https://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/4909-remembering-final-cut-pro-7

It seems the author is pining for FCP 8 ☺

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Friday Night Fodder
on Sep 23, 2017 at 8:19:50 am

"Who knows where they could have been had they went on with Final Cut 8." ?

No wonder they didn't put their name to it :)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 23, 2017 at 4:05:23 pm

[Steve Connor] "No wonder they didn't put their name to it :)"

Do you mean the author of the article? It's in the first bolded paragraph.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jimmy Holcomb
on Sep 23, 2017 at 4:33:31 pm

Some additional weekend fodder,

Interesting rumors about new Mac Pro
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/waiting-for-mac-pro-7-1.1975126/page-2...

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Sep 23, 2017 at 6:19:19 pm

Move along, there is nothing to see here.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 23, 2017 at 10:40:54 pm

Man, some people cannot give up the damn ghost... Not sure what the point of this article really is. "Oh, if only they did this..."?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 24, 2017 at 6:52:03 am

Missing VHS and 3/4" too. Not.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 24, 2017 at 3:13:50 pm

Who knows where they could have been had they went on with Final Cut 8.
Final Cut Pro X of course! 😃

I can kind of see the point to the article. It is a eulogy for an application that wouldn't lie down years after it was pronounced dead! If people stopped using FCP 7 when it was discontinued then this article would either not exist, or would have been written 8 years ago but the fact is, that this application fundamentally came at a time when new technology like firewire and DV changed the way we edit video and dropping support for FCP 7 didn't change that. People did not stop using it. They continued to hang on to it until the inevitable day when it simply would no longer work. So it's a reflection on the dawn if a new way of working that change the video industry forever and the role that FCP 7 played in it. Of course it fails to acknowledge that there is now a better way to work called FCP X... but I digress.

Perhaps I have a different view on the article because this is what got me into video. Back in 1983, I took a course in college on TV production and I loved writing and producing shows but at that time you needed a big expensive studio with big expensive equipment to do it so I never continued it beyond college because my studies took me elsewhere. Then years later in 1998, I realized that, just like desktop publishing before it, I could shoot, edit, and produce videos with a DV camera and a desktop computer! That was a game changer for me. That's what got me back into video. I could now do it at home and the only thing holding me back was my imagination not my wallet. That was liberating.

So I think the author was acknowledging that the end of an era for some had finally arrived. Now for those of use who moved on to FCP X, that era ended 8 years ago. But I enjoyed reading the article for it's nostalgic value. It was a perfect storm of technology back then. Considering that I still have my original 48K Apple ][+ and Macintosh 128K in my basement... yea... I have a hard time letting go of the technology that fundamentally changed my life. 😉 (...ask my wife)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]