FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow DSLR footage in FCP to Scratch

COW Forums : Assimilate Scratch

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fer Mesias
Workflow DSLR footage in FCP to Scratch
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:46:27 pm

Hi,
I'll be grading a movie in a couple of weeks, it was done with a Canon DSLR, and its being edited in FCP.

It is possible to work with an EDL or XML (since DSLR has no tc), could it be inserted from FCP into the media clips?

if not, I'll ask them to give me the secuence exported in Proress, but Im working in a PC, (it should read Prores) what codec I use for ouput the finish?

Uncompress, AVID DNX may be?

It look like will be for web and sent to independent festivals.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
Re: Workflow DSLR footage in FCP to Scratch
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:04:54 am

Hi,

if you have the chance, you could load all 5D-footage into Scratch, generate TC and Reel-IDs for each one and export them as ProRes for editing in FCP,
so conforming via XML would most likely give you no problems.

Without doing so, I guess you can relink most of the clips properly through Clip-name and TC (which would be more an "Offset" from start of the clip, than real TC) with a XML from FCP.
If the editing part is -really- done and no further (or at least major) changes are planned, the editors coudl render out a ProRes-sequence with handles and still give you an EDL or XML and you could use the "Reverse Assemble"-function inside Scratch to get each cut and dissolve back.

Delivery-format depends on what the end-customer needs - I'd ask them for specs.
For most web-stuff, I would say QT H264 is sufficient, but it depends.
At least, I'd render out one uncompressed sequence (dpx with seperate BWF-Audio file, or Quicktime uncompressed with PCM audio, if the feature is not too long) for archiving, from which you can convert into different other formats.

Hope this helps^^.

Return to posts index

Fer Mesias
Re: Workflow DSLR footage in FCP to Scratch
on Jul 3, 2012 at 1:55:23 pm

Hi Matthias
Thanks for the advice, it seems I'd be doing the reverse assemble.
Bye and thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]