FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio editing in FCPX and Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy patterson
Audio editing in FCPX and Premiere Pro
on Aug 31, 2017 at 7:50:38 pm
Last Edited By andy patterson on Sep 1, 2017 at 6:44:48 pm

I created the video below for my buddy Brian who wanted me to show him how to edit more efficient in Premiere Pro. I am hoping the video below makes Brian's life a lot easier and perhaps a few others as well. Having said that with any NLE you must use the correct tool for the task at hand. I will try to have a video that shows the difference between the GUI of FCPX and Premiere Pro soon.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: Audio editing in FCPX and Premiere Pro
on Sep 1, 2017 at 7:16:16 pm

While your video clearly shows your buddy was using an awkward approach to audio editing in PPro, I think it doesn't clarify much about whether one is better than the other. If someone is an expert in X, PPro, ProTools or whatever, they have figured out how to make it work. Personally, I find handling audio(with associated video) in X to be more intuitive than the track based approach, but that is just me. I have used Pro Tools for audio editing by itself and there the track approach has its appeal.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 1, 2017 at 7:55:50 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "While your video clearly shows your buddy was using an awkward approach to audio editing in PPro, I think it doesn't clarify much about whether one is better than the other"

I myself don't think FCPX is better or worse than Premiere as I stated in the video. Having said that I think there may be some confusion. Jesús Pérez-Miranda did the video. He is not my buddy. Brian thought the video really highlighted how inept Premiere Pro is compared to FCPX but Jesús Pérez-Miranda just wanted to sabotage Premiere Pro. I did not need to lock and unlock tracks or even use connected clips to perform the edits. Jesús Pérez-Miranda stated FCPX is much better than Premiere Pro time and time again in his video. His hole video is based on a false paradigm that if your NLE is in ripple edit mode by default it is a true NLE system. If it is not in ripple mode by default it is a linear system. That would make Pro Tools, Avid, Cakewalk etc. all linear editors. You can watch the whole video below. A lot of FCPX users like the video below even though it was created with false paradigms to make FCPX look awesome and make Premiere Pro look awful. My video should demonstrate to Brian that there is a much better way to edit when using Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Sep 2, 2017 at 2:16:24 am

Andy, that was a great video on how to edit your audio tracks without messing up the video and doing it efficiently, however, you missed the point I was trying to make. My challenge was not about editing audio. It was about moving video clips around the timeline with multiple audio tracks without messing with the audio and other video tracks. It is funny how you did not show that part of the video. That was the point of the whole post. So since you did not show what I was asking, I won't post on FCP.co

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 2, 2017 at 5:21:23 am

[Brian Seegmiller] " My challenge was not about editing audio. It was about moving video clips around the timeline with multiple audio tracks without messing with the audio and other video tracks. It is funny how you did not show that part of the video. That was the point of the whole post. So since you did not show what I was asking, I won't post on FCP.co"

Below is a quote from you Brian.

[Brian Seegmiller] "There is a lot more work with tracks. Seems like a no brainer to me, but to each his or her own. http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1864-the-fcpx-tour-ibc-videos-part....."

You stated there is a lot more work with tracks which obviously is not always the case.

As far as editing audio and video together you have to demonstrate how efficient FCPX actually is. Jesús Pérez-Miranda did not do that. He did not actually play the audio when he was editing willy-nilly. Do you think the audio is going to magically sound fantastic 100% of the time when you edit willy-nilly? Don't be fooled by a dog and pony show. Sometimes having the audio replace what was there is actually better than making the tracks get out of the way and overlap. I can set up scenarios where Premiere Pro would have the advantage and I can set up scenarios where FCPX would have the advantage. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve as the end result. Having said that you have to admit I was editing more efficient with Premiere Pro than Jesús Pérez-Miranda was able to edit using FCPX in a situation that he setup. That should be worth noting and give my video response much more credit considering I can easily set up scenarios where Premiere Pro has an advantage over FCPX.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Sep 3, 2017 at 12:19:27 am

Andy said , "You stated there is a lot more work with tracks which obviously is not always the case."

You only showed editing audio, NOT VIDEO!!! Let me repeat that, NOT VIDEO!!! Jesús Pérez-Miranda showed how moving video around does not mess with the tracks. You showed nothing of the sort. Let's see you move Video Clips around and not mess with audio.

Oh Hell, forget it!!!

I know FCP X is far from perfect but for me FCP X is my choice. Yes, I have used Premiere Pro and I don't like it.

I will move on.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 3, 2017 at 6:09:48 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 3, 2017 at 6:10:24 pm

Replace FCP 7 with any other track based NLE in the example. Nuff said.

And yes, it's futile Brian. Don't even try. 😉

- RK

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 9, 2017 at 7:59:04 pm

[Brian Seegmiller] "
You only showed editing audio, NOT VIDEO!!! Let me repeat that, NOT VIDEO!!! Jesús Pérez-Miranda showed how moving video around does not mess with the tracks. You showed nothing of the sort. Let's see you move Video Clips around and not mess with audio."

I only showed how Premiere Pro can edit audio easier than Jesus did in his demonstration because I did not want the video to be that long. Having said that editing the audio faster should have been enough for you to admit that Premiere Pro can edit audio as good if not better than FCPX and that Jesus's demo had some serious flaws. I have a new video up showing that I can move audio and video clips much easier than Jesus using Premiere Pro. I am not saying it is easier than using FCPX nor did I ever. I think you have to admit I did edit much more efficiently than Jesus considering he never completed either task using Premiere Pro and let the viewers think it was impossible to do the edit in Premiere Pro. I was able to complete both tasks very easy. How can you explain that Brian? Is Premiere Pro an inept editing system or can you admit Jesus's demo had a lot of user errors?

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Sep 10, 2017 at 9:51:59 pm

Andy, In on sentence you said, "I have a new video up showing that I can move audio and video clips much easier than Jesus using Premiere Pro" and then the next you say, "I am not saying it is easier than using FCPX nor did I ever"

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Sep 3, 2017 at 1:24:09 pm

I think the problem with your video Andy is that it's built on a false premise. That Miranda doesn't know how to use "ripple mode" in Pr. Or that others possibly don't.

EVERYBODY knows how to use ripple mode Andy (you didn't have to waste time making a video for that). Including Miranda who uses ripple mode about 5 mins into his video.

His point wasn't that Pr can't go into ripple mode (which he used in the video) his point was that ripple mode is the "default" in X and it isn't the default in Pr.

Now, if you would have just said, "Hey, going into ripple mode is not that big of a deal" I think most people would have agreed. It's not that big of a deal. We all did it all the time before X and before we met you ; )

I prefer the default Ripple mode. Not a big deal

Would you agree Brian? : ))

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 3, 2017 at 6:13:34 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 3, 2017 at 6:14:59 pm

[Tony West] "Now, if you would have just said, "Hey, going into ripple mode is not that big of a deal" I think most people would have agreed."

Only that PPro's "ripple mode" has absolutely nothing to do with FCP X's "ripple mode", which is in fact the magnetic timeline. ;) Only actually comparable to a very very small degree, as Jesús also explains perfectly.

- RK

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 3, 2017 at 6:56:04 pm

[Tony West] "I think the problem with your video Andy is that it's built on a false premise. That Miranda doesn't know how to use "ripple mode" in Pr. Or that others possibly don't."

He used the ripple mode when he should not have used it.

[Tony West] "EVERYBODY knows how to use ripple mode Andy (you didn't have to waste time making a video for that). Including Miranda who uses ripple mode about 5 mins into his video."

He used the ripple edit tool when he should have used the slide tool. The slide tool is what needed to be used to get the correct result. Jesús Pérez-Miranda could have shown the true capabilities of Premiere Pro but he opted to sabotage Premiere Pro instead.

[Tony West] "
His point wasn't that Pr can't go into ripple mode (which he used in the video) his point was that ripple mode is the "default" in X and it isn't the default in Pr. "

Who cares? What is the point? I did not need to lock and unlock tracks or use connected clips. Also I could group several audio clips really super easy. Jesús Pérez-Miranda created a false paradigm that if your NLE is in ripple edit mode by default it is a true NLE. If your NLE is not in ripple mode by default it is a linear editor. That is false paradigm. He later tried to edit in Premiere Pro using only the ripple edit tool. What if I edit in FCPX using only the blade tool? Would you consider FCPX a horrible program or would you consider it user error? Was there user error and a false paradigm used in Jesús Pérez-Miranda's demo?

[Tony West] "Now, if you would have just said, "Hey, going into ripple mode is not that big of a deal" I think most people would have agreed. It's not that big of a deal. We all did it all the time before X and before we met you ; )"

The problem is not the ripple mode. It is that Jesús Pérez-Miranda was trying to make Premiere Pro seem a lot hard than it really is. He spent four minutes trying to do an edit that I did in two seconds. Keep in mind he never completed the task in Premiere Pro.

Tony if you had stated "I agree that Jesús Pérez-Miranda was not trying to edit proficiently in Premiere Pro". Then I could agree with you. That is my point. How come I did a simple edit in a matter of seconds that he could not figure out in four minutes? Why do you think that is Tony?

[Tony West] "I prefer the default Ripple mode. Not a big deal "

There are times when FCPX will have an advantage and there are times when Premiere Pro has the advantage. It all depends on what the end result is.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Sep 4, 2017 at 5:25:50 pm

[andy patterson] "He used the ripple edit tool when he should have used the slide tool. "

He used that also. He slid it just like you in the same video you posted. Just before he popped back over to X

[andy patterson] "Who cares?"

I do.

Let me ask you this, when you cut in X are you in the select tool more often or in the position tool more often?

I bet you're in the select tool more often, and you know what that means? : )

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 4, 2017 at 9:12:59 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 5, 2017 at 7:02:25 am

[Tony West] "… and you know what that means?"

That's an entirely rhetorical question, right? Cuz I'd say that clearly answers itself. 😏

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 3, 2017 at 7:12:19 pm

[Tony West] "Now, if you would have just said, "Hey, going into ripple mode is not that big of a deal" I think most people would have agreed. It's not that big of a deal. We all did it all the time before X and before we met you ; )"

I think there is some confusion. You would not go into ripple edit mode to do the edit Jesús Pérez-Miranda was trying to do. Using the ripple edit tool is what made things extremely difficult. He needed to use the slide tool not the ripple edit tool. Does it make sense now?

If you would have sated "Jesús Pérez-Miranda set up a false paradigm and was not editing as proficient in Premiere Pro as he could have" I would agree with you. I did the edit in a matter of seconds. Jesús Pérez-Miranda took over three minutes and never did figure out how to complete the edit. Why do you think that is? I could edit in FCPX using only the blade tool. Would you think FCPX was a horrible program if I did a demo using only the blade tool or would you blame it on user error?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]