Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: OT: Adobe CC 2018
on Oct 18, 2017 at 3:31:17 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Probably best to wait a bit....."

I would do normally, but I've just finished a 2 week job with the last version and I won't need it again for a while as I'm reverting to my preferred NLE! Gives me some time to see what other features they've adopted 'inspired by" FCPX ;)

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 18, 2017 at 3:50:52 pm

OK so far here. Biggest change is multiple open projects. This changes the behavior of open & close projects commands. So be careful.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 18, 2017 at 3:53:07 pm

FYI - a quick overview from a few weeks ago, before I had my hands on it.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2017/09/15/adobes-late-2017-creative-clo...

Oliver

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2017 at 5:47:41 pm

And hey, look at that...a price increase. (at bottom)

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/10/redefining-modern-creativity-...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 18, 2017 at 5:59:33 pm

[Shane Ross] "And hey, look at that...a price increase. (at bottom)"

...and anyone who could not see this coming, speak up. Bueller? Bueller?

Gotta fund the development of Muse, Character Animator and Dreamweaver somehow! ;-)

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 18, 2017 at 7:17:02 pm

$36 more per year for individual licenses.

I'm sure there'll be folks griping about this but that's because people love to complain. It's the first price increase in several years and it's nominal.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 18, 2017 at 5:22:14 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Biggest change is multiple open projects"

Is this the same as having multiple Libraries own?

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 18, 2017 at 6:05:35 pm

[Scott Witthaus] " Libraries own?"

Library OPEN that is...

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 18, 2017 at 7:40:10 pm

Here too is Kylee Pena's coverage at the COW blogs.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 19, 2017 at 12:50:30 pm

Remember me everybody? 😉 I hope you're all well and I can see a lot of the same folks still chatting on editing, preferred NLE's and the like!

I thought I would pop on as there was a part of MAX of which I was directly involved. Yesterday at MAX, Adobe also launched a Motion Graphics templates marketplace on Adobe Stock. I am very proud to have had a hand in making this happen and for Adobe users, it should be a very welcomed addition to their Creative Cloud use. As of this moment, we have over 1,000 templates of which over 100 are free. These are high quality After Effects designs that can be leveraged directly in Premiere Pro.

Among these, is a small Master Artists Collection which has some extremely high quality free content.

For Adobe users, I hope you enjoy it and provide some feedback. For FCXer's, yes, I know! I've heard it all before!

For yesterday's MAX keynote, go to around 1:50:00 to get to Jason's portion on mogrts.

Best to you all!
Dennis (former video guy, now Stock guy)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 19, 2017 at 2:08:30 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "Among these, is a small Master Artists Collection which has some extremely high quality free content.

For Adobe users, I hope you enjoy it and provide some feedback. For FCXer's, yes, I know! I've heard it all before!
"

It's a welcome addition to PPro, quality templates that you can use directly within the NLE has been a strength of the FCPX Ecosystem for quite a while.

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 18, 2017 at 8:25:46 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Is this the same as having multiple Libraries own?"

Yes, "open". ☺ Same as FCPX and FCP7.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Oct 18, 2017 at 9:47:41 pm

Both Pr and Ae 2018 crash immediately upon launching : [
On a MBP (2014) with 16gb ram and latest Sierra.

- No Parking Production -

3 x Adobe CC, 3 x iMac, 3 x MbP, 10 GB Ethernet File Server

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 18, 2017 at 11:39:11 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Both Pr and Ae 2018 crash immediately upon launching"

Too bad. I had 7 different workstations working with it today after upgrading. Mixture of old and new Mac Pros and iMacs. NAS shared storage.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Oct 19, 2017 at 4:38:02 am

Haven't had a chance to update yet, but I am excited about Kyle Webster of kylebrush.com coming on board with Adobe and having his collection of brushes (and those he will make in the future) available to subscribers. Granted, I would still have purchased them anyway, but it's a nice little bonus.

And while this isn't related to the 2018 update, battleaxe.co just released an amazing tool called Overlord which creates a two-way connection between After Effects and Illustrator. Extremely useful for working with Illustrator layers (rather than files) inside of Ae. I bought it immediately, and although I've only scratched the surface, it's wonderful.

I'm also excited for the 1.0 release of Character Animator. I've had a chance to play around with some of the betas, and it's a fairly deep and powerful tool. I was able to live broadcast with it a couple times which was a lot of fun; even built in some keyboard triggers to have the character do different poses while I was talking. I think (at least right now) it is probably best suited for live, interactive character-ization, but I'll be interested to see where it goes.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 19, 2017 at 12:27:30 pm

Project locking finally works. Locking must be enabled in the "collaboration" preference setting (Team accounts). Whoever opens first has write control. Everyone else who opens has read-only control. Basically it's Avid-like for multi-editor workflows, like TV shows, films, etc.

Let's see if Apple steps up to the plate with something that enables better collaborative workflows.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 20, 2017 at 10:58:46 am

[Oliver Peters] "Let's see if Apple steps up to the plate with something that enables better collaborative workflows"

I would rather see Apple integrate Motion/Logic into the workflow like Adobe is doing with PS and AE. Again, collaborative workflow is probably not needed for most visual storytellers.

Finished a Pr job recently and I really enjoyed bouncing to AE for simple little things when needed. Of course, the next day one of the linked files from AE would not show up in Pr....oh well.

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 20, 2017 at 7:41:12 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Let's see if Apple steps up to the plate with something that enables better collaborative workflows."

There are rumors floating that Arctic Whiteness (The FCP X Library Manager, folk) have been working with Focus 1st AE Mike Matzdorff and Lumaforge on some type of "temporary collaborative library virtualizations" that help in the shared workflow arena.

That would be consistent with the Apple process of letting outside entities build out functions that only a sub-set of their users are likely to need.

Sam and Mike are doing a session at the FCP X Creative Summit next week about it.

Beyond that - I know nothing.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 20, 2017 at 8:50:45 pm

[Bill Davis] "Sam and Mike are doing a session at the FCP X Creative Summit next week about it."

I'd be curious to see what they come up with. Although it's a small subset of users, the function does apply to any place with 2 or more edit stations. NAS storage is so darn cheap these days that shared storage is no longer a rarified situation.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 20, 2017 at 11:03:39 pm

[Oliver Peters] "NAS storage is so darn cheap these days that shared storage is no longer a rarified situation."

And everything else (computer, NLE, etc.,) is so darn cheap that having multiple people working on the same project(s) is also no longer a rarified situation. Death to Sneaker Net!

[Bill Davis] "There are rumors floating that Arctic Whiteness (The FCP X Library Manager, folk) have been working with Focus 1st AE Mike Matzdorff and Lumaforge on some type of "temporary collaborative library virtualizations" that help in the shared workflow arena."

Is this what you are referring to, Bill?

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1999-collaborative-workflow-in-fcpx-wi...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 21, 2017 at 7:46:58 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Is this what you are referring to, Bill?"

Yep.

The interesting thing is that "ephemeral copy" approach.

At least as I (rudimentarily) understand it.

The person wanting access to the Library can open, access, and even copy elements from a non-mounted outside library for use in their discrete operations - but when the access is terminated, the virtualized copy is eliminated. So the issue of constantly making new copies of existing libraries all in different states of completion - is avoided..

It's not the holy grail of true collaboration, obviously. But it appears to solve quite a few specific collaborative issues like the need for outside vendors to constantly update the state of an evolving project for their contributions - without multi-version conflicts arising.

Theoretically, the collaborator could do a "last ephemeral update" just prior to their delivery deadline - make any needed adjustments - and then the host editor could substitute that copy of the Event or Library for their "working copy" - allowing a slightly different form of round-tripping.

This is theoretical musing - I'll see the actual product in Cupertino next week. Until then, I'm mostly just guessing.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 22, 2017 at 3:13:03 pm

Another possible solution?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 22, 2017 at 11:21:35 pm

While it's certainly a viable approach, it definitely is a kludge. That's why there needs to be an official collaboration feature developed by Apple.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 22, 2017 at 3:37:05 am

If its like you describe, that is not Avid like at all. All Avid users normally have read/write access to the PROJECT regardless of who opened it first. When it comes to BINS (and sequences contained within them), the one who had it open first has full write access, with others having read only. The way Adobe is doing this really limits collaboration on the same project. Multiple editors will still have to maintain their own project rather than work simultaneously within the same one.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 22, 2017 at 12:17:57 pm

[John Pale] "All Avid users normally have read/write access to the PROJECT regardless of who opened it first. When it comes to BINS (and sequences contained within them), the one who had it open first has full write access, with others having read only."

Think of it based on "data units" (my term). In Avid the Bin is the basic data unit, whereas in Premiere, the Project is the basic data unit. In Avid read/write access/locking happens at the bin level while in Premiere it happens at the project level.

In Avid if you work on a film with several "reels" or acts, each might be in its own bin and multiple editors could work in the same project simultaneously, but in different bins. You can access any content from another bin (opened by another editor) as read-only when needed. In Premiere, each "reel" or act might be a separate project and different editors work in their own project. But then if you need to access material from another project, you can open it in a read-only mode.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 23, 2017 at 1:57:15 am

thanks for that.

I've since found a pretty decent tutorial/intro/explanation video...and yes...it is just as powerful as the Avid version.

I was unaware of the Premiere concept of Shared Projects existing within a Master Project...which is different from the way Avid does it, but it seems just as flexible....possibly, even more so.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 23, 2017 at 4:43:08 am

[John Pale] "I've since found a pretty decent tutorial/intro/explanation video...and yes...it is just as powerful as the Avid version."

I saw that video a while back and below is what my initial reaction was (https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/97852):

At first blush I'm skeptical of how smoothly this is going to work in the real world. The video skimps on the setup details, but it appears that users create multiple projects and then import those individual projects into a Master Shared Project. The individual projects and the individual folders can then be locked/unlocked so users don't overwrite one another's work. It seems like a kludgy attempt to mimic Avid where the PPro Master Shared Project is analogous to an Avid Project and the PPro projects that reside inside of the Master Shared Project are analogous to bins in Avid.

A couple of other things bugged me as well. Not being able to set In/Out points in a locked folder/project is a pretty notable limitation, and being able to create folders that aren't sharable has a high probability of creating confusion/frustration.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 19, 2017 at 12:36:50 pm

[Jason Watson] "And while this isn't related to the 2018 update, battleaxe.co just released an amazing tool called Overlord which creates a two-way connection between After Effects and Illustrator. Extremely useful for working with Illustrator layers (rather than files) inside of Ae. I bought it immediately, and although I've only scratched the surface, it's wonderful. "

Oh, that sounds interesting.
Does this mean I don't have to make layers within AI?
I could never understand where graphic designers get their training from.
They just love using one layer :P

I wonder if there will be one for InDesign.
I get a lot of projects from that workflow into AE.

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Oct 21, 2017 at 11:20:14 am

[Eric Santiago] "Does this mean I don't have to make layers within AI?"

You can basically set it up in Illustrator however you want. One layer, lots of layers; it's really flexible. It even retains whatever naming you have within a layer, with options for centering, etc.

I also like the little "switch to Illustrator" or "switch to After Effects" button as well. :-)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 19, 2017 at 4:52:05 pm

[Jason Watson] "And while this isn't related to the 2018 update, battleaxe.co just released an amazing tool called Overlord which creates a two-way connection between After Effects and Illustrator. Extremely useful for working with Illustrator layers (rather than files) inside of Ae. I bought it immediately, and although I've only scratched the surface, it's wonderful. "

This is awesome, thanks for the recommendation!

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 20, 2017 at 1:43:10 am

Just got an email that frame.io panels aren’t working in CC2018.

Frame seems to be working on a fix targeting the next few days.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 21, 2017 at 4:30:25 pm

I cannot thank you enough for posting this. Editable text from Ai to Ae without a bunch of hoopla? Amazing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]