for me. scratch should work as a central media management and shot distribution tool. the grading part is less important than the ability to create verions from what ever cutlist format.

has scratch a clever way to deal with changes in the edit without the need of re-doing the grade.

@mattes - i am german you are right, but i live in canada - best regards to robert btw and thanks for your response too

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
on Jan 11, 2013 at 7:56:47 am

Yes, it has - you can just re-conform your graded timeline (and add new shots easily if there are) to a new EDL / AAF / XML.
Or you could do a complete new conform and use the "copy grade" function (mark all shots in graded CONstruct, hit "copy grade", go to new conformed CONstruct and hit "paste" - Scratch now automatically copies the right grading to the right shots).
That's especially helpfull, when pre-grading on offline-footage and doing an online afterwards - you can just copy the grades to the online-timeline, once you get the online-footage^^.

Cheers,
Mazze

PS.: Greetz forwarded ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]