FORUMS: list search recent posts

How many of you use drones at work or for recreation?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy patterson
How many of you use drones at work or for recreation?
on Aug 30, 2017 at 1:34:39 am

What drones do you use and do you like them? Just curious.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: How many of you use drones at work or for recreation?
on Aug 30, 2017 at 7:24:16 am

Does this have anything to do with the FCP X debate?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 30, 2017 at 7:26:56 am

[Tero Ahlfors] "Does this have anything to do with the FCP X debate?
"

Here you go....I find that FCPX plays back the 4K footage from the DJI Mavic Pro better than Premiere Pro on my system.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 30, 2017 at 7:57:05 am

[Tero Ahlfors] "Does this have anything to do with the FCP X debate?"

Kind of but not so much as a debate. I was curious if anyone in these forums used drones. I was wondering what drones were being used more so than the software but all comments are welcomed by me.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 31, 2017 at 10:33:36 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "Does this have anything to do with the FCP X debate?"

X cuts Video.
Drones shoot video?
Close enough, right?
By the transitive property of THIS forum - that makes it germane I guess. (Just be nice and don't tell the folks in Field Production we're doing this here. That's where this sort of discussion would likely find a much more experienced class of voices and where the NLE Software is, as it should be, irrelevant.)

Personally, I will NEVER again invest in a non-core production technology I can't fully cover the cost of in 1-3 jobs out of a reasonable percentage of those specific jobs profits.

The pace of innovation has screwed up the idea of depreciation so totally today. Spend $1500 on a nice drone today - and in 6 months better capabilities cost $500 - and the old unit is close to obsolete cuz it's too big, too noisy, doesn't run long enough, runs on the wrong batteries, and didn't sell enough to guarantee a parts stream or whatever. Yes, it will still be perfectly useful. Great even. It just will feel "yesterday" to all who watch you operate it.

Heck, if it's really useful, Yongnuo will have one in a few months that does 90% of what the expensive one does - for $59.95.

It's stupid how it works today.

Buy it - use it on those couple of jobs - and try to SELL IT QUICK at under a 50% loss. Cost of doing business.

Sheesh.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 31, 2017 at 10:45:14 pm

[Bill Davis] "The pace of innovation has screwed up the idea of depreciation so totally today. Spend $1500 on a nice drone today - and in 6 months better capabilities cost $500 - and the old unit is close to obsolete cuz it's too big, too noisy, doesn't run long enough, runs on the wrong batteries, and didn't sell enough to guarantee a parts stream or whatever. Yes, it will still be perfectly useful. Great even. It just will feel "yesterday" to all who watch you operate it."

The Apple and Windows computers become obsolete as well but I enjoy using them. If it gives a person a little pleasure or makes a little extra money a drone might be money well spent. I certainly don't need all my guitars but I like having them.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 1, 2017 at 7:50:50 am

[Bill Davis] "The pace of innovation has screwed up the idea of depreciation so totally today. Spend $1500 on a nice drone today - and in 6 months better capabilities cost $500 - and the old unit is close to obsolete cuz it's too big, too noisy, doesn't run long enough, runs on the wrong batteries, and didn't sell enough to guarantee a parts stream or whatever. Yes, it will still be perfectly useful. Great even. It just will feel "yesterday" to all who watch you operate it. "

That is true to some degree, though if you can’t make a $1500 outlay back in 6 months with profit on top then you shouldn’t make the investment.

Also every man and his dog is now offering drone filming so there’s lots of competition

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Aug 30, 2017 at 7:47:32 am

I bought a 3DR Solo awhile ago. I then studied for and got my 107 license.
I use the drone in commercial projects. And yes, FCPX does great with the footage. I can edit the 4K easily, on my 2009 Mac Pro.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 30, 2017 at 8:03:28 am

[Gabe Strong] "I bought a 3DR Solo awhile ago. I then studied for and got my 107 license.
I use the drone in commercial projects."

Interesting. The 3DR seems like a nice drone for the price.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Aug 30, 2017 at 12:56:48 pm

Inspire 1 here. I use this aircraft for commercial and personal projects, and have a part 107 license. FCPX works well with the files I get out of the X3 or X5 camera, whether those files 4k or HD.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 30, 2017 at 7:20:26 pm

Do you remember how much you Inspire 1 costs with the cameras?

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Aug 31, 2017 at 12:30:50 am

I use the Phantom 4, also have the Part 107 certification.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Sep 1, 2017 at 6:49:55 pm

I have a $14.00 drone to fly around the living room. Does that count? Actually a reasonable trainer and maybe it will inspire me to go all in on a real drone. Still drone shots seem to be a specialty and good for a brief clip in whatever story you are trying to tell. Good for showing the devastation in Houston, though.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Sep 2, 2017 at 1:36:50 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "Good for showing the devastation in Houston, though."

Yes, but completely illegal. It is illegal to fly a drone in a disaster zone. Should it be? Don't know.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Sep 2, 2017 at 1:41:17 pm

Phantom 1, Inspire 1, Mavik, Phantom 4 Pro. 107 Licensed.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 2, 2017 at 5:03:00 pm

I think I am going to get the DJI Phantom 3 Standard for my first drone. I wish I could afford something better but the Phantom 3 seems like a good buy for just under $500.00.

Return to posts index

Michiel de Leeuw van Weenen
on Sep 3, 2017 at 10:21:25 am

Yes. Almost every gig needs a drone shot. I cant imagine to live without it. But...... for me its additional to all the other shots. The ronin-shots, the close ups, the action gopro shots. I need all of them to make a very dynamic film. Sometimes its Just 1 droneshot. Sometimes its 50% of the film. Also I like to use it very low. With the tripod-mode on the phantom you can use it as a giantic slider.
I have the Phantom 4 pro+.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 7, 2017 at 9:29:01 pm

I ordered the Phantom 3 Standard. I know it is not state of the art but I think it will make for a good first drone. I bought it for personal use as opposed to professional use but if I can manage to make a buck or two with it that is even better.

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Sep 8, 2017 at 12:21:51 am

If you are in the U.S. you cannot legally 'make a buck or two' with it until you get your part 107 license from the FAA........

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 11, 2017 at 3:35:02 am

[Gabe Strong] "If you are in the U.S. you cannot legally 'make a buck or two' with it until you get your part 107 license from the FAA........"

Is every state the same way?

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Sep 11, 2017 at 4:59:01 am

[andy patterson] "Is every state the same way?"

It's an FAA regulation, so it's the same in all states in respect to commercial use. There are also federal regulations about flying in specific airspaces, notifying/getting control tower ok within 5 mi. of an airport, as well as a ban on flying (technically "taking off") within any National Parks (whether commercially or not), among other things.

What can vary from state to state are regulations about drone use in specific places, like for state parks. Some are no, some are yes, some are yes with permit/permission, etc.

It also varies from county to county and city to city. For example, in my county, all county maintained parks require a permit and a (IMO totally unreasonable) $60/hr use fee, with a min. of 2 hrs. per use. The town I reside in (a suburb of KC) allows drones notwithstanding the other county and federal regulations, whereas another suburb 10 minutes up the road in the same county pretty much bans them everywhere. It can be kind of a mess trying to find a place to even fly sometimes.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Sep 11, 2017 at 8:56:37 am

To much government red tape to follow : (

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Sep 12, 2017 at 5:40:11 am

Yeah, as mentioned you cannot use a drone for commercial use in any state without the 107. However, it's not bad to get familiar with flying one for personal use to see if you are even interested in doing it commercially. If you end up getting a 107, bigger productions that need a drone pilot may sometimes hire you on. And they will often have a producer in charge of getting permits to fly in state parks or whatever you need, so it's not like you have to do all that yourself every time you fly. But yeah, you are correct, it's a lot of 'red tape' to deal with at times. That's why most people don't bother with it, because unless you really want to do a lot of it, it's more of a bother to get certified and deal with all the regulations than it is worth.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Sep 13, 2017 at 2:10:07 am

No one mentioned insurance. Certification with a 107 is required for commercial use but how is everyone insuring their flights? My insurance company, The Hartford, sent me a letter that they do not insure any form of drone...even if they had in the past. No more.

There are some companies that will insure a single shoot....so you essentially buy the insurance for a day.

So get your 107 and then check with your insurance company if you are insured for flying in case of any liability in case of an accident.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Sep 13, 2017 at 5:46:06 am

I use Verifly to insure any commercial drone flights. It works through an app on your iPhone. You start it when you start your flight. Easy to build the costs into any paid jobs. Plus I'm not paying some monthly insurance fee during months I have no drone work.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]