FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X 10.4 Released.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
FCP X 10.4 Released.
on Dec 14, 2017 at 1:21:35 pm

As previewed at the Creative Summit - the new release of FCP X - `10.4 dropped today.

Does NOT require High Sierra as some had surmised.

Have fun today!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP X 10.4 Released.
on Dec 14, 2017 at 1:40:58 pm

[Bill Davis] "Does NOT require High Sierra as some had surmised."

However, in order for the new Optical Flow functions to work, this requires Metal 2, which is part of High Sierra. It's also a technology not available on older Mac Pro towers. So I wonder what results you get in those circumstances. My guess is that it just does it the same as in 10.3.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 14, 2017 at 2:31:33 pm

To clarify, if for any reason you have decided NOT to do the High Sierra update at this time, you can still update and get allthe benefit of the new color tools and even the VR and 360 tools.

Yes, some high level processes “switch on” if HS is available.

But the software will benefit all FCP X users with reasonably modern machines - not just those using the latest hardware or OS.

Hope that’s clearer.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 14, 2017 at 4:09:28 pm

Love the new CC options, just having Keyframes is nice as well!

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 16, 2017 at 12:48:17 pm

[Steve Connor] "Love the new CC options, just having Keyframes is nice as well!
"

Agreed. Interesting, however that if I am using the Color Wheels layout and add a shape mask, I cannot see that shape masker or manipulate it if I switch to curves. I would have thought you can manipulate a mask from any of the (curves/wheels/board 1) corrections. I do like the addition of the Show in Color Inspector option in the Inspector. Or has that been there all the time?

Running HS and all seems good in the testing phase....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 14, 2017 at 10:24:03 pm

[Bill Davis] "To clarify, if for any reason you have decided NOT to do the High Sierra update at this time, you can still update and get allthe benefit of the new color tools and even the VR and 360 tools."

Are you (or anyone else) using High Sierra yet Bill? If so, does 360 video from YouTube work in Safari yet?

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/dlawrence
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: FCP X 10.4 Released. - Who's using High Sierra?
on Dec 14, 2017 at 11:28:31 pm

UPDATE - My 360 people on Facebook say it does.

Yay! Finally. So sick of switching to Chrome to watch YouTube 360 stuff.

Now just gotta get some time to do the upgrade. Hopefully by the time I have time the bugs will be settled.

Who's using High Sierra in a production environment? How's it working for you?

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/dlawrence
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 14, 2017 at 11:53:05 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Dec 14, 2017 at 11:54:02 pm

[David Lawrence] "Who's using High Sierra in a production environment? How's it working for you?"

I’m on deadline with a mass of year end corporate work so I had to stick with Sierra til after delivery out of an abundance of caution.

But I was on Richard Taylor’s live Facebook meeting earlier with Steve Martin and Mark Spencer and Mark said he’s had no issues at all with High Sierra and FCP X.

It appears they did a solid QC pass before the release.

Of course now that it’s in the wild, I’m sure edge cases will appear. That’s kinda inevitable.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 15, 2017 at 1:55:18 pm

[David Lawrence] "Who's using High Sierra in a production environment? How's it working for you?"

I just updated it on my two home machines, which I use intermittently for post. The MBP is fine - no issues, yet. The older MP tower was also fine. But, since that hardware does not enable Metal 2, I've found at least one app (Pixelmator Pro) which won't install on it.

My main freelance site is running 7 edit stations (mix of old/new MPs and iMacs) on a 10GigE NAS. These are all on Sierra. Holding off for now on going to HS on these. However, we are contemplating getting one or more of the iMac Pros, which most likely will come with HS pre-installed. If those are fine in our system, then I'll bump up the other machines, because the older MPs will be retired.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 15, 2017 at 1:37:09 pm

[Oliver Peters] "However, in order for the new Optical Flow functions to work, this requires Metal 2,"

Does this mean Optical Flow won't work at all unless you have High Sierra? What are the "new" Optical Flow functions?

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 14, 2017 at 1:43:14 pm

hmmm. not seeing it on App store

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 14, 2017 at 1:46:56 pm

Go to updates.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 14, 2017 at 2:23:14 pm

Funny. Motion upgrade is there but not FCPX.

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Dec 14, 2017 at 4:29:34 pm
Last Edited By Michael Hancock on Dec 14, 2017 at 4:34:37 pm

Might have found a bug in the new color tools. Add the new Custom LUT effect, load a LUT. Add the new Color Wheels and make some adjustments. Make sure they're both turned on in the effect panel, then copy and paste them to a new clip and the Color Wheels effect is turned off on the new clip. Can anybody else replicate?

Otherwise, these new tools are great so far.

EDIT: Looks like copy/pasting just the color wheels alone defaults to the effect being turned off. Weird.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 14, 2017 at 7:35:11 pm

FWIW my custom color board presets still work in 10.4. It takes a bit for X to refresh, but these become color effects and now are displayed with thumbnails and a preview of the effect. Free and downloadable at the link below.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2013/03/30/fcp-x-color-board-presets/

Oliver

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Dec 14, 2017 at 8:11:37 pm

Any thing in the update that we didn’t know about already?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2017 at 8:28:18 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Any thing in the update that we didn’t know about already?"

They added a "clients with huge budgets" button.

It's an amazing new paradigm.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 14, 2017 at 9:17:13 pm

I dunno.

One can spend $5-6k on a DSLR with a few lenses without breaking a sweat.

Or on a half way decent basic field sound and lighting package.

A whole super fast turnkey editing editing computer in that same range doesn’t seem all that excessive to me.

Be interesting to see how the base level machines perform for media creation. Not everyone needs 8k or VR stuff right now. But a LOT of operations need to crank out media for the web. And can easily justify one of these, I suspect.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 14, 2017 at 10:43:49 pm

[Bill Davis] "One can spend $5-6k on a DSLR with a few lenses without breaking a sweat. "

But would you spend the same amount on a 'sealed-box' point and shoot that had a non-removable lens, non-removable battery, and non-removable storage?

The price by itself isn't objectionable. The computer by itself isn't objectionable. That price for that computer is what some people find objectionable. Put it in an upgradeable, Mac Pro-type body and everyone will love it. Drop the price down to high-end iMac levels (as opposed to mid-range Mac Pro levels) and everyone will love it. Making a first of a kind 'tweener product that contains the worst of both worlds (MP price with an iMac's sealed body) while also developing a new and improved Mac Pro that will probably be out in the next 12-18 months is an odd play for Apple.

[Bill Davis] "Not everyone needs 8k or VR stuff right now. But a LOT of operations need to crank out media for the web. And can easily justify one of these, I suspect."

Which I think is part of the conundrum some people find themselves in. They don't need 8K today though they might need it a few years from now, but since the iMac Pro is an expensive sealed box they have to gamble money today on what they think you'll need down the road. They also don't know what the update cycle is going to be on the iMac Pro so 'waiting to see what happens' might end up meaning they'll have to pay full price for a machine that's using years old tech (a problem the 2013 MP ran into). Speaking of the Mac Pros they also don't know the specs, release date or price of the next Mac Pro which results in a lot of unknowns surrounding a starting sticker price of $4999.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 14, 2017 at 11:37:29 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "But would you spend the same amount on a 'sealed-box' point and shoot that had a non-removable lens, non-removable battery, and non-removable storage?"

Absolutely, if within that package, it did what I needed it to do and I could charge it out to my clients.

But that's not a particularly good analogy

[Andrew Kimery] "They don't need 8K today though they might need it a few years from now, but since the iMac Pro is an expensive sealed box they have to gamble money today on what they think you'll need down the road."

Or they will figure that even at the higher price the iMac Pro will pay for itself within 18 months and then they can look again at what's available at the time.

Going back to your camera analogy, why would anyone invest in a 4K Camera today that you can't upgrade to 8K down the line? Because you get your ROI on it and then you move on.

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 15, 2017 at 12:33:29 am

[Steve Connor] "But that's not a particularly good analogy"

Are any analogies in here particularly good analogies? Anyway, talk to Bill, he started it. 😉

All other things being equal I'd rather invest $7200 (the cost of the iMac Pro I'd get if I was going to get one) in a hardware system that had a longer useable life span, lower overall cost of ownership and flexibility to adapt to my future needs. Hypothetically I could spend $7200 now and another $7200 in 3-4 yrs for a whole new Mac vs spending $7200 now and maybe $2500-$3500 over the next 5-6 years on upgrades. I've always been more comfortable with getting a modest/mid-line machine and upgrading along the way (since computing power just gets faster and cheaper as time goes on) as opposed to paying more upfront for machine that's initially overkill for my needs in hopes that I'll grow to need its capabilities down the line. Just different ways to skin the cat.

[Steve Connor] "Going back to your camera analogy, why would anyone invest in a 4K Camera today that you can't upgrade to 8K down the line? Because you get your ROI on it and then you move on."

Didn't Jannard start RED in part because he thought building modular and upgradeable camera systems was a superior approach? ;)

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Dec 15, 2017 at 11:26:01 pm

I haven't tested it yet, but this line in the Motion 5.4 release notes caught my eye:
  • Easily convert between a Motion project, Final Cut Pro generator, Final Cut Pro title, Final Cut Pro effect, or Final Cut Pro transition at any time
  • That's a really useful option I've been wanting since the beginning. In reality, I won't use it that much, but having the option is great and one I'm glad to see in the program.

Return to posts index

James Cude
    on Dec 14, 2017 at 10:28:42 pm
    Last Edited By James Cude on Dec 14, 2017 at 10:36:20 pm

by Michael Hancock
    on Dec 14, 2017 at 8:29:34 am
    Last Edited By Michael Hancock on Dec 14, 2017 at 8:34:37 am

Might have found a bug in the new color tools. Add the new Custom LUT effect, load a LUT. Add the new Color Wheels and make some adjustments. Make sure they're both turned on in the effect panel, then copy and paste them to a new clip and the Color Wheels effect is turned off on the new clip. Can anybody else replicate?

Otherwise, these new tools are great so far.

EDIT: Looks like copy/pasting just the color wheels alone defaults to the effect being turned off. Weird.

----------------
    Michael Hancock
    Editor

Hmm, I’m not seeing that. Does it still happen after trashing preferences?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
    on Dec 14, 2017 at 10:44:03 pm

Some other issues. The same stupid little UI issues that have been there for a while are still there. For example, sometimes you highlight a file name in the browser and the name field becomes blank. Then, if you fiddle with it a bit, the name comes back. This now seems to also affect the scopes, with numbers on the scale sometimes disappearing and then coming back.

I'm playing with HDR a bit. First of all, you won't actually see proper HDR, unless you send HDR video out through a third party IO device to a true HDR broadcast monitor. And NO, the iMac Pro screen is NOT HDR. FCPX effectively goes into a mode where the viewer image is dimmed, as well as the AV output, so that you can do HDR work with non-HDR monitors. Unfortunately this was not carried through to filmstrips and thumbnails. Those appear blown out when working in wide gamut modes.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
    on Dec 14, 2017 at 11:29:40 pm

Also a new Pro Codec update just came down.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
    on Dec 15, 2017 at 1:49:08 pm

FWIW - In case it's not obvious, HEVC encoding support does require that you update macOS to 10.13 (High Sierra).

- Oliver

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
    on Dec 16, 2017 at 1:19:22 am

Adding an iZotope Ozone or RX plugin makes FCPX 10.4 quit.

James

Return to posts index

Lutz Leonhardt
    on Dec 16, 2017 at 10:11:18 am

Ozone: that's right. It happens on my system, too.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
    on Dec 17, 2017 at 1:49:14 pm
    Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Dec 17, 2017 at 1:50:32 pm

So what are the thoughts here about the new 360 and wide gamut features? Good? Bad? Meh?

And with the new color tools, would you ever see the need to buy one of the third party color correction plug-ins?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
    on Dec 17, 2017 at 9:38:35 pm

I’m actually kinda shocked at how many people in the other X groups are asking questions about the 360 stuff. Threads on equirectangular Video, “small planet” mapping, etc popping up as users explore the new tools. Tim D even very casually weighed in earlier to provide some guidance. (The web is so cool that way - providing exceptional access to expertise sometimes!)

As to the color stuff - the communities seem positively delighted with the new capabilities.

Haven’t seen any real grousing about what or how Apple approached this.

Serious full-time colorists likely still find plenty of things missing that they might want. But overall the new tools appear to have earned a lot of initial fans who are quite excited to dive into them.

That’s my reading from the past few days.

The only significant Apple grousing currently appears to be from those that feel $5,000 for the iMacPro is too much - apparently feeling that Apple needs to compete with PC solutions more on price. Oddly, there’s quite a bit of push back saying PC builds with the same performance and build specs - particularly with an equivalent monitoring solution, isn’t that far off base.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere - I actually think the less discussed HDR and Rec2020 stuff might have more “punch” in the long run, cuz before Long - that might have the biggest effect on the “look” of modern video - and not having it in place might end up making your work appear “old fashioned” in a few years.

Interesting week.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]