FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computational editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Computational editing
on Aug 26, 2017 at 9:22:47 pm

AI editing aka using a computer to edit badly. Adobe & Stanford research:

http://jnack.com/blog/2017/08/23/adobe-stanford-collaborate-to-automate-vid...

https://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/roughcut/

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Computational editing
on Aug 26, 2017 at 11:40:18 pm

Very interesting. I can see that drama or scripted corporate is the target here. I wonder how it would deal with documentary or unscripted improv.

Relevant to the recent discussions, it certainly seems to be better at editing that automatic grading is.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 26, 2017 at 11:49:44 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I can see that drama or scripted corporate is the target here."

My issue with all of these approaches is the time it takes to set up the rules in the first place. Without that, there's nothing. Presumably this could give you a viable first cut or even variations to evaluate. That's the approach Intelligent Assistance was taking with their First Cuts product. That was actually targeted at unscripted material.

However, when you skip the discovery process by reviewing the footage, you really don't know it well enough to know what you can and can't do. For example, in scripted content, I often end up using material between the slate and "action", and after the director calls "cut", but camera is still rolling. Presumably this material would be ignored in an automated approach.

And how do you evaluate nuance in performance?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 26, 2017 at 11:56:29 pm

[Oliver Peters] "And how do you evaluate nuance in performance?"

It boils down to time & money and 'good enough'. Personally I won't accept that but the market place might. Same goes for grading and sound post.

I was staggered how quickly the edit was achieved when the idioms were applied. They were rough but in another few years? Maybe we will just have AI generate a completely photo real scene with 3D animation, voice synthesis and edited to a simple script with idiom annotations. Before long the AI will be writing those scripts based on story telling idioms. We'll all be sitting in our nursing homes criticising the cut.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 26, 2017 at 11:53:40 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Aug 26, 2017 at 11:53:59 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Relevant to the recent discussions, it certainly seems to be better at editing that automatic grading is."

You expected them to target the thing that a fraction of the market needs - rather than something a vastly larger segment might be interested in?

Patience might be in order.

After the car becomes popular - an automatic transmission is likely to precede air conditioning.

Just saying.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 27, 2017 at 12:18:42 am

[Bill Davis]"You expected them to target the thing that a fraction of the market needs - rather than something a vastly larger segment might be interested in?"

Of course not. I do understand market forces. The point was that editing would be seen by many to be vastly more difficult to automate that grading. Demand for a feature has to be tempered by the cost and difficulty of achieving a result.

[Bill Davis] "Patience might be in order. After the car becomes popular - an automatic transmission is likely to precede air conditioning."

After a 42 year career at the bleeding edge I can assure you that I am the most patient I will ever be. I am not really interested in seeing automated editing, grading, scripting, mixing, animated performers or any of these AI trends so I have no need for the patience you proffer.

The wind down window preceded auto transmission by many decades. Clearly less functional air conditioning than current climate control, it was good enough for a whole generation. Just saying back.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 27, 2017 at 1:31:42 am

[Bill Davis] "You expected them to target the thing that a fraction of the market needs - rather than something a vastly larger segment might be interested in?"

They targeted something for which rules could be quantified. Easier to do when you are working with structure. Plus it might be something as simple as that was an area the researchers were most interested in.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]