FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sure hope this place stays relevant...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Sure hope this place stays relevant...
on Sep 17, 2017 at 5:42:52 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Sep 17, 2017 at 5:48:39 am

Trying to keep stopping by here, but IBC is Rocking in Amsterdam and I'm in threads with 100s of posts debating and talking about FCP X elsewhere - and it's comparative crickets here.

That's kinda sad for me to see, really.

Maybe so much constant X hostility in the forum - and constant billboard posts featuring anything but X - has sunk into the markets consciousness and come home to roost.

That would be a bummer.

My landing page here, sorted by thread, yet again, doesn't show a single line featuring the letters FCP X on the front page.

Probably just my settings.

Oh well.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Sure hope this place stays relevant...
on Sep 17, 2017 at 7:28:11 am

[Bill Davis] "Trying to keep stopping by here, but IBC is Rocking in Amsterdam and I'm in threads with 100s of posts debating and talking about FCP X elsewhere - and it's comparative crickets here.
"

Where are these forums that are debating FCPX? I'm a keen FCPX user who's very interested in forums and all the forums and Facebook groups I follow are similar to the "other" FCPX forum here on the COW in that they are mostly about problem solving and how to use FCPX. I haven't found any that have the broad range of debate related to FCPX that you get here.

[Bill Davis] "Maybe so much constant X hostility in the forum - and constant billboard posts featuring anything but X - has sunk into the markets consciousness and come home to roost."

Almost every thread on here eventually references FCPX, even if it's about Adobe, also there's lot's of activity on the "other" FCPX forum here, there's no negativity there, yet I notice you don't seem to hang around there much.

[Bill Davis] "and it's comparative crickets here."

Strange, I count around 300 posts in here in the last 16 days, hardly "crickets"

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2017 at 12:22:17 pm

I'm not sure I understand Bill's original post. But if IBC is rocking, what's the FCPX-related news out of IBC?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 17, 2017 at 12:31:51 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I'm not sure I understand Bill's original post."

Wishful thinking that a a forum that gets great Google search rankings and doesn't only say nice things about FCPX is on it's way out :)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 17, 2017 at 3:23:44 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Bill Davis] "Trying to keep stopping by here, but IBC is Rocking in Amsterdam and I'm in threads with 100s of posts debating and talking about FCP X elsewhere - and it's comparative crickets here.
"

Where are these forums that are debating FCPX? I'm a keen FCPX user who's very interested in forums and all the forums and Facebook groups I follow are similar to the "other" FCPX forum here on the COW in that they are mostly about problem solving and how to use FCPX. I haven't found any that have the broad range of debate related to FCPX that you get here."

I had a spare hour so I'd thought I'd do a Google and Facebook search to try and find some of these great sounding discussions and I haven't really found much apart from the excellent fcp.co and problem solving forums and FB groups. Now I'm sure they are happening somewhere but if they aren't easy to find then that's not good news for other FCPX users?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 17, 2017 at 5:54:11 pm

[Steve Connor] "Where are these forums that are debating FCPX? I'm a keen FCPX user who's very interested in forums and all the forums and Facebook groups I follow are similar to the "other" FCPX forum here on the COW in that they are mostly about problem solving and how to use FCPX. I haven't found any that have the broad range of debate related to FCPX that you get here."

Sorry, but out of respect for this forum, I'm not going to link to other places and risk shifting the Cow traffic (that DOES want to discuss X rather than other NLE approaches) there.

But I'm in more than one debate thread elsewhere (focused on X) that have easily gained 150 debate posts or more in a couple of days.

Those are often populated with posts by facilities level FCP experts in larger global operations - none of whom we've been able to attract here.

My point is only that this place, (which could easily have become the runaway "go to" place for X debate measured by participation) - may be fading in particapatory significance to the broader FCP X community.

I've said before I feel that's due to a combination of relentlessly lingering hostility expressed here - plus the constant barrage of posts focused on other tools - but I know others don't see it that way.

We'll see what happens over time.

And yes, I am spending less and less of my relative time here, Steve.

I truly wish many of the very stimulating debates I've participated in elsewhere this week would have happened here. But they didn't.

That saddens me because I think the quality of the discussions here is still outstanding - but as robust as the Cow site traffic surely still is, there are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of highly participatory X users out there who will never read them -as it appears the "action" in the global X community has largely migrated elsewhere.

Sad to me, that's all.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2017 at 6:11:24 pm

[Bill Davis] "But I'm in more than one debate thread elsewhere (focused on X) that have easily gained 150 debate posts or more in a couple of days."

Clearly this means the "debate" is not settled and there's still a lot of resistance to X for whatever reason. Otherwise there wouldn't be such volume.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 17, 2017 at 6:25:24 pm

[Bill Davis] "That saddens me because I think the quality of the discussions here is still outstanding - but as robust as the Cow site traffic surely still is, there are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of highly participatory X users out there who will never read them -as it appears the "action" in the global X community has largely migrated elsewhere.
"

Maybe, but I'm not sure how they will find these mythical forums that are "elsewhere" ☺

[Bill Davis] "Sorry, but out of respect for this forum, I'm not going to link to other places and risk shifting the Cow traffic (that DOES want to discuss X rather than other NLE approaches) there.
"

That is a real risk because people can't participate in more than one forum very easily :)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2017 at 6:44:46 pm

[Steve Connor] "Maybe, but I'm not sure how they will find these mythical forums that are "elsewhere" ☺"

Bill likes to poke around on the "dark web" ☺

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 17, 2017 at 6:50:17 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Bill likes to poke around on the "dark web" ☺
"

Ha! It would explain why these very active FCPX forums are beyond the reach of Google search :)

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 17, 2017 at 7:58:03 pm

[Bill Davis] "I feel that's due to a combination of relentlessly lingering hostility expressed here"

I don't see this anymore..where's the hostility towards X? I see people discussing the merits and pitfalls of X, but hostility? Where?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 17, 2017 at 10:51:56 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Sep 17, 2017 at 10:55:02 pm

How about this (which I will copy/paste anonymously) from a last Wednesday post in a big forum with lots of X users...

"FCPX is just simply a joke"
And
"FCPX is an excellent NLE for wedding videos and your Instagram, but a professional workflow in professional environments? Not so much."

And it was posted by a young post professional who really should know better, not some noob.

I think that's pretty clear evidence the BS keeps flowing.

Or do you see things this way, Neil?

You guys might not see this type of things a ton here - because the general tone of respect fox X has totally flipped in this forum from where it was a few years back. But out in the wild, it's DEFINITELY still a virulent strain that continues to be spread.

The big difference is that where here some years back the pushback came from very few of us, this time that post was met with a pretty massive pushback with a cadre of well experienced X editors working on large pro projects in multiple countries weighing in quite forcefully.

Just sayin'

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 17, 2017 at 11:10:24 pm

It sure seems like criticism comes fast and furious in the online world so why even try to mitigate it? The responsibility for convincing the professional video world of the legitimacy of FCPX falls squarely and solely on Apple's shoulders.

And I'd argue that Apple has a larger issue starting to brew within the professional video world which is the abandonment of Apple altogether due to the delayed release of hardware that entices professionals to stay "in the fold."

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 18, 2017 at 1:15:51 am

[Bill Davis] "How about this (which I will copy/paste anonymously) from a last Wednesday post in a big forum with lots of X users...

"FCPX is just simply a joke"
And
"FCPX is an excellent NLE for wedding videos and your Instagram, but a professional workflow in professional environments? Not so much."

And it was posted by a young post professional who really should know better, not some noob.

I think that's pretty clear evidence the BS keeps flowing."

Please provide a link to what you a referencing.

Having said that what about the BS in the video link below from an editor who should have known better. I proved that to be false!

[Bill Davis] "You guys might not see this type of things a ton here - because the general tone of respect fox X has totally flipped in this forum from where it was a few years back. But out in the wild, it's DEFINITELY still a virulent strain that continues to be spread."

People have hate and hostility towards Avid and Premiere Pro but that does not bother you.

[Bill Davis] "The big difference is that where here some years back the pushback came from very few of us, this time that post was met with a pretty massive pushback with a cadre of well experienced X editors working on large pro projects in multiple countries weighing in quite forcefully."

What is your point? Many world class (perhaps self proclaimed) FCPX users bad mouthed the titling system of Premiere Pro. I proved that to be false. False information about Premiere Pro does not seem to bother you so why are you so concerned about FCPX? It seems like favoritism to me.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 18, 2017 at 6:29:40 am

[andy patterson] "Having said that what about the BS in the video link below from an editor who should have known better. I proved that to be false!
"

Are you going to mention this in EVERY single post you make???

[andy patterson] "Premiere Pro does not seem to bother you so why are you so concerned about FCPX? It seems like favoritism to me."

I know someone who does exactly the same thing for PPro, he even makes videos about it :)

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 18, 2017 at 7:30:44 pm

[Steve Connor] "[andy patterson] "Having said that what about the BS in the video link below from an editor who should have known better. I proved that to be false!
"

Are you going to mention this in EVERY single post you make???"

Bill has started several threads exactly like the one you are commenting now but that type or repetitiveness does not bother you. Having said that the video link was recently the topic of debate as someone mentioned. Many people badmouthed Premiere Pro. It demonstrates Bill has selective vision. I consider it worth posting in this thread.

[Steve Connor] "[andy patterson] "Premiere Pro does not seem to bother you so why are you so concerned about FCPX? It seems like favoritism to me."

I know someone who does exactly the same thing for PPro, he even makes videos about it :)"

Who in the Cow glorifies Premiere Pro? Please point them out. Who in the Cow starts threads every 6-7 weeks about people being hostile towards Premiere Pro? Who do you know like that?

I set the record straight! Sometimes with a video sometime with a comment. Isn't it good to eliminate the BS at the Cow? Shouldn't that be encourage around here rather than just spewing BS and useless rhetoric? Instead of glorifying FCPX Bill should demonstrate in a video how FCPX can do pancake editing better than Premiere Pro or something similar? Having said who on the Cow claims time and time again that Premiere Pro is revolutionary, amazing and innovative? Please call that person out for me. For the record I myself have bad mouthed Premiere Pro more than FCPX here at the Cow. I also have videos where I badmouth Premiere Pro. Having said that how many times have you badmouthed FCPX. Is it really wise for the pot to call the kettle black?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 18, 2017 at 8:16:55 pm

[andy patterson] "Bill has started several threads exactly like the one you are commenting now but that type or repetitiveness does not bother you."

Oh yes it does :)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 18, 2017 at 1:27:19 am

[Bill Davis]"How about this (which I will copy/paste anonymously) from a last Wednesday post in a big forum with lots of X users..."FCPX is just simply a joke" "

What keeps this forum relevant is that it has very little of that sort of low calorie trash opinion. You get the same sort of blanket agro diss at forums for all the NLE makers or on Facebook. What I like about this forum is that generally people are open to actual debate rather than closed mind mouthings. So if you want this forum to stay relevant then continue to engage with an open mind and genuine interest in all NLEs.

If FCPX posts are not so populous then maybe it's because the other NLE makers are releasing more interesting developments at the moment.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 18, 2017 at 2:15:30 am

You said "there's hostility here". I don't go on other FCPX or editing forums except a FB group here and there And no I don't feel that way.

Do people that do, yes most of peers. What can yo do?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 18, 2017 at 6:51:35 am

[Neil Goodman] "You said "there's hostility here". I don't go on other FCPX or editing forums except a FB group here and there And no I don't feel that way.

Do people that do, yes most of peers. What can yo do?"

Invite 100's (if not10's of thousands of people) to participate in an online discussion and there are bound to be some people that are jerks. It's just the nature of the beast. The weird idea some users have that X has somehow been singled out is baffling to me. In forums, Twitter, FB, etc., I follow FCP, Adobe and Avid and each user community has it's share of helpful and less-than-helpful users.

Go outside of editing and you see the same thing. Mac/PC, Chevy/Ford, Gibson/Fender, iOS/Android, Xbox/Playstation, Craftsman/Snap-on, Coke/Pepsi, etc.,. Post-purchase rationalization... it's a thing, and the relative safety and anonymity of communicating online empowers some people to be hostile in a way that they wouldn't be if communication face to face or over the phone.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 18, 2017 at 6:26:06 am

[Bill Davis] "You guys might not see this type of things a ton here - because the general tone of respect fox X has totally flipped in this forum from where it was a few years back. But out in the wild, it's DEFINITELY still a virulent strain that continues to be spread.

The big difference is that where here some years back the pushback came from very few of us, this time that post was met with a pretty massive pushback with a cadre of well experienced X editors working on large pro projects in multiple countries weighing in quite forcefully.
"

I find that comment VERY disrespectful to us experienced FCPX Editors who post on here

No we don't get that on here and the "cadre" of just as well experienced Editors on here who work on "large pro projects" would push back just as hard if someone did.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 17, 2017 at 2:23:14 pm

2 or 3 threads below is a huge thread that you didn't even comment on debating how to efficiently use Premiere vs FCPX. It's right up your alley and I think almost every post says FCPX. So yeah, it's your settings (what settings?). Maybe you're searching for fcp x and not FCPX.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 17, 2017 at 7:39:41 pm

In general, it's fun to read the many perspectives on FCPX and see that for many folks it's been a very successful NLE solution for them.

However, if any of the estimations of user numbers are to be trusted, the NLE marketplace is currently dominated by Adobe CC and FCPX is a niche player much like Media100 was many moons ago. So with lower numbers of users it would then make sense that there'd be a reduced number of forum posts overall.

There may also just be FCPX debate fatigue. I don't think most folks here are considering moving from one system to another since it's now been several years since the issue arose. The sifting out of the marketplace has happened and people have their tools and everyone seems to be doing well with whichever system they have chosen.

Personally I just like to keep up on new developments within each of the major NLE's. But without the acknowledgment that each system has it's merits and that each will serve an editor well the conversation gets dull quickly.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 17, 2017 at 7:49:52 pm

[greg janza] "However, if any of the estimations of user numbers are to be trusted, the NLE marketplace is currently dominated by Adobe CC and FCPX is a niche player much like Media100 was many moons ago. "

Niche??? Two Million seats isn't niche!!!

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/26/final-cut-pro-x-sales/

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 17, 2017 at 7:55:57 pm

[Bill Davis] "Maybe so much constant X hostility in the forum - and constant billboard posts featuring anything but X - has sunk into the markets consciousness and come home to roost."

Many of the threads talk about X but this is not an X exclusive forum. We have told you this several times already. Not to mention the fact that two Cow users constantly post video links about minor bugs in Premiere Pro (fixed bugs) in threads that have nothing to do about bugs. Their posts do not add anything to the conversation and it certainly does not bother you if people bad mouth Premiere Pro relentlessly. I could post YouTube videos of FCXP crashing because of bugs but what would be the point? There is a lot of hatred towards Avid and Premiere Pro but that certainly does not bother you. If anyone talks negatively about FCPX with honest criticism that bothers you but if someone out of ignorance bad mouths Premiere Pro or Avid you are OK with it. Once again this is the FCPX Debate forum not the Glorification of FCPX forum. Please learn to deal with it. As other have said there is a forum at the Cow dedicated to FCPX. You have no one to blame but yourself if you keep posting in the wrong forum or expect the FCPX Debate forum to change into the Glorification Of FCPX forum.

https://forums.creativecow.net/fcpx

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Sep 17, 2017 at 9:07:48 pm

There is a FCPX Facebook group and it is largely focused on question for new users of FCPX. Basically, does anyone under 30 use forums? I learn a lot from the two Cow X forums, may they live on an prosper. For me, the choice ship sailed long ago, when I invested the time to learn FCPX. Since I don't spend all my time editing, the possible benefits of learning a new editing program have to be weighed against the time required to learn to be efficient in it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 18, 2017 at 1:39:19 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Sep 18, 2017 at 1:41:51 am

[Claude Lyneis] "There is a FCPX Facebook group and it is largely focused on question for new users of FCPX. Basically, does anyone under 30 use forums? I learn a lot from the two Cow X forums, may they live on an prosper."

Actually there are half a dozen public FCP X Facebook groups and probably that many private ones that you might get an invitation to join if you exhibit expertise and a willingness to share it via contributions in the public ones.

The largest public one I visit is heading towards 30,000 members.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 18, 2017 at 2:15:08 am

I tend to think that FB is part of the issue. Or twitter or wherever. It's simply a better engine and interface for all this sort of thing. A one stop shop for all your groups, politics, fake news, friends and fake friends. I can mix my Cub Scout pack convos with my FCPX group alerts. And all with a cleaner, easier to share media (like videos and images) friendly interface. The cow forums aren't in competition with FB groups. The cow is in competition with FB.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 18, 2017 at 3:39:46 pm

Remember, there are only a few dozen "active" users here and their roles are well known. I would hardly take this as true data.

My bookmark is now on the FCPX Techniques site, where there are real users with real questions. I link here from there. Maybe this forum should be shut down as (a) there is no longer any debate and (b) not much about FCPX except from the usual suspects and the other NLE discussions can retire to the proper sites.

My humble opinion and I now wait for Tim's 12 paragraph blistering response! :-)

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 18, 2017 at 4:25:40 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "My bookmark is now on the FCPX Techniques site, where there are real users with real questions. I link here from there. Maybe this forum should be shut down as (a) there is no longer any debate and (b) not much about FCPX except from the usual suspects and the other NLE discussions can retire to the proper sites.
. "

Clearly not reading the forum much Scott as there is plenty of debate on here, there is always talk of FCPX and this IS the proper site for debating NLEs

As for shutting the forum down it would be a lot simpler if all the people whingeing and moaning about the content here just stayed away and left us all to it.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 18, 2017 at 4:28:38 pm

[Steve Connor] "As for shutting the forum down it would be a lot simpler if all the people whingeing and moaning about the content here just stayed away and left us all to it."

Sounds like a grand idea.

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 18, 2017 at 5:02:50 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "[Steve Connor] "As for shutting the forum down it would be a lot simpler if all the people whingeing and moaning about the content here just stayed away and left us all to it."

Sounds like a grand idea."

Although, to be fair, the FCPX "Techniques" forum is just now the FCPX forum so it wouldn't be out of it's remit to have FCPX user discussions there as we used to on the old Final Cut Pro Forum

I also think it would be fine to rename this forum "NLE Debates" or something similar to more accurately reflect what it is, but Tim's "da man" on this one and he's made his thoughts clear on the subject :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 18, 2017 at 6:54:44 pm

One thing I'm seeing is more and more posting on Facebook. TONS MORE than here or any other forum...even the official Avid or Adobe or Apple sites. More there than anywhere else. And that bothers me for one reason above all...

Those posts do not show up in google searches.

People googling their issue will hit Creative Cow posts from 7-10 years ago that solve their issue. Or just a few weeks ago. Some discussion happens and a solution is found and someone else has that and searches and BOOM, there you go. But Google doens't index Facebook forums, so no search results from there. And that means that the same question gets asked again and again and again more than ever before. And we can't say "Google it," because they do, and don't get anything because it's all on facebook. And searching on FB isn't all that intuitive.

That's my major gripe.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 18, 2017 at 7:07:38 pm

[Steve Connor] "I also think it would be fine to rename this forum "NLE Debates" or something similar to more accurately reflect what it is, but Tim's "da man" on this one and he's made his thoughts clear on the subject ☺
"

Try not to quote myself, but i'm too lazy to type it out again... 😉

[Andrew Kimery] "This forum, though, is dedicated to a debate about how Apple's 're-imagined' NLE experience compares/contrasts to the 'traditional' NLE approach used by MC, PPro, Resolve, Vegas, FCP Legend, Lightworks, etc.,.

Some others think that this place is a just general round-robin, NLE beat'em up forum, and want to given it a generic name that doesn't involve FCP X, but I think that ignores the unique philosophical underpinnings of X which are at the heart of the debate. Tim doesn't keep FCP X in the forum title as cheap way to swindle clicks from passersby, he keeps it in the forum title because this place is about how X's new philosophy compares to the pre-existing philosophy that almost all other NLEs use some variation of. "

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/97473

[Shane Ross] "Those posts do not show up in google searches. "

Agreed. The search-ability of social media typically sucks (especially with social sites constantly tweaking with how messages are displayed in each users' feed). This definitely erodes the amount of communal knowledge that is available.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2017 at 7:30:07 pm

[Shane Ross] "Those posts do not show up in google searches. "

They are also horribly threaded. Facebook is a terrible vehicle for forum style discussions.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 19, 2017 at 2:28:05 am

[Steve Connor] "[Scott Witthaus] "My bookmark is now on the FCPX Techniques site, where there are real users with real questions. I link here from there. Maybe this forum should be shut down as (a) there is no longer any debate and (b) not much about FCPX except from the usual suspects and the other NLE discussions can retire to the proper sites.
. "

Clearly not reading the forum much Scott as there is plenty of debate on here, there is always talk of FCPX and this IS the proper site for debating NLEs

As for shutting the forum down it would be a lot simpler if all the people whingeing and moaning about the content here just stayed away and left us all to it."

Amen!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]