FORUMS: list search recent posts

If Premiere Pro was FCP8?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
If Premiere Pro was FCP8?
on Oct 4, 2017 at 7:55:34 pm

I've spent the last week editing on Premiere Pro and it got me thinking.

What is FCPX never happened and Apple had released something similar to the current Premiere Pro - would we have all been happy? Premiere Pro is very good, lots of stuff to like in it, I do prefer FCPX, for me it's more fun and faster to edit with, it's my my first choice to edit with every time, but honestly if it didn't exist I think I'd have been more than happy with a PPro-alike FCP8.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: If Premiere Pro was FCP8?
on Oct 4, 2017 at 8:00:53 pm

[Steve Connor] "What is FCPX never happened and Apple had released something similar to the current Premiere Pro - would we have all been happy?"

Yes.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Oct 4, 2017 at 8:12:18 pm

Resolve is the new FCP. Even has the same keyboard shortcuts. And stole some of its GUI from FCPX.
They included a little from Shake, plus enhanced editions of Color and Soundtrack Pro.

- No Parking Production -

3 x Adobe CC, 3 x iMac, 3 x MbP, 10 GB Ethernet File Server

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 4, 2017 at 10:07:47 pm

[Morten Ranmar]"plus enhanced editions of Color and Soundtrack Pro."

Resolve color grade tools are a bit more than an enhanced Color. Color was a good tool but it is not in the same league as Resolve for grading. And the Fairlight integration, when complete, will make Soundtrack Pro seem like a toy. I agree though that it is what everyone was expecting with FCP8. A complete edit & finishing tool without the roundtripping for Color or STP.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 4, 2017 at 10:07:51 pm

Without a doubt there would've been no resurgence by Adobe and I'd probably still be cutting on a mac. So in reality, things worked out better.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 5, 2017 at 5:24:02 am

[greg janza] "Without a doubt there would've been no resurgence by Adobe..."

I'll go one step further and say no resurgence by Adobe, no disruption in the market to give Avid some breathing room and no realistic room for another potential entrant like Resolve.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 5, 2017 at 5:41:26 am

[Andrew Kimery] "I'll go one step further and say no resurgence by Adobe, no disruption in the market to give Avid some breathing room and no realistic room for another potential entrant like Resolve."

Both Adobe and Resolve were in the game. Whether they would have developed the way they did is arguable. Obviously Avid were as well and yes I think they would have been in much more trouble if FCP8 had actually appeared in 2011. I suspect that Blackmagic were already on a trajectory to what they have become. Maybe Adobe would not have been so active in their development, sensing a chink in the market dominance. But Legend never went away and held a lot of market share and still does remarkably. FCP8, if it had appeared as rumored would have been a bigger worry to all the opposition than X was.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 4, 2017 at 11:18:49 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "And stole some of its GUI from FCPX."

Didn't really steal anything, from what I've heard they had some help from Apple, at least initially. All hearsay of course, but it makes sense. The fact that Resolve had native fcpxml import early on, and is now the only NLE that does is probably not a coincidence.

[Morten Ranmar] "and Soundtrack Pro."

I really don't get all the pining for STP, it had some great features, but I never used it to mix. The audio retiming/pitch preservation algorithm was amazing, and I have a feeling it's still alive in FCP X, which is also amazing. Anyway, Logic is way better for mixing/sound design etc, and it now, finally, imports/exports fcpxml very nicely.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 4, 2017 at 11:22:07 pm

[Steve Connor] "What is FCPX never happened and Apple had released something similar to the current Premiere Pro - would we have all been happy?"
[Oliver Peters] Yes."

Well yeah, 'cuz we wouldn't known there was a better way to do things... ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 4, 2017 at 11:26:38 pm

Regarding Resolve as "FCP8", I don't think they are there yet. The biggest missing feature right now is the lack of being able to open multiple projects or being able to import sequences from other projects. That's something Premiere Pro has also been weak on, although you can import sequences. In the upcoming version of Premiere Pro, you'll be open to open multiple projects. FCP7 was still best in that arena and X maintains that advantage.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 4, 2017 at 11:44:21 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The biggest missing feature right now is the lack of being able to open multiple projects or being able to import sequences from other projects."

Actually you can in Resolve using the Dynamic project switching function. On the project load page right click a project and select Dynamic Project Switching. Then you can open multiple projects and dynamically switch between them from the File menu. As each project switches you can copy single or multiple clips to paste back in any project or copy a whole timeline and paste that into another project. Not quite as elegant as tab switching in Legend but it is what you are asking for.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Oct 5, 2017 at 12:59:57 am

i think im the only person who doesnt like ppro. I dont why - i cant quite put my finger on it but it just feels kind of "janky" and that it could break any moment. Couple that with the constant audio dropouts, less than ideal interface (although very customizable), and a few other small naggy things - im not a huge fan. I was never super into FCP 7 either but thats what we had in college so I used it. Never really got payed to use it though once out in the job force.

That said I just took a staff gig using ppro full time so I have to dive in head first and I have and its getting better, and growing on me. Time will tell if it becomes a favorite and I use it on personal stuff but it defiantely seems like a natural progression to what FCP 8 couldve been and Im sure people who were never presented with X wouldnt have missed ti and carried on like normal.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 5, 2017 at 1:57:39 am

[Neil Goodman] "That said I just took a staff gig using ppro full time so I have to dive in head first and I have and its getting better, and growing on me."

As with anything new give it time. A buddy of mine was a die-hard FCP users but when the company he worked at finally when all PPro a couple of years ago I would get angry texts from him at least once a day saying how horrible PPro was (by this point I'd already been using PPro a couple of years). After about a month the texts stopped and now he really likes PPro. lol

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 5, 2017 at 2:32:52 am

Before Premiere Pro's rebirth a few years ago it was a completely janky product that was rarely used by any real professional.

So on the plus side, it's come a helluva long way in that it's now the dominant NLE. But it certainly has room for more improvement.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 5, 2017 at 6:37:33 am

[greg janza] "So on the plus side, it's come a helluva long way in that it's now the dominant NLE."

I haven't seen any figures that it's the "dominant NLE" have I missed something

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 5, 2017 at 8:14:33 am

[greg janza] "Before Premiere Pro's rebirth a few years ago it was a completely janky product that was rarely used by any real professional."

It has become very buggy since the CC. I find bugs in every new release. Some get fixed others do not.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 4, 2017 at 10:39:27 pm

[Steve Connor] "What is FCPX never happened and Apple had released something similar to the current Premiere Pro - would we have all been happy? Premiere Pro is very good, lots of stuff to like in it, I do prefer FCPX, for me it's more fun and faster to edit with, it's my my first choice to edit with every time, but honestly if it didn't exist I think I'd have been more than happy with a PPro-alike FCP8."

We have to also mention FCS.

Many people at the time had thought FCS would get a revamped GUI for all the FCS programs. Most people thought the revamped GUI would give all the FCS programs a uniform look like the Adobe products. Some people thought there might even be integration between Aperture and FCP 8. None of that happened.

What did happen!

Premiere went 64 bit. FCPX went 64 bit. Premiere Pro had great metadata. FCPX got metadata. Premiere Pro made use of the GPU. FCPX made use of the GPU. Premiere Pro was codec agnostic since I can remember. FCPX is codec agnostic.

FCPX does make use of Quick Sync Premiere Pro does not. We can talk about the magnetic timeline and roles layout of FCPX but we can also talk about Adobe Anywhere and Adobe Story. In the end it is all personal choice. Some people prefer roles with jelly and others like a hot biscuit with butter.

The video below might be interesting to some of you.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 5, 2017 at 4:57:58 am

Well, yea you would not know what you have missed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]