FORUMS: list search recent posts

More regarding the New X Color Tools...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
More regarding the New X Color Tools...
on Jan 4, 2018 at 10:34:38 pm

Steve and Mark have just posted a new MacBreak studio that some here might enjoy watching regarding the practical application of the new FCP X color tools.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: More regarding the New X Color Tools...
on Jan 4, 2018 at 11:39:03 pm

Thanks Bill. It looks like some tidy tools. Still fairly basic and I could see the errant behavior with adjusting luma and black level on the wheels page. That extra tweaking of black level after adjusting luma would drive me nuts.

Lots of areas that can be developed. I like having adjustments to qualifiers and being able to see the mask that a qualifier creates. Often the mask need to be isolated by a tracking power window, plus softened and cleaned. I'd be interesting in hearing how the new tools compare to third party plugins for X. Obviously free is a good thing and it is an improvement.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 5, 2018 at 2:59:08 am

This actually has me excited to learn more about color work - largely because these tools are now at my fingertips daily. This is probably similar to how Premiere users felt when they got Lumetri folded in?

It ALL advances the industry.

It seems like there may never have been “something wrong” about how Apple is approaching color here - they are doing what they have always done - rethinking how the interface might be designed In order to make a complex process more approachable to those Who aren’t yet conditioned to do things in a particular way.

That’s kinda Apples thing.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 5, 2018 at 4:04:27 am

[Bill Davis] "It seems like there may never have been “something wrong” about how Apple is approaching color here - they are doing what they have always done - rethinking how the interface might be designed In order to make a complex process more approachable to those Who aren’t yet conditioned to do things in a particular way. "

I'm pretty confident that there is a problem with the way they adjust gain and gamma with the wheels as they have it right with Rec 2020 color space but different with Rec 709. It makes no sense and I'm sure they will fix it. They are otherwise totally following standard convention with curves and qualifiers so unlike the board they have given bog standard tools and methodology. There is no new approach here. It's actually the opposite.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 5, 2018 at 1:09:24 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jan 5, 2018 at 1:31:15 pm

This is a nice, basic demo, but I don't know why the addition of curves should be all that exciting. After all, what was added and what is being demoed by Mark and Steve is something that's been around in various applications for about 2 decades. However, it does point to the fact that Curves is probably to most useful addition Apple made. Plus, it does seem like the processing is correct, as opposed to the Color Wheels.

If you've lived in the FCP cocoon, then maybe all of this is earth-shattering, but even there, simply opening up Color would have exposed you to this. (That's why some of us were ticked off that Apple dropped Color.) Not to mention various plug-ins offered for FCP "legacy" and X. But color contrast method doesn't require curves and has been demoed with 3-way correctors for many years. Check out Stu Maschwitz's numerous Magic Bullet Looks and Colorista demos.

Really, the more important work is in the implementation of HDR. That's still a work-in-progress and HDR is largely the wild, wild west, but at least Apple is attempting to take a leadership role. Unfortunately, to do HDR properly, requires a significant investment in external i/o hardware and HDR display. And no, you cannot grade HDR properly on a computer display.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 5, 2018 at 9:04:13 pm

[Oliver Peters] "This is a nice, basic demo, but I don't know why the addition of curves should be all that exciting. After all, what was added and what is being demoed by Mark and Steve is something that's been around in various applications for about 2 decades. However, it does point to the fact that Curves is probably to most useful addition Apple made. Plus, it does seem like the processing is correct, as opposed to the Color Wheels."

Nothing earth shattering. But I'm working better and faster doing color correction than I ever have in X. To use curves before, you either had to get ColorFinale or more recently Chromatic. Either case required you to open a window on top of your interface. And everytime I switched clips I had to reopen. Some have said it should stay open, but that was never my experience.

And the curve window in ColorFinale was too small to make fine adjustments. Also the Hue-Saturation curves in the new color tool work really well. That only existed recently in ColorFinale and I found it didn't work the way I expected it to. Apple's tool does.

Also the addition of White Balance adjustment in the Color Wheels section saves me from having to use another plug-in.

Once they fix the Color Wheel luminance adjustment, it's going to be really solid.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 5, 2018 at 1:14:56 pm

[Bill Davis] "This actually has me excited to learn more about color work"

BTW - haven't you been the one arguing all the way up to 10.4 that the color board was perfectly fine and all you really needed? ☺

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 5, 2018 at 4:30:49 pm

[Oliver Peters] "BTW - haven't you been the one arguing all the way up to 10.4 that the color board was perfectly fine and all you really needed? ☺"

Absolutely.

I was crystal clear that my needs have been pretty basic as I never saw myself as any kind of precision colorist (and still don’t.)

I’ve never worked in the realms where “looks” might be important.

What always has been important to me is the ability to make people look good on camera.

The color board easily let me correct improperly white bakanced, poorly exposed, or mismatched shots extremely quickly and efficiently l. That had tremendous value to me. Still does.

If the new tools help me go beyond that - and lets me work with video a bit more like I’ve always been able to work with stills in the realm of contrast adjustment and directing the viewers eyes to the important parts of scenes - I certainly welcome that.

To me - this is a huge improvement in my tool of choice. It was great before in my assessment for reasons based on speed and organizational capability (and other things, of course) - but pretty basic on how it addressed color work - something that appears to be increasingly important as the technology continues to evolve (Rec2020, et al.)

Now it appears to be much better.

For free!

What’s not to like? 😊

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]