FORUMS: list search recent posts

4k dpx grading realtime?

COW Forums : Assimilate Scratch

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thibaut Lavalier
4k dpx grading realtime?
on Mar 10, 2012 at 11:52:50 am

Hi Everyone,

I am putting a suite together and am wondering what performance a current dual xeon will yield with 4k 10bit uncompressed material outputting 1080p. Mass storage will not be a problem at all.
How many scaffolds can you approximately stack with a quadro 4000?
Would you just add a Tesla, if one has another x16 slot to get more performance?

Does anyone has experience in this regard?

I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks!

T

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
Re: 4k dpx grading realtime?
on Apr 2, 2012 at 11:53:44 am

No experience on that, but I'd suggest a Quadro 6000 for this, since this is the most blown up (and at least supported) graphics board for Scratch.
Tesla-boards aren't supported at all and Scratch does not seem to gain anything from them.
If I remember correct, DPX decoding, as well as encoding is completely
done on the graphics-board, not on CPU - so for 4k uncompressed
you could really use the power of a Quadro 6000.

Return to posts index

Daniel Esperanssa
Re: 4k dpx grading realtime?
on Apr 4, 2012 at 2:01:29 am

Thibaud,

Sorry for this late reply.

There are several points to address when planning to build a 4K workflow, but the most important is to understand how Scratch works. So "Why" would you need a 4K Project if your deliverables are HD ??
If you need to deliver 4K dpx or tiff etc, then it makes sense. Otherwise it just doesn't.
You'll also need real time playback (for your comfort) of the source material. Is it 4K DPX ? Then 1.3 Gb /second in Read will be required.
Second point: As Mathias said, there's no benefit for Scratch to use Tesla or SLI. Using a 6000SDI will give you enough power wrt scaffolds.
Third point: You should connect with the support team in order to get more "hints & tips"

Cheers,

Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]