FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scratch for more than just colorgrading? smoke alternative???

COW Forums : Assimilate Scratch

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Palle Planetprygler
Scratch for more than just colorgrading? smoke alternative???
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:42:10 am

Hello Everybody

I'm checking out scratch for our TV commercial workflow at the moment. Right now we use FCP7 for onlining, conforming audio layback and final output. Then davinci resolve for color grading and nuke for VFX stuff.

I have tried the 14 days demo version, and it seems to me that scratch is capable of more than just color grading and conforming. It's almost like scratch is a mini smoke / smoke alternative. On paper and by my very limited experience, it seems that Scratch should be able to finish a project completely (or 90 % of our regular TV commercial jobs) and by finishing I'm thinking about conforming, minor paint and fixing, colorgrading, adding and animating graphics, any effects you can do with sapphire, audio layback, and final output.

So what I'm dreaming about is that I can skip FCP 7 and resolve, and use scratch as my project hub/host thingy, and then use nuke for the more VFX heavy stuff.

So I'm wondering is anyone doing this kind of workflow in real life, and do you scratch guys think it is possible to base so much workflow on scratch??

Cheers
Palle

Return to posts index

Daniel Esperanssa
Re: Scratch for more than just colorgrading? smoke alternative???
on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:31:13 am

Hi Palle,
You are correct: Scratch is much more than just a color grading platform. It's an open workflow backbone, and this is the way most of the people are using it (please see the Case Studies on http://www.assimilateinc.com/customers/case-studies and the tutorials on http://www.assimilateinc.com/support/tutorials-scratch - if not done already).
Because it is open, uses an SQL lite db and has a strong xml background, you can have it communicate with other apps if you wish. The Scratch2Nuke scripts, freely available, are a good example.

Adding this to its rock solid (for years) conform tools, grading, compositing but also versioning capabilities made it the tool of choice for a wide range of successful facilities.

People tend to compare Scratch to Smoke, the same way they were comparing Scratch to Lustre a few years ago. But if you spend some more time on Scratch, you will see how it can do much more. The biggest difference is that Scratch is...alive and evolves really fast. And the Assimilate support is awesome !
So if you wish, please contact Assimilate for a longer eval. I'm sure they'll be glad to send you a new license.

And there's much more to come for NAB :-)

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel Esperanssa | Assimilate Europe Ltd.

Return to posts index

Palle Planetprygler
on Mar 9, 2012 at 11:46:50 am

- I'm totally looking forward to the NAB announcements....

cheers
Palle

Return to posts index

Palle Planetprygler
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:06:06 pm

"...Because it is open, uses an SQL lite db and..."

What do you mean using a SQL lite db? I thought scratch just saved regular files, like a nuke script or a FCP project?

-or is it something else you are talking about?

cheers
Palle

Return to posts index

Daniel Esperanssa
on Mar 10, 2012 at 10:27:57 am

Are these "regular" files ?
I just wanted to point out that Scratch was an open platform, and SQLite proves that (see: http://www.sqlite.org/)

Cheers,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Daniel Esperanssa
on Mar 11, 2012 at 2:43:45 am

Forgot to add: Any Construct / Group / Project can be exported in its own format, XML or HTML...

Return to posts index

Palle Planetprygler
on Mar 12, 2012 at 10:09:52 am

Hi Daniel

Yes I can remember the XML/HTML export, but what about the native scratch project?

I our case, we have 5 identical (software/hardware) suite setups, and we have all our projects files and media on a SAN. It is really important to us that a project (at the moment: FCP, nuke, AE, PR, PS, etc.) can be opened in any suite and moved to or opened in one of the other other suites, by an other person, as smooth and quick as possible.
For instance that is really easy with nuke comp's, because they are just located on the SAN in a simple folder structure that goes something like this: /SAN/project/comp/blablabla_v038.nk, and that is accessible to all the workstations.

So if the same should be possible with the scratch project, would that only be possible through XML export? or is it possible to have the scratch project saved directly in the correct project folder (/SAN/project/grade/scratch/), so it can be opened directly from any workstation with a scratch license?

Oh, and by the way, are there any specific things I should look forward to at NAB? ;)

cheers
Palle

Return to posts index

Daniel Esperanssa
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:03:47 am

Palle,
Without entering the details that you would get connecting with support @ Assimilate:
There's no problem getting a project db located on a SAN or, even better, on a server connected to the SAN. This is a very common workflow and numerous Scratch facilities are using it succesfuly.
But please contact support for more details.

Now wrt NAB, do you honestly think i would unveal anything here and now ???? :-)

Cheers,
Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]