FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where Are the Audio Dissolves in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Freeman
Where Are the Audio Dissolves in FCPX?
on Jul 9, 2011 at 7:11:31 pm

I dont see them. I tried the audio dissolve but ever time I add that it affects the other audio tracks and changes their duration and in and out points.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Where Are the Audio Dissolves in FCPX?
on Jul 10, 2011 at 1:15:09 am

None exist as of yet in FCP X. You do that with the volume keyframing within the tracks- pen tool functionality, etc.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Nick Freeman
on Jul 10, 2011 at 2:25:36 am

How do you turn on the pen tool?

Return to posts index

Joel Granholm
on Jul 10, 2011 at 4:20:11 am

To have FCPX use media handles for transitions (like FCP7 does) instead of sliding clips, open Preferences and go to the Editing tab, then, under "Transitions", make sure "Apply transitions using" is set to "Available Media".

All transitions applied to clips with audio will (or should) result in a crossfade on the audio, regardless of which transition it is.

There are two ways you can manually fade the audio of a clip in & out:

1) Use the audio "Fade" handles: When you mouse over the audio, you'll see a round handle at the beginning and end of the clip. You simply drag these to set the duration of the fade. You can control-click a Fade handle to chose the shape of the curve for the fade.

2) Keyframe the audio level: Choose Show Audio Animation under the Clip menu (Ctrl-A), then you can option-click the volume control (the black line) to add keyframes.

If your audio is in a video clip but you want to apply a transition only to the audio, you can do one of the following:

1) Expand the clips (Ctrl-S) then extend the audio in/out points of each clip so they overlap, then manually fade the audio for each clip. You can collapse the clips again when you're done.

2) Split the clips (Cmd-Shift-G) to separate the audio from video, then bring the audio clips together in a secondary storyline (Cmd-G), then apply a transition to them to get the cross fade (Cmd-T). This will be the faster option for applying to several clips, but the audio & video link for the clips will be broken.

However you do it, I would say the most important step is to send feedback to Apple to try to get them to give us back our proper cross-fades.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 10, 2011 at 6:48:39 am

Select the two clips you want to use the dissolve on.
Detach Audio (Control Shift S)
Select the audio clips and make Secondary Storyline (Command G)
Add the Dissolve effect and it will be an audio only dissolve

No need to mess with keyframes although more complex than it should be.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Audio Only Dissolve - Quick Video Tutorial
on Jul 10, 2011 at 7:18:25 am

Audio Only Dissolve in Final Cut Pro X

Return to posts index

Benjamin Reichman
Re: Audio Only Dissolve - Quick Video Tutorial
on Jul 10, 2011 at 2:32:22 pm

Craig, thank you for the tutorial! Very helpful. I have to say that really is a rather convoluted design; especially because you have to create a new Storyline for the sole purpose of adding the cross-dissolve. And that would make me worried about sync, especially since FCP doesn't have out-of-sync indicators. But enough complaining--thanks for the workaround. ;)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 10, 2011 at 4:13:09 pm

I agree. It's convoluted and risky. It's not even consistent to doing Video only dissolve. It's counterintuitive. I'm honestly not sure how something like this would get past beta testers since it is a very common function. This is not Pro vs "Prosumer" because if one believes one should make things easier for the prosumer then this fails. An experienced editor might figure this our but a "prosumer" would probably give up and walk away.

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 10, 2011 at 4:33:24 pm

[Craig Seeman] ". I'm honestly not sure how something like this would get past beta testers since it is a very common function."

The Beta testers for this app should be embarrassed. If you only look at audio dissolves and not all the missing features, the Beta testers should never be allowed close to an app again.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Dan Hayes
on Jul 10, 2011 at 5:23:47 pm

Did they actually have beta testers? Has anyone come forward to relate that experience? I realize that they were under NDAs during the process, but are they still forced to keep quiet?

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 10, 2011 at 5:39:47 pm

If I was a Beta tester for FCPX, I'd never tell anybody!

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Benjamin Reichman
on Jul 10, 2011 at 5:42:10 pm

[C. Park Seward] " If I was a Beta tester for FCPX, I'd never tell anybody!"

That's funny. But don't forget that beta testers have no authority; they simply give feedback to Apple and Apple alone decides what to do. (And no, I wasn't a beta tester. ;))

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 10, 2011 at 5:40:56 pm

There were beta testers.
But there's testing for bugs and testing for usability.
It's the latter where I'm seeing problems and have concerns.
While Apple has talked about "Pro" feature support which will be coming later, I'm concerned about the lack of keyboard commands for some things and the number of steps it takes to perform common tasks.

While it may be possible to build Audio and Video only dissolves in Motion and publish them, they should have been included if these is going to reach the "Prosumer" market. Of course I'm not sure what a "prosumer" is these days since if you get paid for your work you're a professional. If you get paid for other work and editing is only a small part of your job then, of course, you want an app that makes that task simple. Audio and Video only dissolves should be simple but they're not.

Just a guess but maybe the reason why there's a PDF Manual for Motion and Compressor but not FCPX, is because they expect to make major changes and didn't want to do a complete PDF publishing job.

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:01:40 am

My friend Tony Sarafoski just showed me how you can add an audio only transition in FCPX between two audio clips if they are in a secondary storyline. Just Command-T on the conjunction of the clips and it will apply an audio transition. Maybe Tony should work for Apple!

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Michele Princigalli
on Jul 24, 2014 at 7:43:57 am

This worked perfectly for me. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]