https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207888

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Apple's official FCP7 EOL
on Aug 23, 2017 at 4:08:55 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Aug 23, 2017 at 7:27:06 pm

Code hasn't been touched in years already. For the die-hards who want legacy and High Sierra on one system:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-dual-boot-os-x-el-capitan...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Aug 23, 2017 at 4:59:01 pm

I have the luxury of owning an older 2011 iMac running Snow Leopard, and the final iteration of FCStudio, 7.0.3 which is very stable. It is ideal for opening old FCP7 projects and rendering out QuickTime files with effects or titles that don't quite port over to FCPX. Also, it has an onboard SuperDrive, so I do my DVD Studio Pro and disk burning. I hope it runs for a good long while!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 23, 2017 at 5:09:26 pm

I have to hand it to Apple, I thought this would come much sooner. At this point, if you still want to run legacy, then stick with an older OS.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 23, 2017 at 5:44:30 pm

Meanwhile both Adobe and Avid are doing a good job of replacing Quicktime dependencies within their tools.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 23, 2017 at 6:04:53 pm

One less thing to debate.

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 23, 2017 at 6:39:04 pm

http://nofilmschool.com/2017/08/death-comes-final-cut-7

The interesting tidbit here is

...there are companies and even TV shows (See House of Cards) that continue to use it on a day to day basis. Those companies now either need to stop updating their OS or move on from Final Cut.

House of Cards was being cut on FCP7?!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 23, 2017 at 7:18:07 pm

[Craig Seeman] "House of Cards was being cut on FCP7?!!!"

Yes, it was used on Season 1 with some fanfare. I guess they stuck with it to the end because, well, it worked, and the editors knew it. Very "Avid" mentality.

I too have an older machine with and older OS and FCP 7, for the clients who keep using it. But in my mind, it's been DOA for nearly 7 years..

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 23, 2017 at 7:28:49 pm

It actually has zero to do with FCP7 and is just a consequence of architectural updates in High Sierra. There are also a sea of 32-bit only apps about to cease functioning in iOS 11 as well.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 23, 2017 at 11:32:01 pm

First the eclipse, then FCP7, and now Speedgrade:

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/professional-color-at-adobe-past-pres...

Oh, the horror!

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2017 at 11:57:01 pm

What bums me out is that the Speedgrade "Widget" never made it to anything in Pr or Ae.

It was such an efficient UI tool.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 24, 2017 at 3:04:53 am

The article is notable for not mentioning the real reason. Resolve has totally dominated the grade market over the past six years. I got CS6 and looked at Speedgrade. It was not well implemented and the pace of developments at BM shot Resolve into a handy lead. Given the Resolve free or not much pricing, I think Adobe gave up long ago and did the sensible thing of improving Pr by importing the IP from Speedgrade with Lumetri grading.

As grading only needs to be good enough for many, it is a wise move to bury Speedgrade now that parts of it have migrated. Send to round tripping is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 24, 2017 at 3:54:54 am

People here sure are a nostalgic bunch. I never used Speedgrade and I haven't used FCP7 in so many years that I can't even remember the year I last used it. What's next, nostalgia for Cyberduck or mpeg streamclip?

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 24, 2017 at 4:21:10 am

I was recently looking at an old FCP7 project and still have it on my Mac running Sierra. I got the FCP7 project open, made an XML file, converted it using SendtoX, opened it in FCPX and it seemed to all work. I guess that conversion option will disappear in High Sierra, because step 1 is to open it is FCP7, unless I make a bootable disks with Sierra on it.

Actually, the biggest challenge, was trying to remember how to do anything in FCP7.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 24, 2017 at 5:37:35 am

[greg janza]"People here sure are a nostalgic bunch. I never used Speedgrade and I haven't used FCP7 in so many years that I can't even remember the year I last used it. "

Nostaligia? These are present realities for those of us who are still getting the majority of their projects from FCP7 to grade & sound post. Just because you have no need doesn't mean it is a non issue.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 24, 2017 at 12:15:26 pm

[greg janza] "or mpeg streamclip?"

Too late.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 24, 2017 at 4:30:33 am

[Michael Gissing] "The article is notable for not mentioning the real reason. Resolve has totally dominated the grade market over the past six years. I got CS6 and looked at Speedgrade. It was not well implemented and the pace of developments at BM shot Resolve into a handy lead. Given the Resolve free or not much pricing, I think Adobe gave up long ago and did the sensible thing of improving Pr by importing the IP from Speedgrade with Lumetri grading.

As grading only needs to be good enough for many, it is a wise move to bury Speedgrade now that parts of it have migrated. Send to round tripping is rapidly becoming a thing of the past."

Agreed. Speedgrade quickly turned into a strip it for parts project because there's no point in trying to compete w/a app like Resolve when it's free.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 24, 2017 at 12:14:39 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Agreed. Speedgrade quickly turned into a strip it for parts project because there's no point in trying to compete w/a app like Resolve when it's free."

Too bad that Apple didn't take that approach with Color. ☺

But, when Adobe acquired SG, I don't believe BMD was yet offering Resolve for free. At that point, SG within the Adobe family made sense. Once you get out there with a full-featured free app, it makes it harder to justify the cost of a standalone tool. Not just because you are competing against free, but also because the market for grading tools has changed.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Aug 24, 2017 at 3:35:17 pm

Lumetri with a control surface is delicious.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 24, 2017 at 4:01:34 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Lumetri with a control surface is delicious.
"

The Lumetri integration in PPro is very good, If Apple aren't going to improve the colour board themselves then I think they should at least give developers a better way of integrating their CC plugins rather than the clunky floating windows we get at the moment.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 24, 2017 at 4:31:55 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Lumetri with a control surface is delicious."

I didn't know you could use the Lumetri panel with a control surface. Which one do you use?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Aug 24, 2017 at 6:54:33 pm

Tangent Ripple is one.

http://www.premierebro.com/blog/tangent-ripple-review-the-lumetri-color-pan...

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 24, 2017 at 7:02:23 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Tangent Ripple is one.

http://www.premierebro.com/blog/tangent-ripple-review-the-lumetri-color-pan.....

----------------"

Apparently the Ripple will be supported by "Chromatic" in FCPX soon as well

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 24, 2017 at 7:08:37 pm

[Steve Connor] "Apparently the Ripple will be supported by "Chromatic" in FCPX soon as well"

FWIW Color Finale Pro can be used with all of Tangents panels.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 24, 2017 at 7:14:55 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Tangent Ripple is one.

http://www.premierebro.com/blog/tangent-ripple-review-the-lumetri-color-pan....."

That's also very cool - I've never used a control surface for grading, but I've gotten more curious about them since the release of Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve Micro Panel. I've always used mixers for audio, and pen/tablet for digital drawing, so lately, I've been wondering if I'm missing out by not using a control surface with Resolve and the Lumetri Panel in AE and Premiere Pro. It seems worth looking into.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 24, 2017 at 5:12:31 pm

[Oliver Peters] "But, when Adobe acquired SG, I don't believe BMD was yet offering Resolve for free. At that point, SG within the Adobe family made sense"

Yeah, I keep forgetting that SG was added so long ago. I really didn't start paying attention to it until they implemented Direct Link.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 24, 2017 at 6:32:09 pm

i just learned about this product. From the reviews it sure seems like it works.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 24, 2017 at 6:46:52 pm

[greg janza] "i just learned about this product. From the reviews it sure seems like it works."

Wow, that's cool. I'll have to look into this system further.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 24, 2017 at 9:54:05 pm

[greg janza] "i just learned about this product. From the reviews it sure seems like it works."

I bought the Pallette because it has the ability to delete all effects in a selected range of clips - something that cannot be done in Ppro in any other way - no keyboard commands or mouse clicking can do this. As far as I can see this is the ony such instance of a "mssing" Ppro command being available with the Palette.

If you want it to control things like opacity levels, clip or track volume levels, or any of the Lumettri controls it works pretty well - there's some latency issues and at times Ppro "forgets" that it's there and has to be reminded by going to the Extensions command in Ppro, but it works.

You can order any combination of Buttons, Faders and Rotating dials that you want. I've ended up only using the Buttons on a regular basis and rarely use the fader or dials, so I would suggest if you want to try it you go slowly and see what works for you.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 25, 2017 at 12:19:29 am

[Herb Sevush] "I bought the Pallette because it has the ability to delete all effects in a selected range of clips - something that cannot be done in Ppro in any other way - no keyboard commands or mouse clicking can do this. As far as I can see this is the ony such instance of a "mssing" Ppro command being available with the Palette."

I think it is great to see new hardware. I really think the Surface Dial adds a new way to interact with the OS and software programs. It can work with other Windows devices but not at the same level as it can with the Surface Studio.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 25, 2017 at 3:58:32 am

[Herb Sevush] " I would suggest if you want to try it you go slowly and see what works for you."

thanks for the review Herb. I may try it out.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 25, 2017 at 6:06:10 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Yeah, I keep forgetting that SG was added so long ago. I really didn't start paying attention to it until they implemented Direct Link."

The round trip workflow between Premiere and Speedgrade had quirks but was really a nice way to work. Press a button and your sequence appears in Speedgrade with all its full-feature grading tools at your disposal. Finish grading, save and your sequence appears in Premiere with your grading effects implemented as Lumetri color FX. Everything, including key-framed masks comes over. Super convenient, especially if you need to re-tweak your sequence. The Lumetri panel is good but it's got a long way to go before it does everything Speedgrade could. Of course, with Resolve's NLE getting better with every release, it may be that Resolve winds up being the best of both worlds.

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Aug 26, 2017 at 2:19:23 am

Just had a client from 7 years ago say they wanted to update and add on to an old FCP7 Project (we use Premiere Pro Now) Popped open 7 -- XML out - open in Premiere -- 90 percent carried over (remember Live Type....yeah that doesn't translate) Some CC didn't either and specialty transitions

but ..very easy otherwise.

Apple - come on - just make a widget that opens FCP7 Project and creates a universal XML - can't be that hard -- Premiere Opens them without any translation

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 26, 2017 at 4:11:25 pm

[Andy Field] "Apple - come on - just make a widget that opens FCP7 Project and creates a universal XML - can't be that hard -- Premiere Opens them without any translation"

Seriously? If you still need that over six years later, spending a measly 10 bucks (for a far better translation btw) is somehow asking too much?

Oh yeah, "pros".

🙄

- RK

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 26, 2017 at 5:29:52 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Seriously? If you still need that over six years later, spending a measly 10 bucks (for a far better translation btw) is somehow asking too much? Oh yeah, "pros"."

I think the problem is extracting data from .fcp files without FCP7, not reading XML files.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 26, 2017 at 5:32:18 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Seriously? If you still need that over six years later, spending a measly 10 bucks (for a far better translation btw) is somehow asking too much?"

I think you misunderstood the request. The issue is getting access into FCP projects if you don't have FCP 7 running any longer. See this article:

https://www.provideocoalition.com/apple-please-create-xml-utility-provide-a...

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 26, 2017 at 5:41:58 pm

Would it be fair to say that if you were running FCP7 and had clients with projects on FCP7, you should have migrated them to X or Premiere a long time ago? I mean, you all knew this day was coming. The writing was clearly on the wall. Perhaps it's not 'shame on Apple', but 'shame on the editor who did not see this coming and migrate projects a long time ago'?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 26, 2017 at 6:03:26 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Perhaps it's not 'shame on Apple', but 'shame on the editor who did not see this coming and migrate projects a long time ago'?
"

I gotta agree. FCP7 is simply ancient and so there's no need for any company to maintain any level of support for it.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 26, 2017 at 6:28:43 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Would it be fair to say that if you were running FCP7 and had clients with projects on FCP7, you should have migrated them to X or Premiere a long time ago?"

Actually, no it's isn't fair to say that. The more common scenario is that a client provides you with an old project - possibly done elsewhere - that they'd like you to leverage. If you've abandoned FCP7 years ago, what's the solution? Say "no"? Find a friend with FCP7? Something else?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 26, 2017 at 6:42:38 pm

[Oliver Peters] " If you've abandoned FCP7 years ago, what's the solution? Say "no"? Find a friend with FCP7? Something else?
"

My first approach would be to attempt an xml export of the main timeline in fcp7 and then attmpt to rebuild in Premiere. I have an older mbp that still has fcp7.

An alternative to that time consuming process would be to attempt to work from a pro-res master of the project instead.

Either way it's going to require re-constituting and re-building and so it really would depend on the client budget for dealing with such an old project.

But realistically, how relevant is a video made 5-10 years ago going to be? Most likely a client is going to want to update that project with new content so that the product they put to the world out doesn't look old or dated.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 26, 2017 at 7:16:04 pm

[greg janza] "But realistically, how relevant is a video made 5-10 years ago going to be? Most likely a client is going to want to update that project with new content so that the product they put to the world out doesn't look old or dated."

I've received FCP "legacy" projects finished within the last 2 years (still).

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 26, 2017 at 8:32:46 pm

[Oliver Peters] " If you've abandoned FCP7 years ago, what's the solution? Say "no"? Find a friend with FCP7? Something else?"

Exactly. "Mr/Ms Client, that project was done on a software that was committed to death 6 years ago. We can bring it back to life, but I will need to find a facility to bring it up to a modern NLE. Gonna take a little time and budget, but we will get it 90% there".

Or, if its a regular client, you should be in front of them 5 years ago saying "we need to migrate this to ..."

Sitting doing nothing is not an acceptable answer.

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 26, 2017 at 11:25:01 pm

I still get docos cut on FCP7 for post. I still have my 2009 Mac Pro, Snow Leopard with Legend sitting in the corner in case I need to open a 7 project up. Thankfully I rarely need to but the software is very much alive in the world despite EOL.

All that said, I can't blame Apple for developing an OS that dumps 32 bit software and I am glad Quicktime is all but dead. Apple has always cared less about backwards compatibility and so none of us should be surprised. However the notion that old projects have no value is part and parcel of a general attitude about archiving. Having worked on many programs over the years that source old films and TV footage, I can see that the last twenty years will provide a challenge when people are wanting to make films in the future that look for archive from this era.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Apple's official Pro Apps compatibility chart for High Sierra
on Aug 27, 2017 at 10:28:14 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 27, 2017 at 10:32:42 am

[Oliver Peters] "See this article:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/apple-please-create-xml-utility-provide-a....."

Oh right. It's totally Apple's fault and responsibility. Those jerks! [/s]

So… where was Adobe's Freehand converter again?

I'm 100% with Scott on this one. And yeah, I would in fact say "Find someone else if you insist on it being done in/through 7 in spite of all the other far more viable options" if push came to shove. At least I for one am not that hard up for work. Others may be. In which case they can just do what Michael has. Simple enough.

I find the (original) title of this thread completely nonsensical and misleading btw. FCP 7 was officially EOLed over six years ago. That page does nothing but state the system requirements for the most current versions of the Pro Apps. FCP7 is just as dead or alive today as it was on June 27th 2011. Completely aside from the fact that I don't see how anyone still stuck on 7 of all things could even give two hoots about their version of OS. Because if that is in fact an issue, then it's purely self-made, plain and simple imho.

- RK

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 27, 2017 at 10:33:37 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Completely aside from the fact that I don't see how anyone still stuck on 7 of all things could even give two hoots about their version of OS. Because if that is in fact an issue, then it's purely self-made, plain and simple imho.
"

Exactly!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 28, 2017 at 5:11:20 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Completely aside from the fact that I don't see how anyone still stuck on 7 of all things could even give two hoots about their version of OS. Because if that is in fact an issue, then it's purely self-made, plain and simple imho."

I understand the plight that FCP7 users find themselves in. A new machine will not run the old OS, so if their older computer dies, they are out of luck.

In retrospect, best practice for closing out a job should have included exporting XML. But prior to the release of FCPX, .fcp files were forward-compatible, so I can understand why people were not kicking out XML on each job as a matter of course.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Oh right. It's totally Apple's fault and responsibility. Those jerks! [/s] So… where was Adobe's Freehand converter again?"

I agree with you that it's unreasonable to expect indefinite support from any developer for legacy software.

But on the other hand, Apple could have done something, anything, to ease the transition from FCP7 to FCPX.

Adobe managed the FreeHand/Illustrator transition by shipping a FreeHand importer with Illustrator from (IIRC) CS3 - CS5. That's almost 5 years of FreeHand support. Of course it didn't always work perfectly, but at least you got something. The other A's (Autodesk and Avid) are luminaries in forward-compatibility. You can open decades-old archives and bins with today's releases.

FCPX is exceptional in our industry, in many ways. One of them is its lack of any legacy support at all -- but we are 6 years into FCPX, so this should take no one by surprise.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Aug 28, 2017 at 7:18:20 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Robin S. Kurz] "Seriously? If you still need that over six years later, spending a measly 10 bucks (for a far better translation btw) is somehow asking too much?"

I think you misunderstood the request. The issue is getting access into FCP projects if you don't have FCP 7 running any longer. "

Exactly.

I've been using FCPX for new projects for 5+ years, and have migrated several projects from FCP 7 and PPro via XML when possible. However, I've got 10 prior years of FCP Legacy projects (hundreds of them, in fact) that *probably* won't ever need to be opened again. Probably. Just in case, I keep a 2011 cheesegrater frozen at 10.9.x with the entire legacy suite. Had to crack open a 2004 event edit last week.

A simple converter/exporter for these old files would allow me to replace that old tower without worry. It just isn't practical to go back and open all of those projects to export XML.

Doug Metz

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 27, 2017 at 4:59:26 pm

[Andy Field] "Apple - come on - just make a widget that opens FCP7 Project and creates a universal XML - can't be that hard -- Premiere Opens them without any translation"

I doubt Apple will make this but I'll bet Philip and Greg at Intelligent Assistance could if there was enough of a demand.

http://www.intelligentassistance.com/index.html

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 28, 2017 at 7:55:36 pm

[David Lawrence] "[Andy Field] "Apple - come on - just make a widget that opens FCP7 Project and creates a universal XML - can't be that hard -- Premiere Opens them without any translation"

I doubt Apple will make this but I'll bet Philip and Greg at Intelligent Assistance could if there was enough of a demand.
"

Seems to me that would require a virtualization of the Entire FCP Legacy code inside such a translator wouldn't it? Cuz without that, how do you capture all the potential states of an edit FOR translation?

And if I'm conceptualizing this correctly (tho probably not, but it's a fun thought exercise!) - what possible point would there be for Apple to make the source code for Legacy openly available like that? It's got to have sub-routines buried in it that were sub-licensed or otherwise IP protected.

How do you handle paying the royalties on distributing the embedded IP?

Seems like one big rats nest to avoid.

Much easier just to move on.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 29, 2017 at 12:10:40 am

[Bill Davis]"Seems to me that would require a virtualization of the Entire FCP Legacy code inside such a translator wouldn't it?"

No. Most translate software simply needs to map the information in one format to another format. I have AAT software that can translate a lot of audio transfer protocols like AES31, AAF, OMF and custom project formats like ProTools, Reaper, Sadie etc etc. So I can map a Sadie project to an OMF or AAF optimised for Fairlight. AAT is a small down loadable software package and the entire source code of each proprietary system is not needed. Just the ability to understand the project file's structure and how to map that to a different project file structure like xml. It has nothing to do with sub licensing IP . Think of it more like a database format conversion.

Moving on is not an option for many so this tool may be viable.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 29, 2017 at 10:12:28 am

Thank you so much for the recommendation of AATranslator, Michael.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au/

This is going to help a lot.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 29, 2017 at 10:38:20 am

Pleasure Simon. Clever software.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 29, 2017 at 1:20:56 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Clever software."

Very, very clever software with an incredible range of translation options, but even more amazing support from Michael Rooney.

Since I posted my comment a few hours ago, he has already run me a test that confirms this is going to be a perfect solution for one of our biggest workflow headaches.

Thanks again.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Aug 29, 2017 at 7:52:01 pm

So do i understand this correctly AATranslator will

1 open a FCP 7 PROJECT FILE
2 without FCP on the system
3 -give you the option to create an XML that can be read in Premiere and or FCP X and others?

if so that is very cool

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 29, 2017 at 9:37:38 pm

So has theis thread revealed the golden ticket that everyone's been looking for?

Just asking.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Aug 29, 2017 at 10:35:55 pm

[Andy Field] "So do i understand this correctly AATranslator will

1 open a FCP 7 PROJECT FILE
2 without FCP on the system
3 -give you the option to create an XML that can be read in Premiere and or FCP X and others?

if so that is very cool"

No, AAT is audio project conversion only... no video, nothing to do with FCP directly. Would be cool though.

[Bill Davis] "So has theis thread revealed the golden ticket that everyone's been looking for?

Just asking."

Not for Legacy, but a really cool audio tool came to light.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 29, 2017 at 11:44:10 pm

To allay any confusion AAT is not opening any NLE project files. As an audio converter it opens xmls and lots of proprietary DAW project files as well as the standard OMF, AAF & AES31. It can translate audio only to and from a big variety of formats but it isn't a video & audio translator.

However it is an example of how translator software can read native project files, in this case from a range of DAWs and convert them. Perhaps they might be interested in adding FCP7 project files to an xml output. Certainly worth asking them. They are amazing with support and feedback. The sticking point may be Apple sharing the file format hooks but who knows if these clever guys can't reverse engineer.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Aug 30, 2017 at 12:53:58 am

Even though I converted to FXPX more or less with version 10.0, I've kept FCP 7 on my MacPro 2013 and MacPro 4,1. Since the 4,1 will not be making the leap to High Sierra, I will leave FCP7 on that machine. To be honest, I've rarely had to open FCP7 in the last several years and when I did, I used 7toX and got the hell out of there as soon as possible. It always feels the same when I open Premiere - i.e. THE PAST. I know everyone's excited about Resolve editing, but I feel the track based paradigm has lost the luster (for me, at least) and FCPX offers a much more modern foundation (and is way more fun.)

At this point, I can't imagine many people, apart from forensic experts, nostalgia buffs and archivists, wanting to open FCP7 projects, so I have had no expectation that Apple should keep it supported after more than half a decade of warning. Based on a boat-load of old code and QT7, FCP7 has been on thin ice for a while and anyone who didn't take the hint is putting their professional life in their hands and is living dangerously.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 30, 2017 at 1:14:02 am

[Paul Golden]"At this point, I can't imagine many people, apart from forensic experts, nostalgia buffs and archivists, wanting to open FCP7 projects,"

Whether you can imagine it or not, there are still an astonishing number of broadcast documentaries being cut on 7. As a doco post finisher I still get more from FCP7 than Pr, Avid & X (in that order). I also agree that Apple should be moving on and not supporting old 32 bit programs. But please don't imagine that a lot of people are not now wondering how to get around the conundrum of an OS that officially kills a much loved and still well used software.

Love it or hate it it doesn't alter the fact that this is a real and relevant issue for many.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Aug 30, 2017 at 1:53:45 am

I'm sure that Apple, if anyone, has done the numbers on current FCP7 users, and has concluded there are not enough left by now to justify additional resources. It should still work more or less identically if we don't upgrade our machines.

As an owner of a vast array of tube amplifiers and turntables and the owner of one car from 1988 and another from 1999, I'm the last guy who would get on his high horse about staying "current".

There were features I liked better on my Palm Treo, but the iPhone was such an improvement in other regards that I did not regret my decision to move on. Considering that Premiere is a near clone of FCP7 (or maybe FCP8), I think we've got enough similar alternatives to get our work done if we feel inclined to move on to the next operating system. No doubt that FCP7 has little niceties that have no direct equivalents , but for my workflow, which is primarily commercials and VFX, I don't miss it at all.

As an aside, did Apple's announcement that FCP7 would no longer work on HS mean that was the date when "official" support ends or did Apple stop supporting FCP7 (tech support) a long time ago?

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 30, 2017 at 6:04:46 am

[Paul Golden] "Considering that Premiere is a near clone of FCP7 (or maybe FCP8), I think we've got enough similar alternatives to get our work done if we feel inclined to move on to the next operating system."

Funny : )

Why not just say Key Grip/FCP was a clone of Avid? Why give Apple credit?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 30, 2017 at 12:45:55 pm

[Paul Golden] "I'm sure that Apple, if anyone, has done the numbers on current FCP7 users, and has concluded there are not enough left by now to justify additional resources. "

Apple doesn't work that way. They made a decision in the very beginning of X, not to enable a conversion through their own resources. They could have, but didn't for what are probably a variety of internal reasons. Some of which we might actually agree with if we knew what they were, and others, we wouldn't.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 31, 2017 at 10:14:40 pm

Paul noted:
[Paul Golden] "left by now "

Oliver noted

[Oliver Peters] "decision in the very beginning of X"

Two different eras involved.

Paul is talking about the present.

Oliver is discussing what happened 6-10 years ago.

It's odd, that so many people who diss X (in general, not Oliver!) do so while clearly dragging around the residual personal hurt of 2011. I see it ALL the time when debating with people on other boards.

Say one nice thing about X - and it triggers them to re-litigate the launch or the first year of X over and over ad nauseam..

It's almost as if they had a narrative that made them feel righteously indignant - and now nothing will move them off those feelings - even in the face of a new situation.

It's a little weird.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 1, 2017 at 7:45:35 am

[Bill Davis] "It's almost as if they had a narrative that made them feel righteously indignant - and now nothing will move them off those feelings - even in the face of a new situation.

It's a little weird."

Yes it is Bill, it really is :)

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 31, 2017 at 5:51:46 am

[Paul Golden] "I'm sure that Apple, if anyone, has done the numbers on current FCP7 users, and has concluded there are not enough left by now to justify additional resources."

Apple's market valuation has hovered around $800 billion this year so the notion that Apple has any real stake in FCPX much less FCP7 is wishful thinking. Video post is a niche market at best in comparison to their real business.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Aug 31, 2017 at 12:35:35 pm

My point is not whether FCP is a significant part of Apple's business ( of course it's not), but simply that as a business unit, they must have some metrics regarding user base and make business decisions based on that. There are likely not enough users at this point to justify substantial (or any) resources to ensure continued support.

With all software, you are welcome to live in whatever part of the past you'd like, but don't expect it to play nice with an ever changing present.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 31, 2017 at 1:54:21 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 31, 2017 at 3:00:43 pm

[Paul Golden] "… whether FCP is a significant part of Apple's business ( of course it's not)"

Right. 600 million if not in fact going on a BILLION bucks is just chump change for Apple, that they just chuckle at while sipping Martinis on their yachts. No future in that. And that's not even counting the Macs that were sold for the sole or primary sake of running FCP & Co., which I'd say is pretty safe to say is somewhere in the thousands.

But then I guess you think that PPro and AE are a "significant part" of Adobe's business next to Acrobat and Photoshop, too? Or Resolve and Fusion etc. a "significant part" of BMD's next to their various hardware? Not to forget AVID and Media Composer being a "significant part" of their now rather insignificant business?

😂

Whatever. I guess certain weak memes and logical fallacies will never die… oh well.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Aug 31, 2017 at 5:48:58 pm

It's hard to compare Apple with Adobe when it comes to software sales discussions/strategies.

Although Apple charges for certain software, it uses software sales as somewhat of a loss-leader for its hardware universe that includes not only workstations, but tablets, phones and other devices. That is why Apple can afford to sell FCP for $300.

Adobe is a software company that must make all of its money from software sales. The Creative Cloud represents the fact that once the software is no longer physical (installation disks, 18-month refresh cycles, etc.), the marginal cost of including all-you-can eat is zero. So the more products they include in the Creative Cloud suite, the more valuable it is to the end user without a great deal of extra expense to Adobe. Even though Premiere and After Effects is a fraction of Photoshop's user base, it is an important part of Adobe's Cloud ecosystem.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 1, 2017 at 9:01:14 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 1, 2017 at 9:18:33 am

[Paul Golden] "It's hard to compare Apple with Adobe when it comes to software sales discussions/strategies."

But, oddly, that was only one of three comparisons I brought up. I guess it's telling that you ignored every other one.

[Paul Golden] "it uses software sales as somewhat of a loss-leader for its hardware […] That is why Apple can afford to sell FCP for $300."

Oh, right. 600 million to even a billion in revenue, depending on what you include in the package, is totally what any and everyone would consider a "loss-leader". Ab-so-lutly!

Exactly how much do you figure software development like that costs?? 1.5 billion?? 😂

[Paul Golden] "Even though Premiere and After Effects is a fraction of Photoshop's user base, it is an important part of Adobe's Cloud ecosystem."

Don't think I've ever seen anyone counter-argue their own point any better and not notice it. 😄

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 31, 2017 at 9:57:59 am

[Michael Gissing] "Whether you can imagine it or not, there are still an astonishing number of broadcast documentaries being cut on 7. As a doco post finisher I still get more from FCP7 than Pr, Avid & X (in that order)."

Then that's the epitome of masochism and obtuseness IMO and I for one have absolutely no sympathy. They are willfully and intentionally working with an NLE that has been DEAD for over six years and the "Will it work?!" question has come up for every iteration of macOS since. Therefore any and all issues, problems or incompatibilities are 100% self-inflicted and have nothing to do with Apple or anyone else. There's no "How was I supposed to know?!" to save you from the responsibility or to talk your way out of it. There are real things that are more worth getting artificially perturbed over.

- RK

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 31, 2017 at 10:18:36 pm

[Robin S. Kurz]"Then that's the epitome of masochism and obtuseness IMO and I for one have absolutely no sympathy."

Absolutely right that it's your opinion. Doesn't alter the fact that there are more holdouts than converts in my little world and even then the converts are prefering Pr & Avid to X. I don't expect people to judge everything on my little world either.

No need for sympathy. Most have dual boot or dual partition and are also holding onto old Mac Pros as well or building Hackintoshes. They don't want or need your sympathy. They are just noting the OS developments and working around them. And none of them including me is angry or surprised at Apple. Many indeed are shocked that it took them longer than usual to poleaxe pesky old software.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 1, 2017 at 8:45:37 am

[Michael Gissing] "Absolutely right that it's your opinion."

Yeah. If only I were FAR from alone with it, too.

[Michael Gissing] "Doesn't alter the fact that there are more holdouts than converts in my little world and even then the converts are prefering Pr & Avid to X."

While at the same time the numbers show that there are more FCP users now than there ever were. Go figure.

[Michael Gissing] "I don't expect people to judge everything on my little world either."

Other than yourself, of course. 😄

[Michael Gissing] "Most have dual boot or dual partition and are also holding onto old Mac Pros as well or building Hackintoshes."

Which makes an amazing amount of "professional" sense, I'm sure. Totally worth it for dead, inferior software. I'm sure somewhere, someone actually even thinks that's healthy, clever business sense. Which leads me back to my original point…

[Michael Gissing] "to poleaxe pesky old software"

Or users? (case in point) 😜

- RK

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 1, 2017 at 9:02:22 am

There's a massive amount of post for TV in the U.K. completed on older dual boot Mac Pro systems that run fcp7, avid and resolve.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 1, 2017 at 5:10:41 pm

If I've learned anything in 20 plus years as a freelance editor it's that you need to embrace new technology and not fight it. The more adaptable you are, the more employable you will be.

The technical advancements of the post industry have been staggering since I started editing on sony umatic. And each development while sometimes initially painful has inevitably led to overall workflow improvements.

But I guess fighting against change is deeply ingrained in the human psyche.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]