FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interview with Randy Ubillos and How I came to enjoy FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Busse
Interview with Randy Ubillos and How I came to enjoy FCP X
on Oct 5, 2017 at 12:01:49 am

Over the last 6 months or so I've been playing around with FCP X and discovering the story behind its development. Thanks to some free time at work I was able to interview Randy Ubillos and write an article about it. Would love to hear your thoughts about my journey with FCP X and if anyone else can relate.

Article: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-gave-fcp-x-another-chance-liked-featuring-...
Interview: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/interview-randy-ubillos-developer-fcp-x-davi...

PS: Mods, if you don't like me posting URLs to LinkedIn please let me know and I'll see about posting just the text.

Video Producer/Editor
http://cidesigninc.com/

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Interview with Randy Ubillos and How I came to enjoy FCP X
on Oct 5, 2017 at 1:08:20 am

Perhaps the instructors at the school were using old editing methods. Premiere Pro can make good use of metadata. Premiere Pro does not have keywords. Keywords, keyword collections and favorites are in Adobe's Bridge. Premiere Pro has metadata fields that can serve a very similar function.

"They spent a day going over importing and logging and how you had to choose how you wanted to organize your material because the folder structure would determine how you looked for things later and you had to get it right from the start".

I am not sure why a day was spent on importing and logging. I am not sure I agree that you have to get it right from the start. You can add and delete folders in Premiere Pro and make alterations to the structure throughout the entire editing process. I think Premiere could do that even back when Randy himself wrote the code for it. Does he think Premiere Pro got worse since he left? Having said that whenever I hear a comparison between FCPX VS Premiere Pro from someone who edits using FCPX I think they always have a need to make Premiere Pro seem much harder to use that it actually is. If you want to say FCPX is better that is OK. It is personal choice. It is the need to make Premiere Pro seem much hard to use than it actually is that I find odd.

Return to posts index

David Busse
on Oct 5, 2017 at 5:01:10 pm

Andy, I agree with you that Premiere is still great software. There is no reason that we have to be either with FCP X or against FCP X. For me part of what muddied the FCP X waters over the years was the black and white nature of many debates. To me, both Premiere and FCP X are tools that are both very capable. The rest is a matter of opinion and needs.

Brett, absolutely. Apple's poor roll out of FCP X with the timing of me just graduating college is what drove me away from it. I think had the timing in my own life been different that I may have been more up for exploring FCP X and seeing what it really had to offer, but at the time Premiere Pro offered the closest thing to FCP 7 and I didn't want to risk the early days of career on learning completely new software. I still believe switching to Premiere Pro was the right move for me and I have no regrets about not giving FCP X a better chance back then(for the record, I did dabble with it for a few projects). I'm glad to hear it is software that works great for you and I hope that I can convince some members of my local community to give it another chance.

Steve, Thanks!

Video Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Oct 6, 2017 at 12:26:38 am

"Whenever I hear a comparison between FCPX VS Premiere Pro from someone who edits using FCPX I think they always have a need to make Premiere Pro seem much harder to use that it actually is."

I did not sense this at all in the article. Rather, compared to FCP X certain tasks in Premiere Pro simply are slower by comparison. This is not a critique of Premiere Pro, it's just one of the strengths of FCP X. Having used both, organizing footage in FCP X is leaps and bounds faster and more flexible than it is in Premiere Pro. That never stopped me from completing a job in Premiere Pro, but it was definitely slower to get started. Premiere Pro definitely has its strengths. It doesn't have to be a fight to the death every time the two are mentioned in the same sentence.

Gabriel Spaulding
Creator & Director of ACE Enterprizes
Videographer | Video Editor | Motion Designer

How Can We Help You Tell Your Story?
http://www.aceenterprizes.com

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 6, 2017 at 1:46:01 am

[Gabriel Spaulding] ""Whenever I hear a comparison between FCPX VS Premiere Pro from someone who edits using FCPX I think they always have a need to make Premiere Pro seem much harder to use that it actually is."

I did not sense this at all in the article. Rather, compared to FCP X certain tasks in Premiere Pro simply are slower by comparison. This is not a critique of Premiere Pro, it's just one of the strengths of FCP X.

I don't believe the part about you have to get things right the first time when setting up folders in Premiere Pro. That simply is not the case nor was it ever. That is making Premiere Pro look worse than actually is. In fact Randy could have stated Premiere Pro is not as ridged as the instructor implied but why fight a good smack at Adobe. There will always be a need to take a dig at Adobe. Be honest about that. Having said that keyword, keyword collections and favorites were in Adobe's Bridge long before FCPX was released. Randy forget to mention that. I don't doubt Randy used Adobe's Bridge prior to implementing those features into FCPX.

[Gabriel Spaulding] " Having used both, organizing footage in FCP X is leaps and bounds faster and more flexible than it is in Premiere Pro."

I have both programs myself. I am hip to keyword and keyword collections. Could you do a short tutorial/demo between the two programs for your workflow? Keep in mind I am not saying FCPX is not your best bet. I just want to see how FCPX is leaps and bounds faster and more flexible than Premiere Pro for everyone. I say that because I have found many obstacles when using FCPX.

Just recently a die hard X user stated that FCPX allowed to him to edit in ways not possible in any other NLE. He stated that is the beauty of X. When all was said and done, not only can I edit the exact same way in Premiere Pro I had posted a video about it two years ago. That person really thought X saved him a lot of time over using Premiere Pro when it simply was not the case. Some people really want to hype every little feature of FCPX when there really is not a reason to do so. In fact it can be annoying at times. That is why I would really like to see a demo comparing FCPX to Premiere Pro for your workflow. That is what this forum is all about. It would be good info for everyone.

[Gabriel Spaulding] "Premiere Pro definitely has its strengths. It doesn't have to be a fight to the death every time the two are mentioned in the same sentence."

It is unfortunate that Premiere Pro is made to seem much more difficult to use than it actually is.

What I am saying is you don't see Avid editors saying Avid allows them to edit in way not possible in any other NLE. There is a few things unique to FCPX but the same could be said of all the NLE in 2017.

I am looking forward to your demo but until then this person is stating Premiere Pro (not FCPX) works better for his workflow. How can that be? My guess is everyone's editing needs is different.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 6, 2017 at 6:46:54 am

[andy patterson] "Some people really want to hype every little feature of FCPX when there really is not a reason to do so. In fact it can be annoying at times. That is why I would really like to see a demo comparing FCPX to Premiere Pro for your workflow. That is what this forum is all about. It would be good info for everyone.

"

I really don't think this forum is about people making demo videos, generally here on the COW we trust what people say based on their experience :)

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Oct 6, 2017 at 2:18:00 pm

[Steve Connor] "I really don't think this forum is about people making demo videos, generally here on the COW we trust what people say based on their experience ☺
"

plus, who's got the time to make demo videos? we are editors after all.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 6, 2017 at 4:27:11 pm

[Neil Goodman] "[Steve Connor] "I really don't think this forum is about people making demo videos, generally here on the COW we trust what people say based on their experience ☺
"

plus, who's got the time to make demo videos? we are editors after all."

True, so extra kudos to people like Simon Ubsdell who take the time and effort to make really good demos. ☺

Shawn

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 6, 2017 at 9:17:15 pm

[Shawn Miller] "True, so extra kudos to people like Simon Ubsdell who take the time and effort to make really good demos. ☺"

Yes definitely, but we seem to have lost him for the moment! Hope all is OK with him

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 6, 2017 at 3:56:24 pm

[Steve Connor] "I really don't think this forum is about people making demo videos, generally here on the COW we trust what people say based on their experience ☺
"

Amen. Could there be anything more boring than demo videos? If people haven't figured out what the benefits of each NLE are by this point, them there's little hope for them.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Oct 6, 2017 at 11:37:43 am

"Keyword, keyword collections and favorites were in Adobe's Bridge long before FCPX was released. Randy forget to mention that."

Did he? We had similar functionality in iPhoto and Aperture. They were not integrated into an NLE until FCP X, so there would have been no reason to mention them.

"There will always be a need to take a dig at Adobe. Be honest about that."

I have yet to see a FCP X user jump on an Adobe forum and bash Premiere Pro, yet it's rare to find a FCP X forum that hasn't been polluted by an acrimonious Adobe user. People are critical, and not always at the right time or in the right place. I honestly don't see how one can paint Adobe as the victim without wearing a smirk.

"That is why I would really like to see a demo comparing FCPX to Premiere Pro for your workflow."

I have not incorporated Premiere Pro into my current workflow because I dislike using it so much. This does not mean it isn't capable. This does not mean I don't recognize its strengths. This does not mean I wouldn't or couldn't use it if requested. I just personally find it cluttered and clunky, though it's not worth my time to try and convince the rest of the world that it's cluttered and clunky. Many people feel differently about it, and I respect that they have their own legitimate reasons for using it.

"I am looking forward to your demo but until then this person is stating Premiere Pro (not FCPX) works better for his workflow. How can that be?"

Having seen your last demo comparisons on this site, which had I think the unintended consequence of NOT making things any clearer, I think you would do well to remember your final statement:

"My guess is everyone's editing needs is different."

Exactly. Well, they "are" different. And every job is different. I use FCP X differently for different projects, I use it in different ways than I used Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro 7. I still use FCP7 for certain jobs and I use Premiere Pro when requested as well. I don't have a problem with this. I think that perhaps you do, though, despite the statement "My guess is everyone's editing needs is different," because if you really felt that way you would not constantly be asking for comparison videos and continually claiming that "There is (are) a few things unique to FCPX" and then completely disregarding them by saying that all NLE's have unique stuff. I do not care which NLE you use. It doesn't make any difference to anyone. But perhaps those few unique things are worth looking into; perhaps those things are why some people prefer to cut with FCP X; perhaps those very things are why so many editors have exclaimed that they are now editing faster than ever before and the process has become fun again. I don't mean that as an advert for FCP X, but many people DO feel that way, and those feelings are legitimate, and they do not in any way degrade how anyone else feels about their own preferred NLE.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 6, 2017 at 9:56:16 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] "I have yet to see a FCP X user jump on an Adobe forum and bash Premiere Pro, yet it's rare to find a FCP X forum that hasn't been polluted by an acrimonious Adobe user. People are critical, and not always at the right time or in the right place. I honestly don't see how one can paint Adobe as the victim without wearing a smirk."

I never stated or even implied that any FCPX user trolls the Adobe forums. That is a straw-man argument. Please don't use anymore. Having said that. I have seen several FCPX meetings where the presenters take a smack or two at Adobe and Avid and the audience cheers on. That is reality. I don't see that happen at Adobe or Avid meetings. Not to mention the countless times I hear it implied that Avid and Premiere Pro are old an outdated at the cow.

[Gabriel Spaulding] "I have not incorporated Premiere Pro into my current workflow because I dislike using it so much. This does not mean it isn't capable. This does not mean I don't recognize its strengths. This does not mean I wouldn't or couldn't use it if requested. I just personally find it cluttered and clunky, though it's not worth my time to try and convince the rest of the world that it's cluttered and clunky. Many people feel differently about it, and I respect that they have their own legitimate reasons for using it."

That is kind of my point. If you don't use Premiere Pro daily how can you claim FCPX is a vastly superior program? That same claim is made daily by several FCPX users and they don't use Premiere Pro either.

How many times do you see a Premiere Pro editor say Premiere Pro is vastly superior to FCPX? How many times do you see Avid users say Avid is vastly superior to FCPX?

I am not a fan of FCPX's GUI nor are a lot of people but we don't say the GUI of FCPX is cringe worthy or hideous. That has been said about Premiere Pro many times. The titling system of Premiere Pro had the same bad rap until I proved that to be false.

[Gabriel Spaulding] "Having seen your last demo comparisons on this site, which had I think the unintended consequence of NOT making things any clearer, I think you would do well to remember your final statement:"

That is not my demo that I posted. It is just a video I seen on YouYube.

I have both FCPX and Premiere Pro. Have I ever claimed Premiere Pro is vastly superior to FCPX? I like using Premiere Pro but that is my preference. I think FCPX is a good program. I have stated that many times. Perhaps from now on maybe the over use of FCPX is vastly superior and much more flexible and allows me to edit in ways not possible in any other NLE will come to an end. For some people FCPX is not the best option. It is a NLE like all the rest. It has strengths and weaknesses just like the rest of them.

Instead of stating FCPX is leap and bounds better than Premiere Pro why not just state FCPX works better for my needs?

[Gabriel Spaulding] "I have not incorporated Premiere Pro into my current workflow because I dislike using it so much."

As I have stated I have both FCPX and Premiere Pro and I don't have the same feeling about Premiere Pro. What does that tell us? Do you kind of see my point?

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Oct 6, 2017 at 10:25:26 pm

"That is a straw-man argument. Please don't use anymore."

It has been my experience for years. Please do not tell me what I am allowed to report.

" If you don't use Premiere Pro daily how can you claim FCPX is a vastly superior program?"

I used Premiere Pro every single day for a year at my previous job, while using FCP X for freelance work on the side. Premiere Pro has not changed very much since then, and I keep up with it so that I can dive back in if requested. I never claimed that FCP X is a vastly superior program. If you think that then you are cherry picking. Re-read my post(s) until you understand what was actually written.

"Instead of stating FCPX is leap and bounds better than Premiere Pro why not just state FCPX works better for my needs?"

FCP X does work better for my needs. I have already said that. And FCP X is leaps and bounds better than Premiere Pro —at some things. If you interpret "some" as "all" then you have a comprehension problem.

"As I have stated I have both FCPX and Premiere Pro and I don't have the same feeling about Premiere Pro. What does that tell us? Do you kind of see my point?"

You have both and you like one more than the other, but you're not content with liking Premiere Pro you have a curious desire to constantly validate your preference by comparing it to FCP X and asking FCP X users to justify their decisions. I could not have been more clear that all of the NLEs have their own strengths and weaknesses, that what an individual prefers to use is irrelevant, and that what you use makes absolutely no difference to me. What exactly is the problem? And why is it so important for everyone to understand your point?

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 7, 2017 at 3:50:48 am

[Gabriel Spaulding] ""Instead of stating FCPX is leap and bounds better than Premiere Pro why not just state FCPX works better for my needs?"

FCP X does work better for my needs. I have already said that. And FCP X is leaps and bounds better than Premiere Pro —at some things. If you interpret "some" as "all" then you have a comprehension problem."

Is it a comprehension problem? Reread you own quote below.

[Gabriel Spaulding] " Having used both, organizing footage in FCP X is leaps and bounds faster and more flexible than it is in Premiere Pro."

Or you could say vastly superior. I simply want to see proof from you. Not Thomas Grover Carter.

[Gabriel Spaulding] "You have both and you like one more than the other, but you're not content with liking Premiere Pro you have a curious desire to constantly validate your preference by comparing it to FCP X and asking FCP X users to justify their decisions."

That is incorrect. I don't want FCPX users to justify their decision. I do want them to justify their comments. Unless people actually demonstrate how FCPX is vastly superior for their needs it is just useless rhetoric. Keep in mind I am not doubting FCPX is better but I need proof of this.

[Gabriel Spaulding] " I could not have been more clear that all of the NLEs have their own strengths and weaknesses, that what an individual prefers to use is irrelevant, and that what you use makes absolutely no difference to me."

They do have strengths and weakness. I am talking about what was written below.

All I want is proof of this. In the video link I posted it was Premiere Pro that proved to be much more flexible than FCPX for Scott's needs. That is kind of my point. Once again you don't see Premiere Pro users claiming Premiere Pro is leaps and bounds better than FCPX or that Premiere Pro is more flexible than FCPX. Scott in his video stated for him Premiere was more flexible for his needs. Keep in mind he also demonstrated why. That is what I want to see from the FCPX users. Is that to much to asks?

[Gabriel Spaulding] "What exactly is the problem? And why is it so important for everyone to understand your point?"

I would like to see you edit with Premiere Pro and FCPX. I say that because when I see this done by a FCPX users I can easily find ways in which they could speed up their workflow when using Premiere Pro. Let me ask you this. Is it possible a Premiere Pro editor could edit as proficient as you when you use FCPX? Would FCPX be leaps and bounds better than Premiere Pro or would both programs require a great wealth of knowledge to use them 100% efficiently? Keep in mind I have never stated FCPX is better or worse than Avid or that FCPX is better or worse than Premiere Pro. I will say there is a lot of bias info on the internet. I prefer honest criticisms. I would like to see more honest criticism in these forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Oct 7, 2017 at 5:46:53 am

'Cause each time I feel it slipping away, just makes me wanna cry,
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?,

– Elvis Costello

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 7, 2017 at 8:15:02 am

Thanks again Tim for the "ignore" button, really helps clean up the forum feed from people saying the same thing over and over and over again :)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 6, 2017 at 11:00:12 pm

[andy patterson] "we don't say the GUI of FCPX is cringe worthy or hideous. "

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you call it "Fisher Price" ?

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 7, 2017 at 4:00:45 am

[Steve Connor] "[andy patterson] "we don't say the GUI of FCPX is cringe worthy or hideous. "

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you call it "Fisher Price" ?"

You are correct. I said the same exact thing about Premiere and Edius. Not Premiere Pro but Premiere 5.0 and 6.0. It is honest criticism. I will try to have a video demo showing the differences between the two GUIs (Premiere Pro and FCPX). As you can imagine my video will not be laced with bias but honest criticisms. I have stated the biggest downfall for FCPX is the GUI. Unlike people who like to talk rhetoric I will provide evidence of why that is the case. I might have the video ready in a week or two.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Oct 6, 2017 at 3:23:53 pm

" I am hip to keyword and keyword collections. Could you do a short tutorial/demo between the two programs for your workflow?"

I'm sure most people by now have seen Thomas Grove Carter's demos. You don't think that is a good account of how fast and efficient keywording can be in FCPX? I'm not sure anyone could do it much better.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Oct 6, 2017 at 3:50:54 pm

Thomas Grove Carter's demonstration (he's demonstrated this multiple times with different projects) is precisely what I had in mind. Considering these are arguably THE best display of the power of keywording, smart collections, favorites, rejects, etc. I see no point in taking the time to create another demo in an attempt to convince someone who clearly is not open to being convinced, despite his requests for more demos. And Thomas Grove Carter's approach may not be the best approach for an interview, or a documentary, where connected clips and secondary storylines can be integral components. Different projects require different organizational methods. There is no single demo that can appropriately cover how to organize every type of project, taking into account every editor's preferences, and every possible ecosystem that the project lives in. However, preferences aside, there are objectively things that FCP X does do better than every other NLE, and organization is arguably an area where FCP X shines. I would be shocked if anyone can accomplish what Thomas Grove Carter did, as quickly, efficiently and effectively, in any other NLE. This does not mean that every other NLE is garbage, it's just a reminder that FCP X really excels at some things. Avid currently has better collaboration. Premiere Pro has better key framing. Resolve has better grading. They all have strengths. This endless cycle of "yeah, but..." is so tiresome. If you don't like it don't use it. But learn how to use it before you trash it, and then, maybe there's no reason to trash it in the first place (because everything you trash is loved by many others).

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 6, 2017 at 6:13:08 pm

[andy patterson] "keyword collections and favorites were in Adobe's Bridge long before FCPX was released"

Yes, it was and I was deep into using that for all media assets back when it first came out.
However, things went awry with files losing their metadata and things got sour at my post house.
I did my best to keep users applying the data but after a few failed projects we just gave up on it.

Now years later I tried it again but we became RED centric and that did not work at all with Adobe Bridge.

FCPX has been the most helpful at getting metadata attached to all files used.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 5, 2017 at 12:28:09 pm

Interesting to hear your take. It seems the biggest hesitation you faced in exploring FCP X was resentment from the roll-out. One wonders how many others are in that same boat and had Apple handled the release of FCP X better whether there would have been this massive anti-FCPX movement. It certainly is a lesson for all software developers.

There were others like me that didn't freak out, and just waited. When FCP X had what I needed I jumped in. Was it 100% smooth. Nope. Starting out with ill-conceived Project and Event architecture (before libraries) and inability to store them on SMB servers created big hassles for me. But I was editing more efficiently than ever. So that kept me there.

Yesterday, I managed to edit a 2 minute video combining 8 interviews with about an hour of B-Roll on a 3 hour train ride from Newark to Washington, DC so I could release that evening. Frankly, I don't think it would have been possible with Premiere for many reasons. That's why I stick with FCP X.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 5, 2017 at 12:35:24 pm

Thanks for posting this David - a very good read

Return to posts index

David Busse
on Oct 14, 2017 at 8:29:50 pm

Thanks Steve!

Video Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 5, 2017 at 5:20:36 pm

[Brett Sherman] " It seems the biggest hesitation you faced in exploring FCP X was resentment from the roll-out."

Just to clarify, for those of us who had established freelance careers when FCPX was introduced it made absolutely no sense to waste any energy learning and adopting FCPX. In my market no post house even considered converting to it and so over time some freelancers started dabbling in it on their own but from a purely business perspective there was very little upside to learning it or incorporating it into a real workflow.

Fast forward to the present and now there's firmly entrenched systems in place at most facilities and also with freelancers with their own systems so once again there's very little motivation to use it if you are well versed in another NLE. In my case I learned it for the sole reason of taking on a job that was offered to me. I like FCPX quite a lot but looking at my work as a business there remains no viable reason to move towards a FCPX workflow.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Oct 7, 2017 at 3:15:09 pm

[greg janza] "Just to clarify, for those of us who had established freelance careers when FCPX was introduced it made absolutely no sense to waste any energy learning and adopting FCPX. In my market no post house even considered converting to it and so over time some freelancers started dabbling in it on their own but from a purely business perspective there was very little upside to learning it or incorporating it into a real workflow."

Most freelancers I know do side jobs on their own to bring in extra cash. They could do that with the same software they use at work or a different one. It doesn't really matter what work has in that scenario. When X came out it so affordable, It made all the "cents" in the world from that perspective.

Really no different from people working on AVID at work and Legacy on the side back in the day.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 8, 2017 at 1:33:23 pm

That makes sense. I've been out of the freelance biz for about 10 years now and never was a job to job type person. I had a very small cadre of regular clients.

One also wonders how much resentment also played into facilities moving to other platforms. Though FCP X at the beginning had some crucial deficiencies for larger facilities. As I mentioned before which caused issues for me, the lack of being able to store libraries on a central server would be a big hurdle for them.

Which makes me wonder, if FCP X had library organization, SMB support, media storage outside the library, audio lanes from the get go, whether it's support would have plummeted so much. Sure there were those that didn't like the trackless arrangement. But having switched from tracks to trackless, I can say that the hurdles would not have been as great as imagined. Especially if lanes had been there to partially mollify the switch.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Oct 9, 2017 at 5:18:30 am

[Brett Sherman] "Which makes me wonder, if FCP X had library organization, SMB support, media storage outside the library, audio lanes from the get go, whether it's support would have plummeted so much. Sure there were those that didn't like the trackless arrangement. But having switched from tracks to trackless, I can say that the hurdles would not have been as great as imagined. Especially if lanes had been there to partially mollify the switch.
"

I certainly think it would have been less, but there was a belief for many that Apple didn't care about "pros" anymore and that fueled a lot of distrust.

I never believed that myself. I never believed they were making iMovie 2. They didn't need 2 iMovies.

People said that they were not going to build a new mac pro and that was wrong also.

They missed the mark with it and now they are coming back with another one.

I read Herb's account on the other thread and I totally see his frustration. I had never seen him describe it in that kind of detail.

I was lucky I guess. I liked X better than 7 out of the box. 7 could do things it couldn't but X could do things 7 couldn't and I believed they would keep improving X and they did. I used it just fine for broadcast work but I understand why others couldn't.

I believed you could cut a feature film with it before they cut a feature film with it.

Apple doesn't tell anybody anything because they know folks will just copy their stuff. That's just how it is with them. Always has been.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 10, 2017 at 9:31:07 am

[Tony West] "Apple doesn't tell anybody anything because they know folks will just copy their stuff. That's just how it is with them. Always has been."

Wait, Tony... are you telling me that other companies watch Apple just to COPY ideas -

Naw, that will NEVER happen. Nobody EVER copies from Apple....

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/10/07/android-makers-shift-focus-from-u...

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 10, 2017 at 9:53:46 am

[Bill Davis] "Naw, that will NEVER happen. Nobody EVER copies from Apple...."

Great artists steal?

https://www.windowscentral.com/video-windows-hello-realsense-camera

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 10, 2017 at 5:04:49 pm

[Tony West] "Apple doesn't tell anybody anything because they know folks will just copy their stuff. That's just how it is with them. Always has been."

I dunno. I think it mainly had to do with Jobs' desire to control the narrative. I mean, even when they were sucking wind in the late 90's/early 00's they were secretive, but it's not like anyone wanted to copy what Apple was doing at that time. Put Jobs on the stage though revealing a new piece of hardware or software for the first time and he could sell wool to a sheep (which helps a lot when your company is sucking wind).

The iPod and aluminum enclosed computers started an upward trajectory and a design trend in the mid 2000's, but I don't think it was until we were 2-3 generations into the iPhone before Apple was solidifying it's status as a company with the Midas touch. Of course even then other companies still rolled out features, such as biometric security, way before Apple did. It's just that when you have the brightest spotlight people tend to pay the most attention to you (both your successes and your failures).

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 10, 2017 at 6:47:19 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Of course even then other companies still rolled out features, such as biometric security, way before Apple did. It's just that when you have the brightest spotlight people tend to pay the most attention to you (both your successes and your failures)."

That's totally true.

But biometric security on a pad in front of a corporate lab managed by security professionals is one thing.

Biometric security that 100 million people can learn to use in one minute for access to a device that they have never touched before - but will go on to live in their pockets and purses and become part of their daily lives -

those are two VASTLY different games, IMO.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 10, 2017 at 7:16:04 pm

[Bill Davis] "But biometric security on a pad in front of a corporate lab managed by security professionals is one thing.

Biometric security that 100 million people can learn to use in one minute for access to a device that they have never touched before - but will go on to live in their pockets and purses and become part of their daily lives -

those are two VASTLY different games, IMO."

The iPhone wasn't the first smartphone to have a fingerprint reader, and laptops with fingerprint readers existed long before TouchID made its way onto a MBP.

Apple's MO isn't to get there first. Apple's MO is to learn from the mistakes of the companies that did get there first and try to release something better down the line.

Return to posts index

David Busse
on Oct 14, 2017 at 8:28:22 pm

Brett, absolutely. Apple's poor roll out of FCP X with the timing of me just graduating college is what drove me away from it. I think had the timing in my own life been different that I may have been more up for exploring FCP X and seeing what it really had to offer, but at the time Premiere Pro offered the closest thing to FCP 7 and I didn't want to risk the early days of career on learning completely new software. I still believe switching to Premiere Pro was the right move for me and I have no regrets about not giving FCP X a better chance back then(for the record, I did dabble with it for a few projects). I'm glad to hear it is software that works great for you and I hope that I can convince some members of my local community to give it another chance.

PS...didn't mean to double post this, still getting used to the functionality of this forum and I wasn't able to edit the post I made above.

Video Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]