FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac Pro 12/14

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Oliver Peters
Re: iMac Pro 12/14
on Dec 12, 2017 at 3:43:32 pm

Super! Just in time for end-of-year budgeting considerations.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:32:32 pm

Interesting marketing strategy by Apple, to send it out to these two guys and have them generate short videos. I am close to buying a new iMac, but don't foresee needing to edit 8k or Red Raw in the next few years, so I will probably just load up a new iMac.

I have followed the Hack-Intosh arguments recently, but for the not so vast unwashed masses, the iMacPro will probably meet the requirements of many editors.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:04:03 pm

Pricing helps realize that the HP z8 series isn't over-priced. And I'll opt for the better expandability over the 5K monitor.

But yes, for FCX, it seems to be a good machine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:22:54 pm

Saw one running fcpx the other day. It was very rapid.

Like the look of them but with the insistence that a Mac Pro update is coming, I can’t decide whether to go for the iMac pro or wait...

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:28:03 pm

[Tom Sefton] "I can’t decide whether to go for the iMac pro or wait..."

You mean that you haven't gone running out to buy your Surface Studio?
:/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:47:24 pm

No. It’s almost the same price as the base spec iMac pro in the UK. So no.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:51:31 pm

Vincent LaForet's review was with the blown out version. OF course it was fast. Will the $4999 model work this well ?
Probably not

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 12, 2017 at 6:55:10 pm

Also this from TGC.

http://postperspective.com/first-impressions-apples-new-imac-pro/

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 12, 2017 at 7:13:55 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Also this from TGC.

http://postperspective.com/first-impressions-apples-new-imac-pro/
"

Sounds promising :)

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 12, 2017 at 7:35:28 pm

once again - he mentions that it's $4999. His configuration is NOT $4999 - it's much more expensive

bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 12, 2017 at 7:50:23 pm

Yes as a Mac user I KNOW the iMac Pro will be more expensive, probably offer less bang per buck than other systems, not be upgradeable, hasn't got a touch screen etc etc etc. But honestly I really don't care. Mac's have served me well for my last 10 years of editing and this iMac Pro and the potential for a new Mac Pro have got me excited again, just as FCPX re-invigourated my interest in editing.

Can't wait to get one :)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 12, 2017 at 11:22:08 pm

This is the thing for me.

For the first 15 years I worked in desktop video production, if you didn’t get the machine specs (processor, buss, drive speed, etc, etc) “just right” your workflow was rife with problems.

For the past five years (after I realized how fluidly my laptop could work with X on my most commonly used formats and raster densities) I started thinking VERY differently.

“Off the shelf” Apple hardware - started crushing it for me in ways that my “bespoke” earlier systems just couldn’t.

I’m sure that’s true of “off the shelf” Dells or Acers running PPro as well.

Face it. The computer hardware industry has cracked the video processing nut in general purpose terms.

You can argue that there’s still a lot to discuss at the edge-case high-end where many of us live. But video editing is today - where spreadsheet calculating was in the 1990s. Something EXPECTED at every level of machine - full stop.

It addresses the issue of how far and how fast can I go - without needing to build my own machine from scratch.

In another thread elsewhere, it was noted that if if just half the 2 million active App developers feel they want to optimize their hardware for more speed and efficiency - this machine could see HUGE sales for just that alone.

It wasn’t that long ago that the idea of high performance computing on a laptop or “all in one” machine was a silly thought.

Now it’s not. Thats all.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Carmi Weinzweig
on Dec 14, 2017 at 5:02:33 pm

[Bob Zelin] "once again - he mentions that it's $4999. His configuration is NOT $4999 - it's much more expensive
"

The CPU upgrade in his machine costs $800 and the GPU upgrade is $600. Those are the two that would have the most impact on performance. For an extra $800 one could also upgrade the RAM to 64GB. Moving to 128GB of RAM is quite pricey ($2,400 over the base).

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 14, 2017 at 5:33:26 pm

[Carmi Weinzweig] "The CPU upgrade in his machine costs $800 and the GPU upgrade is $600. Those are the two that would have the most impact on performance. For an extra $800 one could also upgrade the RAM to 64GB. Moving to 128GB of RAM is quite pricey ($2,400 over the base).
"

Not Bob's point though. The price of $4999 kept getting batted around, but the machines being advertised were significantly more expensive than that. We'll have to wait to see how the $5000 base version and the $7200 'sweet spot' version (10 core, 64gig RAM, upgraded GPU) compare to the $10,000 version that all the early reviews seem to be based on.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 12, 2017 at 8:15:49 pm

I think processor wise he was in the middle. Ram and GPU were the upgrades.

The Ram upgrade to 128GB will probably be $1800 over the base spec. Not sure about the GPU.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 12, 2017 at 8:23:39 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Vincent LaForet's review was with the blown out version"

Well sort of. It has all the RAM, GPU and SSD upgrades, but only the 8 to 10-core bump-up. That's likely the top end that Apple currently has in decent supply. If you check, this same configuration has been sent to all the reviewers on these various sites. The interesting part is no mention of price. Obviously Apple wants to leave that reveals to the launch date.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 12, 2017 at 8:59:35 pm

I’m still really intrigued to know what money you need to spend elsewhere to get real-time playback on full quality 5K Red raw footage with a single colour correction layer. And playback on a 5K monitor.

The last article I saw that came close was one that looked at post for a josh hartnett film with 6K red dragon footage at full res in premier, but the dell machines they used for that looked hugely expensive.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 13, 2017 at 2:19:51 pm

[Tom Sefton] "m still really intrigued to know what money you need to spend elsewhere to get real-time playback on full quality 5K Red raw footage with a single colour correction layer. And playback on a 5K monitor."

For the last two weeks I was doing it with 6K WS HELIUM for a full feature.
The workstation was a beast. An HP Z840 w/32GB RAM and K5000 card.
It was paired with a nMP D700 w/64GB RAM and that actually worked in Resolve timelines easily (as well as Avid the host NLE).
But all that was using HD playback (Flanders, OSEE and Eizo CG247X).
I have an LG 4K to work with but to date I cant really see the advantage (other than 1:1 viewing) using a small 4K display.
I find it best to use something over 65" for that kind of viewing.
That HP was a ton of money that I would have thrown at the new iMac.

Crossing fingers a client brings one for me to play with :)

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 13, 2017 at 2:36:37 pm

That's cool. It looks as though the iMac Pro is going to be a good benchmark for price and performance then, because without a 5K display for a HP or Dell workstation the comparison isn't equal.

All things considered, I want an iMac pro, but.....if there is a new Mac Pro line coming; will that be faster, modular, be paired with a new apple display....?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 14, 2017 at 8:39:12 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Dec 14, 2017 at 8:40:28 pm

[Tom Sefton] "I’m still really intrigued to know what money you need to spend elsewhere to get real-time playback on full quality 5K Red raw footage with a single colour correction layer. And playback on a 5K monitor."

Just came across this video, and I thought of your question. Tom Antos on a $3k custom build. He talks about editing 6k Dragon footage at about 7:55.

Shawn

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Dec 15, 2017 at 1:10:18 am

[Tom Sefton] "I’m still really intrigued to know what money you need to spend elsewhere to get real-time playback on full quality 5K Red raw footage with a single colour correction layer. And playback on a 5K monitor."

The system below has a 10 Core CPU, 32 GB of RAM and GTX 1080 Ti. Keep in mind the system below can have more RAM added as well as a Volta GPU. I don't doubt this system will keep up with an $8,000.00 iMac Pro minus the the 5K monitor.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227762

Why make 5K the standard? Why not 8K? Why not have a 21:9 ultra-wide option? I don't doubt an $8500.00 PC could play back 8K at full resolution. Perhaps the $8500.00 iMac Pro can as well.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227762

I am not saying the iMac Pro isn't any good or that it will not work well with FCPX. I am saying there are some powerful PC that can easily hold there own against the iMac Pro. Having said that why didn't the iMacs offer 8 & 10 core CPUs 5 years ago? If anyone cliams it is because the Mac Pro offered 8 & 10 core CPUs you would have to ask yourself is there really a Mac Pro coming in 2018? If an up-gradable Mac Pro is coming in 2018 is that the justification to make the iMac Pro a closed system? Why can't all the Apple computers be up-gradable?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 12, 2017 at 10:20:37 pm

I'm really interested in this machine, especially for work on the road. I wonder if I can run Windows on it...

Going up to 4TB of internal storage is a big deal. The 1 TB ceiling (internal storage) on our nMPs is a constant source of frustration for me.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Dec 12, 2017 at 11:01:06 pm

I want! But I just got a maxed out IMac last year and it still over exceeds my needs currently and for the foreseeable future. I’ll probaly end up waiting for the second or third refresh. Thing is sexy tho

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 12, 2017 at 11:15:59 pm

[Neil Goodman] "I want! But I just got a maxed out IMac last year and it still over exceeds my needs currently and for the foreseeable future. I’ll probaly end up waiting for the second or third refresh. Thing is sexy tho"

I did the same thing. But I do want it....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 13, 2017 at 12:56:43 pm

And if you are considering a purchase....

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/12/apple-mac-trade-in-now-up-to-2500/

Oliver

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 13, 2017 at 4:14:36 pm

[Oliver Peters] "And if you are considering a purchase...."

And for those who want to Hackintosh an equivalent iMac Pro, it’ll cost ya!:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/200477

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Dec 13, 2017 at 5:32:52 pm

Can FCPX 10.4 be far behind the release of the iMac Pro?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 13, 2017 at 6:15:39 pm

That article is 6 months old and the build choices were not very smart - for instance there would be no reason to choose a SSD instead of an M.2 drive - you can get the Samsung EVO 960 M.2 for under $200 and it will give you the same drive speed the iMac is getting probably because it's the same thing inside the Apple?

Also the 5K monitor on the iMac isn't really 5K - the same monitor on the current 2017 iMac runs native and QHD not 5K! In fact you can't even crank it to 4K!

But who cares - I still want an iMac Pro!

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Dec 13, 2017 at 8:28:39 pm

I'm running my current iMac Retina 5K at
11964_screenshot20171213at3.24.55pm.png.zip

5120x2880

Is that not 5K?

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

17" MacBook Pro | 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 3 | FCPX | Motion 5 | Compressor 4

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 14, 2017 at 5:35:27 am

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-tapered-edge-faq/how-...

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Carmi Weinzweig
on Dec 14, 2017 at 4:36:12 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "That article is 6 months old and the build choices were not very smart - for instance there would be no reason to choose a SSD instead of an M.2 drive - you can get the Samsung EVO 960 M.2 for under $200 and it will give you the same drive speed the iMac is getting probably because it's the same thing inside the Apple?"

Really? I cannot find the 1TB EVO 960 Pro for less than $619, a bit more than $200.

I also cannot find anyone who makes a 4TB NVMe M.2 drive (or for that matter a 4TB EVO Pro version in any form factor).

I think the sweet spot for the iMac is 64GB, 10-Core, 2TB system, 16GB Vega 64 for $7,999.99, but I am not sure if the extra 1TB of SSD is worth it. I expect to use it with a 10Gb/s NAS with 48TB of RAID-Z2 storage, so 1TB might be enough.

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Dec 15, 2017 at 12:42:41 am

[Carmi Weinzweig] "I also cannot find anyone who makes a 4TB NVMe M.2 drive (or for that matter a 4TB EVO Pro version in any form factor)."

How about this from a B&H page:" The ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 PCIe Expansion Card lets you add four user-supplied NVMe M.2 drives to your desktop computer. .. The PCIe 3.0 x16 slot transfers data at rates of up to 128 Gb/s, which is 22x times faster than SATA 3.0". We are looking at an 8 TB M.2 drive array.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 13, 2017 at 6:54:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "And for those who want to Hackintosh an equivalent iMac Pro, it’ll cost ya!:"

And the price similarity wouldn't be worth the hassle of installing and maintaining that OS. BUT... a similarly spec'd HP z6 (to the one in the article) costs just a tad more than the baseline price listed, and you KNOW the one they tested doesn't run $5000. That, and the ability to swap out processors (to updated ones), swap out GPU, add cards for more ports, add many internal hard drives...makes switching to windows pretty enticing.

Unless you use FCX. Then you are beholden.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 13, 2017 at 6:59:27 pm

Take away $$$ from the HP for not having an integrated 5K display- that's not free.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 13, 2017 at 7:18:10 pm

The monitor isn't 5K...as was pointed out. And I already have monitors, and if I want new ones, I can get new ones. And if I want to swap them out, I can.

WHAT in this iMac can you swap out? Anything? Hearing rumors even the RAM is no longer something we can upgrade manually...it all has to come pre-packaged.

Sorry, I've been a mac fan and mac user for 30 years, and when the MacPro tube came out...my confidence in Apple was shaken. iTunes fiasco making it worse, the FCX bomb (IMHO...mainly how it handled the transition and announcement)...it's just going downhill.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 13, 2017 at 8:54:28 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Dec 13, 2017 at 8:58:05 pm

[Shane Ross] "Sorry, I've been a mac fan and mac user for 30 years, and when the MacPro tube came out...my confidence in Apple was shaken. iTunes fiasco making it worse, the FCX bomb (IMHO...mainly how it handled the transition and announcement)...it's just going downhill.
"

Then I PRAY it continues to "go downhill"like this!

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through my big end of the year production agenda and I've been comfortably multiple days early with every deliverable so far this cycle.

In fact, this past weekend around my work I managed to watch all six movies in the entire Dragon Tattoo trilogy (subtitled foreign language version) on Netflix while waiting for client notes - because I kept getting my edits and review uploads done so rapidly!)

These are generally 2-to3 minute corporate end of the year recaps, 1920x1080 each with an average of 350 or so edits* - weighing in at about 4.5Gigs as an H-264 export. (*timeline index count)

So not super huge, but not trivial. And probably a pretty typical corporate deliverable these days.

My MacBook Pro isn't breaking a sweat.

THIS is how editing work is supposed to work, in my book.

Smooth, dependable, easy.

What you see as "continuing to go downhill" - I still see as... "burn down the old building, so you can build a super high efficiency new one that will make things way easier every day of your career, from this point on."

Superb trade in my book!

It metaphorically reminds me a bit of my just arrived two weeks ago, iPhone X.

Out of the box, it actually seemed maybe a bit simple and kinda SMALL - (it replaced my 7plus.)

Now, I can see the point.

But ONLY after a few days to get used to the missing home button - and after I sucked it up and learned the necessary a small passel of new operational commands - and after I had to learn how hold it the proper distance and elevation so that the facial recognition accuracy soared up and up to where it is now - and only after all that, did my understanding of the rest kick in. Now I'm noticing the pure speed of the thing.. How fast iOS runs. How beautiful things look.

And I'm coming to expect the new reality.

Its a matter of setting NEW expectations about what is the best way to do things. Not just mentally comparing what I'm already comfortable with - against something that annoyed me to have to re-set in my thinking.

It's an interesting evolution.

To me, what you describe as a "downhill slide" feels more like trip back to Aspen.

To each their own. 😊

My 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 13, 2017 at 9:08:27 pm

I can understand how some would think that it's going downhill.
I mean, we got used to all the (almost) yearly refresh back in the cheese grate days.
I just schedule my budgeting to Apple's releases ;)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 14, 2017 at 12:17:03 am

Yes Bill...we get it. Apple is "Mary Poppins" to you...Practically perfect in every way. Can do no wrong, at all, about anything, ever. Everything they do fits PERFECTLY in your world, so therefor everyone elses needs don't matter, and everyone else is wrong, and living in the stone age. Headphone jacks are for Neanderthals...machines that allow the end user to upgrade or add ANYTHING to it are antiques.

Apple walks on water...

Got it.

(Why do I even bother responding here?)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 14, 2017 at 12:49:15 am

[Shane Ross] "Yes Bill...we get it. Apple is "Mary Poppins" to you...Practically perfect in every way. "

Dude, chill out.

Yes, X works incredibly well for me. So I say so.

I say so specifically - and I say why. It’s getting the work I need to do most often - done much faster than ever for me.

Yes, you feel emotionally betrayed by Apple and feel they are not meeting your needs as an editor and should do something different and YOU say so here. Regularly.

We are two different types of editors. Working in different parts of the industry. With different goals. Different skill sets. Different preferences.

If editors reading here need to get work done like mine - than my “in the seat” experience is valid for them.

If other editors do work more like you (and especially if they still feel “abandoned by Apple like you appear to) then your posting about THAT gives them the benefit of your opinions and commiseration on that stuff.

Nothing wrong with a spectrum of opinions, is there?

Happy Holidays regardless.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 13, 2017 at 11:01:59 pm

[Shane Ross] "Sorry, I've been a mac fan and mac user for 30 years, and when the MacPro tube came out...my confidence in Apple was shaken. iTunes fiasco making it worse, the FCX bomb (IMHO...mainly how it handled the transition and announcement)...it's just going downhill.
"

For you perhaps, for many other people definitely not, would not switch to PC and Windows if you paid me, I love living in my Apple walled garden :)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 13, 2017 at 11:08:08 pm

Another review. One of the more practical ones as it relates to editing.

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/exclusive-hands-on-with-the-1st-of-the-new...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 13, 2017 at 11:52:30 pm

Sorry, just explain that one. How isn’t the monitor 5K? I thought it shipped with a resolution of 5120x2880?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 14, 2017 at 2:10:06 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Dec 14, 2017 at 2:15:09 pm

Buy pages are live.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro

PS: So the review configuration that all of the reviewers and vloggers tested is about $10K (pad + mouse is extra).

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Carmi Weinzweig
on Dec 14, 2017 at 5:07:34 pm

[Shane Ross] "The monitor isn't 5K...as was pointed out. And I already have monitors, and if I want new ones, I can get new ones. And if I want to swap them out, I can."

What P3 5K monitors do you have?

You have stated that the monitor is not 5k. According to the specs on the machine, the display resolution is 5120x2880, how is that not 5K?

Return to posts index

Carmi Weinzweig
on Dec 14, 2017 at 4:53:45 pm

[Shane Ross] "That, and the ability to swap out processors (to updated ones), swap out GPU, add cards for more ports, add many internal hard drives...makes switching to windows pretty enticing.
"

I have built many machines over the years, and I have never upgraded the CPU after the machine was built (as any meaningful CPU upgrade also requires a new motherboard). I have on occasion upgraded the RAM, but even that has been rare. You also do not consider that those other machines will be much louder than the iMac Pro. I would much rather have a quieter machine connected via 10Gb Ethernet to a server with more disk space, rather than have that all in my work space.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 14, 2017 at 5:36:28 pm

[Carmi Weinzweig] "I have built many machines over the years, and I have never upgraded the CPU after the machine was built (as any meaningful CPU upgrade also requires a new motherboard)."

I have - going from 2.2Ghz processors to 3.0Ghz can breathe new life into an older machine, and it can be less expensive than upgrading to newer architectures, allowing you to leapfrog technology generations. I fully understand that approach may not be for everyone though.

[Carmi Weinzweig] "You also do not consider that those other machines will be much louder than the iMac Pro."

I have a water cooled, dual 10 core workstation with acoustic treatment in the case - even after an hour or so under full CPU load, I can't hear it. The fans in my laptops are louder during encoding tasks... just sayin'. ☺

Shawn

Return to posts index

Carmi Weinzweig
on Dec 14, 2017 at 6:17:01 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I have a water cooled, dual 10 core workstation with acoustic treatment in the case - even after an hour or so under full CPU load, I can't hear it. The fans in my laptops are louder during encoding tasks... just sayin'. ☺"

Nice. ☺

How much did it cost? How many drives do you have in the case? I built a FreeBSD/FreeNAS box for a friend as a Plex server with many giant, slow-speed fans and it is quite quiet (sits in the the living room), but does not have any GPUs.

My experience is that I build machines because I want a specific set of components, but they rarely come out less expensive than a similar machine from HP or Dell. I do not upgrade CPUs, because the risk of frying the machine doing so is not worth the speed increase to me. :-)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 14, 2017 at 8:10:50 pm

[Carmi Weinzweig] "How much did it cost?"

About $7k US from there guys:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/

3 year on-site support included

[Carmi Weinzweig] " How many drives do you have in the case?"

Four drives: 1 250GB SSD system drive, 1 250GB SSD cache drive, 2 2TB 7200 RPM drive in a RAID 0 config for media.

[Carmi Weinzweig] "
My experience is that I build machines because I want a specific set of components, but they rarely come out less expensive than a similar machine from HP or Dell."

That makes sense - PC integrators buy parts wholesale but add the cost of production, support, shipping, marketing etc. Though, you can build kit computers from companies like Supermicro at a slightly lower expense than shopping parts retail or buying from HP, Dell etc.

[Carmi Weinzweig] ". I do not upgrade CPUs, because the risk of frying the machine doing so is not worth the speed increase to me. :-)"

I haven't fried a motherboard or damaged a computer from upgrading yet... but can understand why others might not want the stress. ☺

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: iMac Pro 12/14 - B&H Price
on Dec 14, 2017 at 6:18:44 pm

Well contrary to my panic (I always panic and try to create hysteria) - B&H is showing the iMac Pro with
the Vega 64 GPU, 64 gig of RAM, and the 1TB SSD for $6399. That's actually a pretty good price if you consider you are getting the 10G card and the monitor. (And yes, I know that when things become obsolete 3 years from now, you can't open it up and change parts out).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 14, 2017 at 6:28:42 pm

[Bob Zelin] "That's actually a pretty good price if you consider you are getting the 10G card and the monitor. (And yes, I know that when things become obsolete 3 years from now, you can't open it up and change parts out).
"

That's less than $200 per month to own something you can charge out at considerably more than that AND it'll still be worth something after three years when you buy the 2021 iMac Pro with 16K screen!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 15, 2017 at 1:42:50 pm

One interesting tidbit is that a Logic Pro X update came down last night. In its notes is a comment that it adds support for up to 36 cores on the iMac Pro. Typo or sign of things to come. Hmm...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Dec 15, 2017 at 4:03:18 pm

[Oliver Peters] "One interesting tidbit is that a Logic Pro X update came down last night. In its notes is a comment that it adds support for up to 36 cores on the iMac Pro. Typo or sign of things to come. Hmm..."

This is just a reference to the 18 core iMac Pro. Xeon W supports Hyper Threading, so each physical core shows up as two 'logical' cores.

--
Digital Workflow, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 16, 2017 at 1:29:59 pm

[Chris Kenny] "This is just a reference to the 18 core iMac Pro. Xeon W supports Hyper Threading, so each physical core shows up as two 'logical' cores."

Ah, yes. That makes sense.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Dec 17, 2017 at 6:22:36 am

Bob, I remember a note from you when we did an install with you in Denmark: "When it beeps, don't panic" (-: Glad to see that the hysteria is over now the cards are on the table, and I agree that the iMac Pro is priced very reasonably. I had the opportunity to work with the 10-core/Vega 64/64GB RAM, which I think is the sweet spot for heavy-duty editing. It's a wonderful machine.

As to upgrading old computers: I have never found this good business. In the days that I ran two post houses we always completely renewed our Mac machine park every 2 or 3 years. We bought the best Macs we could get, they paid for themselves after 6 months, we made decent profits out of them for another 2 years, then we sold them at a good price to professionals, companies and schools with less demanding workflows than ours and we bought the newest ones. Given the high value of second-hand Macs, it was a win-win for all parties involved. I think this is still valid today.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Carmi Weinzweig
on Dec 17, 2017 at 7:33:11 am

[Ronny Courtens] "As to upgrading old computers: I have never found this good business. In the days that I ran two post houses we always completely renewed our Mac machine park every 2 or 3 years."

We usually keep until 2.5 years, then sell while AppleCare is still active. Always got us a higher price (as they knew the machine really worked).

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 17, 2017 at 11:14:48 am

[Ronny Courtens] "As to upgrading old computers: I have never found this good business. In the days that I ran two post houses we always completely renewed our Mac machine park every 2 or 3 years. We bought the best Macs we could get, they paid for themselves after 6 months, we made decent profits out of them for another 2 years, then we sold them at a good price to professionals, companies and schools with less demanding workflows than ours and we bought the newest ones. Given the high value of second-hand Macs, it was a win-win for all parties involved. I think this is still valid today.
"

It certainly is, I know facilities that do just this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]