FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which niche is which?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Which niche is which?
on Oct 28, 2017 at 1:44:42 am
Last Edited By Andrew Kimery on Oct 28, 2017 at 1:54:48 am

On a somewhat regular basis the discussion turns to niche users, niche workflows and/or niche features. Usually it comes out as Hollywood films being a insignificant (if high profile) niche workflow compared to the rest of the video post/production universe, but isn't that really just comparing one niche against all the other niches combined?

Instead of Hollywood movies vs the world, wouldn't a more accurate comparison be Hollywood movies vs vloggers vs news vs wedding vs reality TV vs commercials vs trailers vs corporate vs instructional (think DIY videos) vs game shows vs no-budget indie filmmakers vs documentaries vs music videos vs event coverage, vs YouTubers (which itself is an exceptionally vague term that covers everything from streamers to multi-million dollar, episodic shows) vs 360 vs social vs someone that stumbles through the NLE once a month because they are the 'video person' at the office vs sporting events vs a bunch of other things I can't think of off the top of my head right now?

If there is a dominant/normal video post/production workflow what is it and what percentage of people use that workflow? I think there are certainly bigger niches and smaller niches, but as old barriers to continue to fall and video literacy continues to rise I think this will be an increasingly fractured field where niches dominate but there's no dominant niche.

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Which niche is which?
on Oct 28, 2017 at 5:35:58 am

This forum has proven that there's a wide variety of workflows and they all seem to work just fine according to those that post here.

I'd agree with your overall assessment that the business is a variety of niche areas but I think I'd make an exception for films and tv. The film and tv industry is not just large but also influential. I've found that the television production workflow seems to prevail at many post facilities.

And my definition of a tv production workflow is one where all interviews are transcribed and through use of those transcripts the a-roll is built, then music, b-roll and SFX and VFX added.

I spent years working in television and so I'm influenced by that background. So I'm sure that there's plenty of editors who have no need or interest in the tv model workflow.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 28, 2017 at 7:12:09 am

My seat mate on my flight to San Jose was a 40 something video producer who works the rapidly emerging Drone Racing Circuit.

40-50 cameras (of all types) covering the race course.

Sports?
Sorta?
Kinda?

But nothing like what I grew up thinking of as a "sports show" tho.

And so it goes.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 28, 2017 at 5:29:58 pm

I think segmentation really centers around workflow, not the specific end product. You might have 5 different niches, but they all essentially follow the same workflow steps.

For example, the post process on a dramatic/narrative TV show, feature film, branded web/OTT program, or moderate to high-end commercial, all tend to follow the same steps. The scale may be different, but there's usually the same process: "offline"/creative editing, VFX-GFX, "online"/finishing, audio post, and various deliverables.

A multicam entertainment show (sports, music, talk) mostly follows the same workflow regardless of the target. And that segments' workflow often is largely different than film/TV/commercial/etc.

Plus there are many more, like news, documentary, animation, etc.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 6, 2017 at 5:02:44 pm

[Bill Davis] "40-50 cameras (of all types) covering the race course.

Sports?
Sorta?
Kinda?

But nothing like what I grew up thinking of as a "sports show" tho."

Was the producer cutting a show/segment about drone racing or an actual race? I've only seen a little bit of drone racing, but it seems like auto racing and/or air racing could provide established workflow templates to build upon.

[Oliver Peters] ""offline"/creative editing, VFX-GFX, "online"/finishing, audio post, and various deliverables."

If we get macro enough the workflow is the same for everything though. 😉 The devil is in the details and that's what separates 'Can this tool do this job?' from 'What is an adequate tool for this job?' from 'What is the best tool for the job?'.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]