FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 and Rosetta

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marvin Holdman
FCP7 and Rosetta
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:40:51 pm

As they are saying Lion does not support Rosetta and FCP7 is a 32bit app, does anyone know how it's going to run on Lion? I know they've said it will continue to work, just wondering how that's going to happen. Anyone running a Lion beta with FCP7 and FCPX on the same boot?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
Re: FCP7 and Rosetta
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:42:44 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "As they are saying Lion does not support Rosetta and FCP7 is a 32bit app, does anyone know how it's going to run on Lion? I know they've said it will continue to work, just wondering how that's going to happen."

Rosetta is for running PPC apps on Intel Macs. Lion still runs 32-bit (Intel) apps just fine.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:44:47 pm

Is it safe to assume that all PPC apps will run in Lion?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:47:04 pm

OK, I just re-read my post. Meant to say 32 bit apps. Sorry.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:00:19 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "OK, I just re-read my post. Meant to say 32 bit apps. Sorry."

No 32-bit apps will stop working on Lion because they're 32-bit apps, but of course Lion, like every OS update, has the potential to break apps for other reasons.

Also, Lion may break some drivers because they're 32-bit. A 64-bit kernel requires 64-bit drivers.

--

Return to posts index

James Poll
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:18:14 pm

Although FCP 7 will apparently run under Lion, I've seen a couple of people mention that the Final Cut Studio 3 installer is PowerPC based - which means you can only install FCP 7 using Snow Leopard *after which* you upgrade to Lion. If you have a Mac with Lion pre-installed, then you won't be able to install FCP 7 on it.

Can anyone confirm whether this is actually the case? Is the FCS3 installer PPC only?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:20:31 pm

[Chris Kenny] "Also, Lion may break some drivers because they're 32-bit. A 64-bit kernel requires 64-bit drivers."

Snow Leopard didn't default to the 64 bit kernel except on certain machines. Will Lion be different? And wouldn't the only dependency then be for 64 bit kernel extensions (kexts)?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:50:49 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Snow Leopard didn't default to the 64 bit kernel except on certain machines. Will Lion be different? And wouldn't the only dependency then be for 64 bit kernel extensions (kexts)?"

Lion defaults to a 64-bit kernel, and actually drops support for 32-bit only hardware. (Of which there isn't much in the Intel Mac world. Just the original Core-series processors. Core 2 and everything later supports 64-bit.)

And yes, the only new dependency this change directly creates is for 64-bit kernel extensions.

--

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:55:32 pm

Not entirely true.
Lion will run on the Mac Pro 1,1 (2006) using a 32 bit kernel. That model Mac Pro cannot run a 64bit kernel.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:58:17 pm

[John Pale] "Not entirely true.
Lion will run on the Mac Pro 1,1 (2006) using a 32 bit kernel. That model Mac Pro cannot run a 64bit kernel."

But it is 64-bit hardware. Apple just hasn't provided 64-bit drivers for some older gear.

--

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:58:56 pm

Correct. The 2006 Mac pro has 64 bit processors and can run 64 bit apps. Just not the 64 bit kernel. this may be an issue with some drivers, if third parties stop support fit 32 bit . For instance, right now you cannot buy an Nvidia card with CUDA on a 2006 Mac Pro. It requires a machine with EFI64 firmware.
I just meant to clarify that lion still will include a 32 bit kernel, but will now by default load the 64 bit kernel on machines that can use it.

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:40:57 pm

As you all know, Lion drops support for Rosetta. No PPC apps.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/26/mac_os_x_lion_drops_front_row...

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 8, 2011 at 10:38:42 pm

Interesting. According to that Apple Insider article, Snow Leopard does not come with Rosetta by default, so that might mean that FCP7 may actually be okay under Lion. I didn't install Rosetta and I was able to install FCS3 just fine on my 2011 Mac Book Pro.

Return to posts index

Bill Kelly
on Jul 8, 2011 at 10:55:10 pm

I got one of the new Imacs (with the Thunderbolt port) about a month and a half ago, didn't install Rosetta, and had no problems installing FCS2.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:26:46 am

If you have software that can only run in Rosetta, clone your drive (with Rosetta) now and boot off of it when you need to run that software.

The last PPC machine was made over 6 years ago. It wasn't going to be supported forever.

Return to posts index

Rahul Duggal
on Jul 9, 2011 at 1:49:04 am

FCP 7 runs just fine on Lion, its FCP 6 which is not supported on Lion as its installer is written in Rosetta.

Return to posts index

Paul Huppe
on Jul 10, 2011 at 1:22:37 pm

Any chance we might be able to get / install Rosetta as a separate app so that we could run PPC apps?

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 10, 2011 at 2:28:42 pm

[Paul Huppe] "Any chance we might be able to get / install Rosetta as a separate app so that we could run PPC apps?
"

No. Rosetta is EOL. It will not run under 10.8 Lion.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]