FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scratch is a vampire!

COW Forums : Assimilate Scratch

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian McLaren
Scratch is a vampire!
on Feb 26, 2012 at 4:43:35 am

Now that I'm getting comfortable with Scratch, I want to use it to create some demonstration videos about simple image manipulation for use in my film school classes. I like Scratch for this as it has the image, the controls (such as curves) and a waveform monitor on the same screen; better than Resolve for my purposes (I don't care for the multicolored waveform monitor in Resolve, too difficult to read.)

The problem is that when it comes to screen capture software, Scratch is a vampire! It is invisible in a mirror (actually in screen capture). I start the screen capture and you can see the image fine, but once I do anything, such as play the timeline or make an adjustment to the image: the screen capture either goes blank (although you can still see the mouse pointer moving) or the image freezes: nothing changes on screen (even if the timeline is playing) but again you can still see the mouse pointer moving, just as it did in Scratch.

I've tried four different screen capture apps; both on Windows 7 and on Windows 7 running in Parallels on a Mac Pro. Some either record a blank screen (although the initial Scratch screen is always there until I change something and it disappears) or the first screen "freezes" although the mouse still moves.

The reason I am asking here is clearly there must be something about how Scratch operates; how it displays. Anybody know how it is different. For example, I have no trouble at all recording screen capture videos of Resolve or other software. Any way I can get Scratch to operate differently or perhaps some type of screen capture software I can use? I've tried Camtasia, Camstudio, and a couple of others. Microsoft Expression Encoder came closest.

Any ideas are welcome.

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
Re: Scratch is a vampire!
on Feb 27, 2012 at 8:47:11 am

As far as I know, most of the features in Scratch are running via OpenGL, and so does the UI.

On Windows, it may help if you set the Buffer Flipping mode in the
Nvidia Control Panel ==> 3D Settings ==> Base Profile to "Block Transfer".
This works well when doing support-sessions via Teamviewer,
so perhaps it help's with your screen recordings, too.

greetz
Mazze

Return to posts index

Brian McLaren
on Feb 27, 2012 at 6:31:21 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. More and more, I'm thinking I need to update my video card for this to work. I've noticed that Scratch also does not properly do dual screen mode. The Scratch logo appears on the second monitor but goes away once I start to do anything.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Quadro 4000.

Return to posts index

Matthias Aderhold
on Feb 27, 2012 at 6:48:33 pm

A Quadro 4000 definitely makes sense, since Scratch does nearly everything
via OpenGL and Cuda and therefore heavily depends on the power of your graphics-board.
With a Quadro-Card (which, besides, is officially supported), you'll notice a huge performance-boost.

Return to posts index

Bill Claghorn
on Jul 15, 2012 at 9:59:57 am

Assimilate gave me a fix. Some of the new nVidia drivers do not have that setting. This worked for me in the file:

C:/Program Data/Assimilator/Settings/SConfig.txt

Uncomment out this line:

; Make the main UI window 1 line smaller to compensate for an NVidia bug
NV_DUALHEAD_BUG = TRUE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]